Author Topic: Animated signature pics  (Read 6513 times)

wendelenn

Animated signature pics
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
What's the rule on animated signature pics? (If any?)

There is a current poster here with an animated signature pic that quite honestly is really annoying.  This person's avatar on the side is animated too but that isn't as bad.

I don't know if I can turn signatures off just for this poster, I'd hate to lose everyone else's as well.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

CakeBeret

Re: Animated signature pics
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
I don't know about a rule, but you can hit the ESC key and it will freeze all animations on the page. You will have to re-do it every time you navigate to a new page with the animation, but it's better than nothing.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Also, I love that we have the same quote in our signature lines! :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

wendelenn

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
I don't know about a rule, but you can hit the ESC key and it will freeze all animations on the page. You will have to re-do it every time you navigate to a new page with the animation, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks CakeBeret, my sig quote buddy!  :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
Is there a way to freeze the animation on an ipad?
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
I don't know.

But I do know that Esc works in IE and Flamingvixen, but not Chrome.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »
I don't know.

But I do know that Esc works in IE and Flamingvixen, but not Chrome.

Well, that just figures, Chrome is all I use. :P
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

fires_long_ago

• I guess I will tell you some things.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
There are a handful of free extensions that you can install in Chrome to freeze animated GIFs - GIF Stopper (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eaebhojnielfeoillcfnbmkgliokndkm) is one; Paused! (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lineaegmeiendabencimakjagjojcegk) is another.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
I just wish the mods would ban ALL animated signatures. They hurt my eyes and give others migraines.

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »
I just wish the mods would ban ALL animated signatures. They hurt my eyes and give others migraines.

Yup.

penelope2017

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Agreed. They are super annoying.

Tai

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:54:32 PM »
Because monstrously huge sigs terribly inconvenience our members on dial-up, sig size is restricted in size to 400 pixels by 170 pixels or less.  Video sig files are not permitted.

I always assumed that they were not allowed based on the above quote, but I have noticed several avatars and one sig in particular that fits what y'all are talking about. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »
Because monstrously huge sigs terribly inconvenience our members on dial-up, sig size is restricted in size to 400 pixels by 170 pixels or less.  Video sig files are not permitted.
I always assumed that they were not allowed based on the above quote, but I have noticed several avatars and one sig in particular that fits what y'all are talking about.

So did I. The flashing and weird things in some animated sigs make me feel physically sick when I'm viewing a page with them on. I can freeze them but that doesn't really solve the problem if people are ignoring the rules.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Frostblooded

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
Perhaps the forum staff could install one of the SMF modules that allow signatures to be hidden. This seems like a good solution overall if the member is not breaking rules.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »
Perhaps the forum staff could install one of the SMF modules that allow signatures to be hidden. This seems like a good solution overall if the member is not breaking rules.

Isn't there one already? I don't see signatures.