A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Food

Cheese, Glorious Cheese

(1/14) > >>

Celany:
I was just sitting here reading ehell and browsing, whilst feasting on a gouda, when I realized that there is no cheese thread in the food area. And that seems like a crime!  ;D

Soooo...cheese! Do you live in a region that has a famous cheese? Do you have feelings on the best cheeses out there?

I am a huge lover of cheese, and love getting my hands on some local, delightful cheese. My currant favorites are Constant Bliss and Bayley Hazen Blue both made by Jasper Hill Farm in VT. Constant Bliss is an amazing creamy delicious wonder & Bayley Hazen Blue is a really different thick, spicy Blue that makes my nose pucker up in that weird "aaah, so strong, so delicious!" way.

I really want to get back to Europe sometime to have a crack at all the wonderful unpasteurized cheeses, since all soft cheese here in the US are supposed to be pasteurized for safety.  :-\ I hear that kills so much wonderful flavor.

What about you? Does your area have a cheese that's awesome? Do you think it's worth the hype? Do you ever covet other cheeses?

Rohanna:
http://www.cheesefarm.ca/

These guys are just outside of my town :)

I am fairly lactose intolerant (and the pills don't work for me, waaah!)  but the aged gouda and aged swiss they make is so low in lactose I can actually eat it! This makes me very happy, as the swiss in particular is sharp deliciousness!

SamiHami:
Handmade cheese from the Amish! Love it!

But of course the best cheese is homemade-I've been making my own for awhile and I love it.

Thipu1:
Best cheeses ever have to be:

Curds so fresh that they squeak when you bite into them.

New England, New York, and English Cheddar so sharp that it has sclera and crud oozing out of it.

Mozzarella that's so fresh it is still a bit warm. 

Nibsey:
I'm no cheese expert but I enjoy dublineer cheddar and cashel blue cheese.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version