Author Topic: A traveller's guide to Australia  (Read 6524 times)

Shopaholic

Re: A traveller's guide to Australia
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »
Oh, I just remembered:

For people planning a trip to Australia - if you get an ETA (an electronic visa that you can get online, which is standard for US citizens), print out the authorization AND the email you receive confirming it.
Despite the fact that the website tells you that you don't need to print out the confirmation.
The airlines require some sort of confirmation, and we spent a good hour taking care of this (no duty free time :()

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »

They didn't even open an eye when we approached. I was amazed at how an animal evolved to be so lazy :) Anyway, that totally made my day.

Geek fact on koalas: They are a great example of every niche being filled. Eucalyptus leaves are very toxic but a plentiful source of food. So the sleep-all-day thing is so that their bodies can process the toxins. Basically all they ever do is eat and sleep :)

That and the toxins (when they first eat the leaves) have the same effect on the koalas as a fine red wine has on most humans... they sleep so much because they're actually drunk.

It sounds like you had a great trip down here - and you're right about putting off Phillip Island - it's a two or three hour drive from Melbourne to get out there.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
**envious**

(and my husband just HAS to see any museum that has to do with aviation).

(Not an Australian, but I hang ot a LOT at Flyertalk)

Did you go to the QANTAS museum at Longreach?

Very near the top of my bucket list is to go to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary near Brisbane. Perhaps in November...