Author Topic: "Bachelor" traits  (Read 7448 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: "Bachelor" traits
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
I have found my people!

I keep a stack of paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic ware for times when I just can't bear to use a dish. (Usually when the dishwasher is full of clean dishes and I don't want to put them away or start piling dishes in the sink.)
The status is not quo!

Sebastienne

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »
DH is out of town for another week, so I went to the grocery to stock up on my "lazy bachelorette" supplies. When left to my own devices (and without a lot of time), I eat like a four year old.  In my basket: frozen dinners, vitamins, milk, mac & cheese, and a six pack. The guy behind me in line looked at me, looked at my groceries, looked back at me, and said, "What are you--a dude?"

Maybe it is just me, but I found the guy's remark in rather bad taste. Would he have asked a guy who was buying extra virgin olive oil, hummus and veggies if he was a woman?

At the time, I had no idea how to respond, so I gave him a relatively mild version of "the look." But yes, upon later reflection, it was incredibly off-putting, and my response probably should have been more severe. 

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
My husband will drink out of a bowl -- initially it was because he was out of clean cups.  Now he does it to avoid dirtying a cup.
;D
I've used Tupperware lids as cutting boards when I haven't felt like getting out a real cutting board for a small cutting job.  (The T lids are typically already on the counter because ... they just are.)

As noted, I'm guilty of this failed logic too.  The bowl and the Tupperware lid are now dirty, so what is it that makes us think that not using the proper item is a time- or effort-saving step?

It is if you use the lid from the container you just opened! That's what I do, if I'm cutting up cold chicken from leftovers or something.

I wear pjs all day long if I'm not going anywhere. The only reason I wear pants is because I'm too lazy to take them back off after taking the dog out, and then putting them back on an hour later. I sometimes have to go outside six or seven times so I might as well leave them on. The bra stays flung over a chair until I actually have to go somewhere though! (I'm lazy, not insane ;D)

Oh, and we have a mattress and box springs in our living room, because we got a new bed and haven't gotten around to putting that one in storage. It's still got the sheets on it and everything. And it will probably be there until we rent a storage unit and borrow a truck.

And I never actually put the new roll of toilet paper on the roll. Drives my husband bonkers. And the laundry almost never gets put away, except now I have to hang up his work shirts (stupid grown up job. His last job he could show up in a wrinkled tshirt and nobody noticed. Some of them wore pj pants to work on the weekend).

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
I've been married about a year and a half. In that time, Ace and I have eaten *maybe* four meals at the dining room table - three of those four times we had company, the fourth time was when Ace made dinner for me and put candles out etc to make it romantic. We ended up eating our dessert on the couch, anyway.

We tend to leave clothes in baskets when they're clean. Our washing baskets are square so stuff folds up neatly and Ace wears jeans and t-shirts to work.

It's almost one AM on a Sunday, Ace is still in his pyjamas from Friday night and he's sitting behind me playing Battlefield - he's been playing since half five. I may have to send him to bed soon, if I don't he'll stay up all night playing, switching servers as it gets later.

Once every couple of months we do a 'hard reset' when we realise that we're staying up until two or three AM routinely. This involves staying up all night and the next day, going to bed around nine the following evening to try and get our body clocks back in sync.

We have zooper doopers in the freezer (popsicles). - is that 'bachelor/spinster' or just plain childish?
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Bachelor Traits my Husband of almost 30 years continues to do.

He will not close a cabinet door and will not put any condiment back in the refrigerator.  He thinks the lid of the clothes hamper is the maw of H*ll and refuses to put anything inside.  All must be piled on the top.  (He will do the wash, though :))

My Bachelor traits are similar. 

I enjoy chugging juice from the carton.  I will bring books to bed and stuff them under my pillow when I want to go to sleep.  I will also bring a large glass of milk to bed and chug it when the spirit moves me.           

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

And I never actually put the new roll of toilet paper on the roll. Drives my husband bonkers. And the laundry almost never gets put away, except now I have to hang up his work shirts (stupid grown up job. His last job he could show up in a wrinkled tshirt and nobody noticed. Some of them wore pj pants to work on the weekend).

Hehehe - I have a funny story about this; growing up I never did either, and it drove my father's bonkers.  It really irked him, but for me, wasn't an issue at all.  Now that I'm all grown-up, it irks ME when I forget to put it on the roll!!!  Guess dad got the last laugh.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
I never put the toilet paper back on the roll in my bathroom because whoever installed the thing put the holders too far apart, and if I pull on the paper the the toilet paper and the spring-loaded thingamajig in the middle flies across the room.  So, the TP sits on the counter in my bathroom.  (Plus, for where the holder is located I'd have to be a contortionist to get to it.) 

I've drunk coffee out of soup cups because we didn't have enough clean coffee cups.  I've also eaten ice cream out of a measuring cup because we didn't have any clean bowls.  We have a dishwasher and don't use it (I don't know if it's even been opened in the seven years we've lived here).  We have an apartment-sized washer and dryer, and sometimes I get creative in combining loads so I don't have to do a bunch of small loads.  I've washed jeans with dark towels and light-colored clothes with whites.  When we first got married Mr. Sirius wore white uniforms to work, and they were so dingy and yellow because he never bleached them.  I began bleaching them, and he looked like Mr. Clean. 

We used to use drying racks to dry our clothes in winter because we didn't have a clothes dryer.  I had bought myself a washer that hooked to the kitchen sink (easily the best $420 I've ever spent, believe me) because whoever designed my mobile home had left out washer/dryer hookups. 

We don't own a dining room table.  We have a folding table that I use for cutting out sewing patterns, and we've used that for company dinner, but the rest of the time we eat in front of our computers.

