Author Topic: Scrambled Eggs for 100  (Read 8577 times)

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
Scrambled Eggs for 100
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
I volunteered to help cook breakfast for around 100 people (I'm a glutton for punishment).

We're doing scrambled eggs, I my initial plan was to have a couple of pans going and scramble 3 to 4 dozen at a time.  I did some Googling and found a couple of recipes that call for baking the eggs, stirring and baking some more:
                  http://www.grouprecipes.com/48085/church-breakfast-eggs-for-100.html
                  http://lotsofinfo.tripod.com/H53scrambledeggs.htm

That sounds like a lot less work, but I'm hesitant to do something like this without trying it first, and I don't have the need for 200 or even 24 before I cook this.

Has anyone done eggs this way before?

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: Scrambled Eggs for 100
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
Kinda like a quiche? Sure.  They come out great. I've even done [small amounts] in the microwave - though I probably wouldnt suggest that for multiple dozen~!

Good luck!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
When we used to do Sunday breakfasts at the church, we found the easiest way was using an electric frying pan with higher sides and doing 6-7 batches, each containing about 25 eggs. (Use a little more cream/milk than normal)

That way, each batch was fresh. We found that after the eggs sit for more than half hour or so they get a really unappetizing rubbery texture.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
I echo Poirot's advice.

Will this be buffet line service? 

Doing eggs on batches is more labor intensive, but gives you better product.

And of course, consider your staging. Will all 100 be eating scrambled eggs? Or is it a breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs as an option?  Your actual egg need will probably vary from 75 to 250, depending on what else is available. How many eggs are you going to pre-crack, what will you do with leftover cracked but not yet cooked eggs, and what is your benchmark for when to crack more eggs? 

Having neither too much nor too little, and still serving the beat scrambled eggs possible is an art.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
It will be a buffet line, eggs, hash browns, sausages, french toast sticks (frozen), fruit and pastries.

I initially wanted to scramble them as we go to ensure we had fresh eggs, I know they will continue to cook in the chafing dish.  We are also estimating 100, its a homecoming type brunch at church, so we have no clue how many will show up.  Scrambling as we go would ensure we don't run out and don't waste a bunch of eggs.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
My parents used to volunteer to make breakfast at our church on Sundays.  This involved cooking a lot of bacon, eggs, and a few other things for a few different waves of people.

The kitchen at the church had a big griddle, essentially (a big expanse of smooth metal to do things like cook pancakes on), and that was where they cooked eggs.  When I went with my parents to help, my job was usually to crack a couple dozen eggs into a big plastic pitcher and then beat the heck out of them with a whisk.  Then someone would take that pitcher and dump it onto the griddle to scramble the eggs.

I've never baked eggs except to make egg-based breakfast casseroles, but I would say that doing eggs in batches of 2-4 dozen at a time is probably going to be better than making 100 eggs at once.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
I think the baked eggs as less work may be illusory. Do you have one oven not only to dedicate to the eggs, but with a dedicated traffic pattern? 

Visualize the oven available. Now imagine standing at it (or hunkering in front of it), opening the door, pulling the rack, stirring the eggs, getting the rack inside, etc. It may not be that labor effective after all.

Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
My parents used to volunteer to make breakfast at our church on Sundays.  This involved cooking a lot of bacon, eggs, and a few other things for a few different waves of people.

The kitchen at the church had a big griddle, essentially (a big expanse of smooth metal to do things like cook pancakes on), and that was where they cooked eggs.  When I went with my parents to help, my job was usually to crack a couple dozen eggs into a big plastic pitcher and then beat the heck out of them with a whisk.  Then someone would take that pitcher and dump it onto the griddle to scramble the eggs.

I've never baked eggs except to make egg-based breakfast casseroles, but I would say that doing eggs in batches of 2-4 dozen at a time is probably going to be better than making 100 eggs at once.

We considered a casserole, the problems with that is that the last time we did that it they ran out, and it would require getting their ridiculously early to put it on (our recipe needs 1.5 hours to cook).

I think the baked eggs as less work may be illusory. Do you have one oven not only to dedicate to the eggs, but with a dedicated traffic pattern? 

Visualize the oven available. Now imagine standing at it (or hunkering in front of it), opening the door, pulling the rack, stirring the eggs, getting the rack inside, etc. It may not be that labor effective after all.

The church kitchen has more than enough oven space, I'm just concerned how they would turn out.  My thought was do 100 eggs that way then scramble as needed to top off the serving line.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
As fast as it is to scramble eggs, I think I'd just go with using the kitchen griddle or the electric fry pan idea.  You can scramble a dozen eggs in about 5 minutes, so in half an hour you can have 6 dozen eggs done.  Baking eggs will take about as long.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:10:04 AM »

I'd stick with a griddle, scramble in batches of about 20 at a time.  It won't take much longer than the baking, will skip any guesswork (what happens if the baked eggs take 20 minutes longer or shorter than expected), and you can restock as needed, to avoid waste. Plus, eggs get pretty nasty after not too much time in a buffet line, no matter how they're cooked.

The sausages, fruit and pastry can be done in advance (and leftover sausages can be frozen).  I'd have one person dedicated to each dish that needs to be cooked as you go (I'm not sure how you're doing the hash-browns or french toast), a kitchen gopher to fetch stuff, and two people dedicated to refilling dishes and keeping the buffet tidy, and telling the cooks what needs to be done next.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »
When Heston Blumenthal worked with Little Chef he specified scrambled eggs in a water bath.
http://chadzilla.typepad.com/chadzilla/2008/09/egg-sperimentation-or-thermo-scrambled-eggs.html

A big hot pan with some extra milk and butter and lots of stirring will cook a quarter of your eggs very quickly.

Or you could go to a catering sales place and get powdered scrambled egg and mix it all up at once.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
We had a breakfast meeting at work once and our manager brought in scrambled eggs and bacon from her home.  She scrambled a couple dozen eggs and them put them in her crockpot on low heat.  It worked perfectly!