Author Topic: Cheese, Glorious Cheese  (Read 9208 times)

KimberlyM

Re: Cheese, Glorious Cheese
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
I live in Oregon, there is ALWAYS a 2lb block of Tillamook cheddar in my fridge.  My husband and I went to the factory once, I was in heaven!  I'm also a fan of the Dubliner white cheddar.  One of the hardest things to give up on Weight Watchers for me has been cheese.  Give me some cheese and french bread and I'm happy for life.  I'm certain I could live on just those 2 items. 

Since on Weight Watchers I've been hunting for cheeses that don't kill me point-wise but still taste good.  Cabot has a 75% reduced fat cheese that's pretty good, both in white and orange cheddar.  I prefer the white, but it's hard to find. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
I live in Plano, TX and I can get Tillamook cheese at Walmart.  When it first came to this market, it was the cheapest cheese they carried.  (The heaven)  I know I've converted at least a dozen people by serving it at parties.  I pretty much love all cheeses except Blue.  My 2-year-old seems to be the same.  She's quite adventurous with cheeses.  I think she'd eat grated parmesan with a spoon if we let her. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
I live in Oregon, there is ALWAYS a 2lb block of Tillamook cheddar in my fridge.  My husband and I went to the factory once, I was in heaven!  I'm also a fan of the Dubliner white cheddar.  One of the hardest things to give up on Weight Watchers for me has been cheese.  Give me some cheese and french bread and I'm happy for life.  I'm certain I could live on just those 2 items. 

Since on Weight Watchers I've been hunting for cheeses that don't kill me point-wise but still taste good.  Cabot has a 75% reduced fat cheese that's pretty good, both in white and orange cheddar.  I prefer the white, but it's hard to find.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a product called Lite Celtic Cheddar that I like. The texture is pretty good and a really nice strong cheddar flavor, much more UK cheddar than US and is white. An ounce is 70 calories and 4gs of fat.  I think the Cabot which I also buy and it's lower in calories and only 2.5g fat but I like the stronger flavor of the Celtic Cheddar.

Trader Joe's also has a product they call an Unexpected Cheddar that tastes like a strong cheddar with a little parmesean.  It is not a smooth texture, much more crumbly but has a really great flavor. It's much higher in fat and calories but I find I use less because of the strong flavor if cooking.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
So many cheeses, so little time.

DH loves the Hopyard Cheddar made by Rogue Creamery, it has hop clusters in the cheese.
http://www.roguecreamery.com/store/product/3100/Hopyard-Cheddar/

I can take a little of it, but not very much. I have enjoyed every other cheese I have tried, particularly very sharp and aged Cheddars with crystals.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
Cabot varieties are wonderful and they've been available in NYC for the last few years.  We always have a bar on hand. 

MIL still refuses to believe that the cheese can be found outside of New England and tries to push pounds of it on us when we visit. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
Cabot is awesome, particularly their aged varieties.

Seaside cheddar is a favorite.

Redwing

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
When I visited my sister in Springfield, we went to an Amish grocery store that was not far away.  They had a green onion cheese that was to die for.  I can't find anything like it anywhere else.  Next time I go to see her, I'm stocking up as best I can.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
Tasmania is known for great dairy produce.

There's an island to the north, King Island.  There's something in the grass there that grows great beef and dairy cattle.  The beef is to die for, and the cheeses are better.  King Island Double Cream Brie is superb, and the Seal Bay Triple Cream Brie is heaven (and heart attack) on a cracker.  They also do a blue version of both brie and camembert, and an ash covered version as well.

There are several other boutique cheesemakers scattered around Tassie, and quite often they have tours and 'cellar door' sales.  Many of the cheeses are available in the local supermarkets.  (As for cellar doors, we also have great wineries!) 

I love my cheese...  this thread has given me some serious munchies. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
Apparently I need to move to tasmania... hm.......

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
Went to Whole Foods Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed some cheese.

My favorite supermarket cheese is Cabot Seriously Sharp white Cheddar cheese. I have some at work and some at home and on Townhouse wheat crackers, it is sublime.
I am making a tart apple, raisin, and walnut chutney to have with my cheese and crackers. Yum!  :D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:41 AM »
I forgot to mention - I grew up loathing parmesan cheese, probably because it was the pre-grated stuff in the shaker that smells like barf...  I just couldn't get over the smell.  The taste was OK, and I do love a good strong sharp cheese, but the olfactory assault was too much for me.

Some time back I tried fresh parmesan.  It is wonderful!  And it just smells like cheese!

Apparently (or so I have been told) parmesan shouldn't smell bad, if it does it is because it's past the best use date. 

(Add this to the thread of things an adult really should know, because I didn't...)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
Went to Whole Foods Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed some cheese.

My favorite supermarket cheese is Cabot Seriously Sharp white Cheddar cheese. I have some at work and some at home and on Townhouse wheat crackers, it is sublime.
I am making a tart apple, raisin, and walnut chutney to have with my cheese and crackers. Yum!  :D

I use that cheese when making my macaroni and cheese. That cheese is amazing!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
Cabot cheese is on sale this week at Publix! If you are within the boundaries of their territory. 2 for $5!

snowfire

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
WSU in Pullman has Cougar Gold, which is a lovely aged white cheddar & I love their dill garlic cheese as well.

Waterlight

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »
WSU in Pullman has Cougar Gold, which is a lovely aged white cheddar & I love their dill garlic cheese as well.

That was my dad's favorite cheese!   I went to WSU (Washington State University) for a couple of years of graduate school and for the next two years, at Christmas he'd get one of those round tins of Cougar Gold as a gift from me.  :)

WSU has a creamery on campus that makes the cheese... and they have an ice cream shop called Ferdinand's too!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson