Author Topic: Cheese, Glorious Cheese  (Read 9440 times)

dawnfire

Re: Cheese, Glorious Cheese
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
Tasmania is known for great dairy produce.

There's an island to the north, King Island.  There's something in the grass there that grows great beef and dairy cattle.  The beef is to die for, and the cheeses are better.  King Island Double Cream Brie is superb, and the Seal Bay Triple Cream Brie is heaven (and heart attack) on a cracker.  They also do a blue version of both brie and camembert, and an ash covered version as well.

There are several other boutique cheesemakers scattered around Tassie, and quite often they have tours and 'cellar door' sales.  Many of the cheeses are available in the local supermarkets.  (As for cellar doors, we also have great wineries!) 

I love my cheese...  this thread has given me some serious munchies.

I agree with king lsland cheeses. I'm quite fond of their roaring 40's blue vein cheese

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 03:46:29 AM »
Baked brie with roasted garlic in a bread bowl.  So good!  You dip pieces of bread or crackers in it.  The downside?  Garlic breath.

I don't think there's been a kind of cheese that I've tried and didn't like.  Other favorites are extra sharp cheddar, goat cheese, blue cheese, muenster, mozzarella, and homemade farmer's cheese.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
During a recent food tour in Italy we were given a Riccota Lemon and a saffron flavored cheese to try amongst others. The saffron was great but the lemon ricotta had us swooning. I've tried researching availability in the states but can't find it. Has any one come across this? It's thick ricotta that can be sliced.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Posting the apple, raisin, and walnut chutney recipe under recipe requests.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
During a recent food tour in Italy we were given a Riccota Lemon and a saffron flavored cheese to try amongst others. The saffron was great but the lemon ricotta had us swooning. I've tried researching availability in the states but can't find it. Has any one come across this? It's thick ricotta that can be sliced.

was it Ricotta Salata?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I found Provolone Manteche yesterday while shopping at Sam's club.

It is an aged provolone with fresh butter in the center. http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=22

Serving instructions from the website: "To serve slice the cheese into wedges to include both the Provolone and the butter and pair with bread or fruit."

BigBadBetty

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
My favorite regional cheese is Rush Creek Reserve. It is seasonal so I can't even get it now. I think it's limited availability makes it more appealing. It's similar to a Vacherin Mont d'Or. I also like that company's Pleasant Ridge Reserve. The other regional cheese I love is Carr Valley Cave-Aged Marisa. It's a sheep's milk cheese. We love going to the Carr Valley store and buying the little ends of cheese.

I don't love cheddar cheese. I've tried a bunch of different types. I even tried a 15-year cheddar was supposed to be a big deal. It was OK. I hate smoked cheese. (I hate smoked anything.) I like just about every other type. I even like Limburger (but only once in a while).

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

was it Ricotta Salata?

No, it was a baked ricotta, but the cheese monger was insistent it wasn't cheesecake though it had some similarity in texture but just not overly sweet.  The name was Ricotta al Forno Al Limone.