Author Topic: The Romance Novel Title Game  (Read 10560 times)

Shea

The Romance Novel Title Game
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Inspired by the romance novel conversation currently going on in the "Well THAT was the worst book ever!" thread, I present the Romance Novel Game. Thanks Bardess for the inspiration! The way it works is this: someone creates a suitably ridiculous romance novel title. The next poster writes a short blurb for that title of the sort found on the back of a book, then adds a new title at the end for the next poster to do the same. Does that make sense? Here's a title to start us off.

Partially-Dressed Outlaw of the Pecos

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
Re: The Romance Novel Title Game
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
He was a rough and ready cowboy, whose laundry was stolen by coyotes, she was a mild mannered girl working in her uncle's laundry.  The friction between them couldn't withstand the soapy tenderness of their love.  Coming in Winter 2011 from Product Placement Publishers.

Next Title

Romance under the Laurels of a Country Estate

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
Kinda off-topic, but on the subject of romance titles . . .

1) One of the women in my romance group recently had the publisher retitle her Western-themed romance "Seducing the Sheriff."  She was having a hard time coming up with titles for the upcoming sequels, so we helped her come up with some: second in the series should be "Diddling the Deputy," followed by "Pleasuring the Pinkerton" . . . she pleaded with us not to tell her publisher this  :P

2) Another of my writer friends got the cover back for her upcoming Harlequin title, and was very excited that the picture is actually good.  (Okay, the guy was gorgeous.)  She joked that she's nicknamed the male cover model "Mr. Yummy."  Which led us to wonder what kind of series that would be - "Mr Yummy Goes to Washington," "Mr. Yummy Does Dallas," etc.  ;D

Sanity Lost

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »
He was the wasteral son of the lord jilted at the alter and drowning his sorrows on his country estate.

She was the beautiful daughter of the local squire who spurned his drunken advances and yet ached to be near his side to comfort his broken heart.

He did me wrong and I want a dog!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »
He was the senior football star! She was the bookish 4H pagent princess. Their marriage was fairy tale style! Until he cheated on her with the cheerleading team. The MALE cheerleading team.

Now she's searching for a new love and a good bulldog, little does she know she'll find both at the humane society booth at PetsMart.

Published by the French Bulldog Rescue Society.

"The Unsatisfied Yearning of the Otaku"
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
She was a college girl with cat ears and a yaoi paddle. He was a marine biology professor with a tentacle fetish. Can two nerds overcome their shame in front of the mundanes and find a real outlet? Will a sudden trip to Japan unlock their wild sides?

"Dangerous Flirtations with the Obscenely Muscular Italian Viscount"

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Big, beefy Count Galileo meets the gentle kitchenmaid Stella as she takes out his trash. Overcome with their differences in station, gentle Stella secretly teaches Count Galileo about love, reproduction and how to count to ten. But when he fulfills his lifelong dream of reciting the alphabet to his family, can their love survive the ensuing conflict of interest in employers dating employees.

Fifi and Ladida's Secret Rapture in the Cat's Garden of Joy.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
Fifi was an innocent, untried botanist with a talent for creating feline-shaped topiary. Ladida was a fiery, spirited b*reeder of Ragdoll cats. When they met at the annual Cats and Shrubbery Society Summer Fete, sparks soon ignited into a fire of forbidden, homoerotic passion. But when Ladida's brawny, muscular catnip dealer discovers their love, he threatens to expose them unless Fifi agrees to sell him her most beloved sculpted bush. Can Fifi and Ladida's passion survive when faced with the ultimate test?

Secret Seductions of the Playboy Corsair

Edited for the filter.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
TheBardess, the double entendre was just delightful :D

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »
Secret Seductions of the Playboy Corsair

"Willie was a rough-and-tumble ranch hand who didn't trust anyone, especially women. But when he saw Cheyenne....

Wait.  You titled this book what? Did you even read it? I hate publishers..."

No?  ;D (I'll do another if I broke the rules.)

Octopregnesia!
The status is not quo!

TheBardess

• Books in My Head
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »

*facepalm* Would you believe I didn't even see it until you pointed it out?
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »

*facepalm* Would you believe I didn't even see it until you pointed it out?

*LOL* I think that makes it even better!
The status is not quo!

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
WF???? Octopregnesia???? How the heck am I supposed to work with that while laughing at The Bardess??

Sculpted bush, indeed!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here goes.........during a spectacular romp on the beach with a delightful group of 7, Tiffany meets Brick, her one true love. But which one of these studly males is the father? Laughs and hijinks ensue while Tiffany tries to find out, at least until she learns Raoul is the leader of a Columbian durg cartel.

Bullets...............and s@xual tension fly!

The Rake's Accountant!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

TheBardess

• Books in My Head
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
Octopregnesia!

First, here is the Wikipedia summary for Pregnesia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnesia

Former Navy SEAL Lucas Washington couldn't believe it. It had been bad enough when one beautiful, helpless, amnesiac pregnant woman turned up in his car, but now eight??? This was getting ridiculous. And yet...there was something about these pretty, frightened, forgetful women that he just couldn't resist. In spite of all their morning sickness, swollen ankles, and inability to recall their own names, he found them irresistible. He had to help them...and so he took the first perilous steps down a road fraught with danger, passion, and an EHell of a lot of Epidurils...a road that would finally lead him...to an octagon of love.

Deep Desires of the Rugged Stable Boy

TheBardess

• Books in My Head
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »

Bullets...............and s@xual tension fly!

The Rake's Accountant!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! *sniff* *wipes away tear of laughter*

Okay, with a brief nod to Poirot's work thread, here goes:

Sloane knew that Natalia was dangerous. He was a senior partner, after all, and with her as his accountant, she was the ultimate in forbidden fruit. Yet how could he resist her? How could he be unmoved by that cleavage-baring shirt, and the way her tunic just barely brushed her bum as she bent over to place a travel expenses report in the filing cabinet? It was too much...and so began a torrid, passionate affair that went well beyond deficits, assets, and W-2 forms. But what Sloane didn't know was the dark secret that hid behind Natalia's six-inch heels and seductive book-keeping skills. As a financial spy for the Russian mafia, she had one thing and one thing only in mind, and she would stop at nothing to get it...

The Kilted Highlander's Lusty Barmaid