JoW

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
I thought of a few more

I have a small freezer, the same size as a large dorm refrigerator.  I use so little food a package will spoil before I eat it all.  I freeze things most people would never freeze:
Brown sugar, still in the bag, lay it flat so I can break of a chunk without thawing the whole bag.
Ground beef, crumbled and frozen on a cookie sheet, then poured in a zip lock bag.  I can grab a handfull and put the rest back in the freezer.
Balogna, also frozen on a cookie sheet, with plastic wrap between the layers.  (1 package is 3 layers.  I've got some freezing now.)  When its solid fold the meat and wrap to fit in a zip lock bag. 

I also freeze bread and other baked goods.  I make a sandwich on frozen bread, return it to the freezer, and take it to work the next day. 

I use my dishwasher, running it about twice each week.  I wash the cat food plates along with my dishes. 

I stock-up on facial tissue and decongestant, enough to last through 1 typical cold.  If I get sick I don't have anyone who can run to the store for me. 

I do not own a single full set of dishes or silverware.  I see no need for one.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
my peeps!

-When I go grocery shopping I only put away the cold stuff. Canned goods and other non perishables will stay on the counter until I use them up or it's the day before the cleaning crew comes in when I will run around stashing stuff in whatever cupboard is closest. (despite the fact I have a pantry with plenty of space.)

-Drink straight out of the bottle/carton

-Use paper plates because I hate washing dishes. As a result my dishwasher only gets run when my mom comes to visit, I run out of drinking glasses, or forks to eat with. Once clean, they usually don't get put away until mom does it. (she comes to visit about once every month).

-I eat in front of the computer while I play WoW. I have no dining room table.

-Laundry sits in the dryer until I wear it, unless it is something that wrinkles badly then it *might* get hung up. Often I have to put a wet towel and run the dryer again to be able to wear something. I don't iron, ever.

-When I get home, the clothes and shoes come off and get laid whereever. I don't get dressed again until I have to go out for some reason or expect someone to come over. It's so hot right now, it actually saves me money to walk around bucky. I don't have to run the AC as much and I don't have much laundry to do besides work clothes and underwear.  ;D

-Loves when mom comes to visit because she empties the dishwasher, goes grocery shopping and does my (1 load) of laundry and puts it all away.

Arizona

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
I do not separate whites and colors. I do laundry twice a month- one for clothes, and one for towels and linens. I hang up the towels and linens in the garage so I only run the dryer once. I wash everything in cold water at the lowest water level. I do not know if this makes me cheap, greenie, or simply a slob. And yes, I do have enough clothes and undergarments to last a whole month.
I have pet mice!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »
I do not separate whites and colors. I do laundry twice a month- one for clothes, and one for towels and linens. I hang up the towels and linens in the garage so I only run the dryer once. I wash everything in cold water at the lowest water level. I do not know if this makes me cheap, greenie, or simply a slob. And yes, I do have enough clothes and undergarments to last a whole month.

I like how you think!  I live in an apt, so I have to schlep to the laundry room to do mine, but I mix stuff too.  Depending on how much I have, I will wash towels with clothes, and I never ever do just whites.  I do whites and lights together.  I do wash my undies separately, with my sheets and towels, as I saw something once on the dirtiest places in your house, and the laundry basket was one of them.  So in order to remove, um, certain germies from my undies, i wash them in hot water.

As for drying, i have a gigantic drying rack I use, as the dryers only allow you to set for one hour, and even on delicate, its still fairly hot.  I also do my laundry not as often as I shoudl; i strive for once a week, but being that I can only really do it after work (weekends are a nightmare) as they lock the room at 9pm, I have enough undies to last me quite some time without doing laundry.

lipli

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
I'm not sure what this makes me.  But I'm constantly breaking dishes or glasses (usually in the most hilarious way possible).  Due to that I have odd numbers of stuff.  When I get too low on a certain piece, I buy I new set (strangely I want them to match).  So I have 7 bowls, 3 large plates and 6 small plates.  I think, I need to buy more plates so I can invite more people over but then I realize, it's just me and I can get by with my current set up so I don't end up with too many bowls. 

I also eat a lot of non-meal meals.  I feed myself primarily from the appetizer section of Trader Joes. 

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
We don't put the toilet paper on the roll, but that's more because whoever designed the apartment put the holder on the opposite side of the (tiny) bathroom from the toilet, underneath the towel rack. Yeah, because I really want to use soggy toilet paper on a regular basis...

We eat dinner in front of the TV. We used to have a dining room table, but I commandeered it for my crafts and gerbils since it wasn't being used for its original purpose.

All our "wall art" is held up with pushpins.

We have a lovely selection of napkins from a variety of fast food establishments.

Redsoil

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »
DH is out of town for another week, so I went to the grocery to stock up on my "lazy bachelorette" supplies. When left to my own devices (and without a lot of time), I eat like a four year old.  In my basket: frozen dinners, vitamins, milk, mac & cheese, and a six pack. The guy behind me in line looked at me, looked at my groceries, looked back at me, and said, "What are you--a dude?"

See, I'd have laughed at that and agreed!  My shopping (even though I'm actually married) quite often looks like I'm not.  Hubby and I tend to have fairly different schedules, so I'll quite often just get "easy stuff" I can eat when I get home from work.  This may or may not include things like frozen meals, chips and dip, munchies, cans of drink (no washing up) etc.

Other undesireable traits include:  wandering about the house nekkid, standing in front of the fridge with the door open, trying to figure out if there's anything to eat; avoiding phone calls (love my answering machine), bringing the dog (kelpie) inside to hoover up the crumbs on the floor and various other things.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
I used to have dogs, so when I drop something on the kitchen floor, I reflexively tap my toes next to it and leave it there.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)