Author Topic: Cheese, Glorious Cheese  (Read 10055 times)

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheese, Glorious Cheese
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Fresh squeaks are amazing, but they can be hard to find - unless you live right by the creamery.  I don't let that bother me.  Some of the smoked and herbed squeaks are still heavenly.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

jibby

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Giant POD to the PP that said Amish cheese.  I don't know exactly what type of cheese it is, but Milton Creamery in Iowa/Missouri (right on the border) makes one called Prairie Breeze.  It's like a sharp white cheddar, a tiny bit salty and tart. 

Any brie with any topping.  I never liked bleu until my 20s, now I gobble it straight out of the container.  Mizithra on pasta.  DH and I routinely, happily have colby-jack or sharp cheddar and crackers for dinner.  I'm generally not a fan of processed cheese, but I will fight for a bit of heavenly, gooey Provel.   :P

I'm trying to remember if I've ever had cheese that I disliked.  Don't think I have.  My dream is a tour across Europe, tasting every wine and cheese I can find. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »
Oooh, juustoleipa (Finnish bread cheese) warmed in the microwave for 15 seconds, with honey on it.
Words mean things.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
I can't have much in the way of soft cheese; it does terrible things to my innards.  So I'm stuck with the harder cheeses (the closest I can get to a soft cheese is a harder mozzarella!).  I adore sharp cheddars like Tillamook!  One of the upscale grocery chains in my area has a huge selection of cheeses and a cheese expert to walk you through it all.  The one day I asked for some help was like I'd died and gone to heaven...so many flavors! 

My DH really likes Jarlsberg and a few other white cheeses...I'll have to ask him what they are when he gets home.

DistantStar

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
My parents are on the East Coast and Tillamook is in the expensive import cheese section there.

When my mom came here -- Idaho -- and saw the expanses of Tillamook goodness that wasn't way too expensive, I think she was ready to move on the spot just for the cheese!

I love cheddar, the sharper the better.  And I adore cheese curds as well; I found a bag once at the local store from somewhere in Utah that was actually squeaky.  Once.  I haven't seen it again.  There's another brand that I can get but they're a bit lacking in the squeak.  *sigh* 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
I love making yogurt cheese.... and you know, now you all are making me hungry. :)

DuBois

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

Gorgonzola. My new favourite food in the world. That tang and creaminess. I love Stilton, but gorgonzola beats it hands down.

A little round cheese called 'Isle of Arran Cheddar', sharp cheddar, with herbs. Yum.

Brie de Meaux. Somerset Brie is ok, but Brie de Meaux is the food of the gods.

Bavarian smoked cheese, creamy and a little rubbery.

Wensleydale with cranberries or, even better, blueberries.

Herbed roulades of cream cheese.

I have a cheese shop near me, and cheese is my weekly indulgence. It costs me, but it is worth it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »

Wensleydale with cranberries or, even better, blueberries.

I JUST bought some of this but it got shoved in the back of the fridge and I totally forgot about it.  It was pricy, but looked yummy.  I'll bring it out tomorrow and test drive it.

Waterlight

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 01:19:37 AM »
Leeby, fresh squeaky cheese curds are on my bucket list. I understand you have to eat 'em within 24 hours of manufacture or they don't squeak.

Y'all might want to cast an eye toward Sartori cheese: http://www.sartoricheese.com/

My current fave: their Balsamic Bellavitano. It has the crystals of Dubliner, but is slightly more creamy, and has balsamic vinegar all over the outside.

My favorite is their Espresso Bellavitano.  Two of my favorite food obsessions--cheese AND coffee--in a single food item  :D

Beecher's cheeses (http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/) are local to Seattle and I especially love their No Woman cheese, which has Jamaican jerk seasoning in it.

Mimolette is another favorite of mine.

My local grocery store has a huge cheese section and I'll often find little slivers of cheeses to try in a "$5 and under" basket!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Library Dragon

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
I luuuuuve cheese.  A nice soft gorgonzola is my favorite.

I'm fortunate to have great chèvre makers near me.
Belle Chèvre, http://www.bellechevre.com/index.php, has won much acclaim, but I actually like Humble Heart better, http://www.humbleheartfarms.com.  I eat it on toast, dried apricots, in pasta, etc. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Margo

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
Mmmm cheese.

I'm lucky enough to live within striking distance of two glorious cheese shops - http://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/index.php/shop.html and http://www.finecheese.co.uk/our-cheeses/all-our-cheeses.html

I'm not fond of blue cheeses or cheese with fruit in it but will happily eat almost anything else. - There's a local apple-smokes cheddar which is yummy, and I love Wensleydale and Lanchashire - both go beautifully with christmas cake or mince pies, or as a savoury snack.

A favourite wuick meal (or starter) is baked camembert - stick a few cloves of garlic into the cheese, pour some port over it  and bake til it goes gooey. bliss!

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
If you can find Parrano, I highly recommend it. It is FABULOUS as a snack cheese.

http://www.parrano.com/

I love:

a nice cave aged Gruyere
 triple creme camembert
super sharp aged cheddar
fresh mozzarella
gorgonzola
boursin

So many cheeses, so little time. LOL
No matter where you go, there you are...

Barney girl

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
POD everything above.  I can (and often do) have cheese with every meal.  :) 

I simply had to try Wensleydale cheese because of a movie.   (Don't judge me.  It was Wallace and Gromit.  I love them!)

Wallace and Gromit helped save the Hawes creamery. I say this in all seriousness.

There are a few sharp slightly sour cheeses such as Caerphilly and Leicester which I love. A good strong cheddar is wonderful. Plus there are some great local cheeses like Northumberland cheeses or Cotherstone. I've had some wonderful cheeses in SWest Scotland as well.

I'd not seen this thread before. Cotherstone cheese is quite a rarity, I think there's only one or two farms make it. Our neighbours used to serve it  instead of Wensleydale with Christmas cake when I was a child. I've always found it a little sour for my taste, but it's nice to see that it is appreciated.

Tying etiquette into the thread - a couple I know have a daughter who is married to a French man. I can't recall if they took a selection of British cheeses with them on a visit to France, or offered them to eat in this country, but apparently his parents refused to touch them, asking why they would want to when France is known for its cheeses.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
How obnoxious of them!

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »

The best cheese ever in my opinion is Wensleydale from the Hawes Creamery in Yorkshire.

http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/cheeses/

It's so wonderful and creamy and goes with everything from crackers to fruit cake.  I don't much care for cheese on its own but this one I can't resist.

POD x 100000000 :D  Except no one sells it here, and I don't even know if I can eat it anymore. But it's freakin delicious :D

WAAAAAAH, I want the delicious English cheese too!!! Someday, maybe I'll see if I can get someone to smuggle me some...  >:D

They deliver to the US; you can order right from that website. :)

(I highly recommend the smoked Wensleydale... it tastes like bacon-cheese.)

I used to live sort-of near the Cabot creamery in Vermont. They have free tours. Last time I went on a tour I ended up buying several pounds of 5-year-old cheddar (let's not discuss how much other cheese I bought in addition, ok?). It was fantastic.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS