News:

• February 18, 2018, 12:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "*You* must motivate *me* to move for this job!"  (Read 7139 times)

CharlieBraun

"*You* must motivate *me* to move for this job!"
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
A friend of mine from a previous job asked me to take a look at his friend's resume and see if we might have a slot for him.  I work for an international accounting and consulting firm, and our hiring is fairly competitive.

I agreed, and I received the resume and reviewed it.  The guy's background was basic it wasn't out of the question that he might fit.  However, he was located in Southern City, and while our specific subspeciality is a national practice, we don't necessarily place people in any one of our locations; his city is not one of our locations for this subspecialty.

I sent an email back to him, thanking him for sending the resume and asking about geographic flexibility.

His response was " It would take tremendous incentive to motivate me to relocate. Even still, I probably would not relocate.  I would only work in your offices here in Southern City."

I'm sort of chewing that over.  We generally don't pay for relocation anyway (as I said we are very competitive in hiring and he would be coming in at entry level, which almost never includes a relo package.)  But I'm trying to decide if he was being arrogant or not, and what kind of response would be best for his email.

"We ate the pies."

MrTango

Re: "*You* must motivate *me* to move for this job!"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
I can completely understand someone not being willing to relocate and being up front about it, but his choice of phrasing certainly doesn't score him any points in the flexibility/adaptation to change department.

I would just tell him "At this time, we do not have any openings in the [location] office that match your skills and experience."

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
It sounds like he feels he's eminently employable where he is. 

Sometimes people have health issues which limit their geographic availability, but they usually phrase their response to the question more politely, and they don't typically apply out of their availability area (although sometimes they are headhunted beyond their availability).

My response would be, "Thank you again for your interest.  We have no openings in Southern City at this time, but will keep your resume on file in the event an appropriate position becomes available." 
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
As a bit of background....his resume shows that he was laid off from a prior position about 18 months ago, and has his own consulting firm.  He is actively seeking salaried employment.
"We ate the pies."

hyzenthlay

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
He's being honest.

He really doesn't want to move, and probably wouldn't has sent in his resume if he knew that woudl be expected.

I don't see any tremendous problem with his response, or with Blue Falcon's response.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »
I completely understand his not wanting to move, but his wording is not exactly gracious.

However, he was located in Southern City, and while our specific subspeciality is a national practice, we don't necessarily place people in any one of our locations; his city is not one of our locations for this subspecialty.

Based on the quote above (bolding mine), you might want to let him know that while you might keep him in mind if something comes up, it will not be in his city.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:17:48 PM by SingMeAway »

mimi_cat

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
I don't think he necessarily said that *you* have to motivate him - I think this is his way of saying he's not interested in relocating, without using the word "no".   Having recently gone through a few job searches over the last couple of years I wasn't necessarily opposed to relocating, but I didn't want to say "no" without hearing more about the job.  That may be what he is trying to do.  If he says a flat out "no" - the discussion ends.  He's probably adding the "I probably wouldn't" so that it doesn't appear he is leading you on. 

He may not have realized that the positions for which he'd be qualified would require re-locating.  Even though it sounds like he probably does need a job - he may  not be at a point where he wants to re-locate. 

I would just reply:
Thank you for your interest.  The positions for which you'd be qualfied are all located in X City, and we do not offer relocation assistance.  If you'd be interested in discussing them further please let me know.   (This last sentence assumes he'd be a qualified candidate that you'd want to pursue).

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
I don't think he necessarily said that *you* have to motivate him - I think this is his way of saying he's not interested in relocating, without using the word "no".   Having recently gone through a few job searches over the last couple of years I wasn't necessarily opposed to relocating, but I didn't want to say "no" without hearing more about the job.  That may be what he is trying to do.  If he says a flat out "no" - the discussion ends.  He's probably adding the "I probably wouldn't" so that it doesn't appear he is leading you on. 

He may not have realized that the positions for which he'd be qualified would require re-locating.  Even though it sounds like he probably does need a job - he may  not be at a point where he wants to re-locate. 

I would just reply:
Thank you for your interest.  The positions for which you'd be qualfied are all located in X City, and we do not offer relocation assistance.  If you'd be interested in discussing them further please let me know.   (This last sentence assumes he'd be a qualified candidate that you'd want to pursue).

This was my interpretation of his email too, and I think mimi_cat's reply is perfect.  I don't think there was anything wrong with his reply -- as a few posters have said, he just wants to be honest and let you know it would take a lot for him to consider relocating.  I've said something similar when asked about relocating before.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »

I would just reply:

This was my interpretation of his email too, and I think mimi_cat's reply is perfect.  I don't think there was anything wrong with his reply -- as a few posters have said, he just wants to be honest and let you know it would take a lot for him to consider relocating.  I've said something similar when asked about relocating before.

I'm just going to rephrase his response, because this is how it came across to me:

"I will only move if you really make it worth my while.  Actually, I probably wouldn't move.  Actually, no, I'll only work in a local office."  There's something about how his answer slides from "well, maybe" to "no" in three consecutive sentences would bother me.  I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to relocate, but impressions matter, and he's not showing himself in a good light if he can't give either a "yes," "no," or "I'll consider it."

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
I'm just going to rephrase his response, because this is how it came across to me:

"I will only move if you really make it worth my while.  Actually, I probably wouldn't move.  Actually, no, I'll only work in a local office."  There's something about how his answer slides from "well, maybe" to "no" in three consecutive sentences would bother me.  I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to relocate, but impressions matter, and he's not showing himself in a good light if he can't give either a "yes," "no," or "I'll consider it."

Yep, we're reading it totally differently.  It doesn't come across that way at all to me.  To me he's saying he wants to apply for a job in LocalOffice and likely won't consider relocating unless the incentive was quite substantial. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »

That was how it came across to me as well.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LEMon

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
I think mimi_cat's answer is good: it informs him that there are job opportunities for his level of skill with your company, but they are in city x, and that benefits like relocation expenses don't apply at his job level.  It may reveal to him that if he really wants work in your industry/field (and can do it), being willing to relocate may be a must, and that he should start saving for the possibility.

Modified to add:  Regardless of how he meant his response, her reply includes the information that he needs: there are jobs available in city x in your business which he might qualify for, there are not jobs in his city, and relocation expenses are not paid at that level.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:59:22 PM by LEMon »

yokozbornak

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
I am seeing arrogance more than honesty in his reply.  From what you said, he is an average candidate, but he seems to think he is so qualified that he should be offered work on his own terms.  That's fine if you have the skills to back it up, but not so cool when someone is only looking at a resume as a favor to someone else.

If he had said, "Thank you for taking the time to review my resume and for getting back to me.  At this point in my search, I am really only interested in employment in your office in ThisCity.   I would possibly consider relocating if the perfect opportunity became available so please keep me in mind for future openings."

The message is not very different from his original one, but there is a degree of humility in it that was lacking from his first message. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:40:10 PM by yokozbornak »

AtraBecca

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
Moving is a huge imposition, and expensive as well... I would say he's just being honest about his availability, although he could have phrased it better. Personally I would go wherever the work is but my only important possessions are my recliner and computer.  >:D

Balletmom

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
I am seeing arrogance more than honesty in his reply.  From what you said, he is an average candidate, but he seems to think he is so qualified that he should be offered work on his own terms.  That's fine if you have the skills to back it up, but not so cool when someone is only looking at a resume as a favor to someone else.

If he had said, "Thank you for taking the time to review my resume and for getting back to me.  At this point in my search, I am really only interested in employment in your office in ThisCity.   I would possibly consider relocating if the perfect opportunity became available so please keep in in my for future openings."

The message is not very different from his original one, but there is a degree of humility in it that was lacking from his first message.

Exactly. The word "incentive" is directly tied to motivation; putting it in his answer was not appropriate and comes across as "If you do enough for me, I'll move" whether he meant to communicate that or not.

It was not a gracious answer to someone doing a favor for him.

And as someone who's picked up and moved several times, if I was reading this response, I'd be rather ticked off. It shouldn't come up until he has an actual offer.