Author Topic: Hurricane Follies  (Read 2124 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Hurricane Follies
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
We all know that hurricanes are not a laughing matter.  Some people may lose their lives, many more will lose a great deal pf property. 

However, I was out late this morning to pick up a few odds and ends.  We're fine but it wouldn't hurt to have another container of milk.  Besides, I wanted the walk because it's not likely we'll get one tomorrow.

The lines were rather long but they moved quickly and the shops were quite well stocked.  However, it was interesting to see what some people determined were absolute necessities.  There was a brisk market in wine and very expensive cheese.  Premium chocolate was also in great demand. 

While I was picking up the milk, there were people with a whole shopping cart filled with big bags of snack foods and cases of beer. 

All right, I did buy a bag of cookies and a box or two of soups that can be eaten cold.  The first was a luxury.  The second was a prudent investment. 

Years ago, when a blizzard was socking in, a local corner shop stayed open as late as they could.  Just as they were finally closing up, a customer came pounding on the door.  He must have needed something very important so the shop keepers opened up for him. 

What did he need? 

'Do you guys have any cumin?'

Does anyone else have amusing hurricane stories?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Hurricane Follies
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »
Weather channel reports from the Carolinas saying "This hurricane is very dangerous! If there was something you needed to leave your house to do, it's too late.  Don't go out in it!"

Immediately followed by a weathercaster in a rain suit, standing in the water on the beach with the rain whipping sideways, barely able to stand up in the wind.  ::) ::) ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
Weather channel reports from the Carolinas saying "This hurricane is very dangerous! If there was something you needed to leave your house to do, it's too late.  Don't go out in it!"

Immediately followed by a weathercaster in a rain suit, standing in the water on the beach with the rain whipping sideways, barely able to stand up in the wind.  ::) ::) ::)

No kidding! 

And I'll admit wine, beer and cheese sound like a good way to pass the time while stuck in the house.   That and I wouldn't want to be stuck without chocolate.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cattlekid

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »
It's always been said - if Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel shows up in your area, you know it's about to hit the fan.

Sure enough, last winter here he was in downtown Chicago barely able to stand upright in the blizzard off Lake Shore Drive.

I always thought it might be a neat job to be a news reporter, but I'd be the one they send out in the worst weather possible.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
Oh, Wow!  Then we're in for it!

All morning, Jim Cantore was broadcasting from Battery Park. 

New York is doomed, I tell you!  D-O-O-M-E-D!!!

ettiquit

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
LOL @ needing cumin.

Although it is my favorite spice.  ;D

KimberlyRose

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
The lines were rather long but they moved quickly and the shops were quite well stocked.  However, it was interesting to see what some people determined were absolute necessities.  There was a brisk market in wine and very expensive cheese.  Premium chocolate was also in great demand. 

Hey, if you're going to ride out a hundred-year storm, you may as well do it in style!

And now I'm kind of wishing I'd prepared like that, instead of sitting here with my water bottle and Rolos.

(Stay safe, everyone!)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »
Chocolate is a very good source of quick energy. It's a good survival food because it provides calories. It's often recommended for bug-out bags.

I completely understand why people were making emergency purchases of chocolate before the hurricane.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:59:15 AM »
DH went food shopping Friday and noticed that, while fresh bread was nowhere to be found, pre-packaged bread was readily available.

StrawberryDots

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »

This! There's a video online (I won't link to it, because it shows a guy baring all) with a reporter in Virginia Beach, speaking of the awful conditions and then going into a rant about the people running and driving around him.  He actually apologizes for all the fools out in the storm as he stands there to rave about how dangerous it is to be out.  I laughed harder at his hypocrisy than at the naked guy!

JoW

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »
One of my coworkers used to work in a grocery store.  He told me that after a blizzard the first people to get to the store were the smokers.  They would drive on roads that had not yet been plowed to get their nicotine.  And they would fuss at him for not doing the same.  I strongly suspect some of the hurricane people are doing similar.

bluhairfreak

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
When Ike was getting ready to roll through Houston, I was up watching the news and a reporter was out in the storm waving a helmet around in his hand, debris flying in the background.  Why did he have a helmet?  Emergency workers had given it to him in case of flying debris.  I was yelling at the screen for the idiot to actually put the helmet on(although in nn e-hell approved language)

Sanity Lost

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Right before Irene hit Annapolis the weather reporter is telling the desk that people are now being advised to get into shelter as soon as possible. Behind her is a couple who are splashing in the puddles and dancing in the wind and rain.

Who were they?

My sister and brother in law.  ;D  ::)

They only lived a block up and decided to cut up in front of the cameras. But they got home in plenty of time and had a giggle over seeing themselves on the news. I'm related to some silly people.  ;)

LazyDaisy

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
On the flip side of the weather reporters that go out in horribly dangerous situations to tell you not to go out  ::) are the reporters that talk up how bad the storm is and people should avoid going out on the road unless it's an emergency, then cut away to a shot of a perfectly normal looking street with hardly a puddle or breeze and people walking casually along the sidewalk. I saw one of those yesterday from somewhere in New York (state — not city) and after telling me all about how bad the storm was and the possibility of heavy flooding, they showed a normal town street — it didn't even look like it was raining.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
Not me (far from the hurricane), but a friend of mine in New Jersey wrote on her FB that "there's a hurricance coming, and I'm in Bed, Bath and Beyond looking for a cherry pitter".  There was something like 15 comments along the lines of "Are you crazy??"  ::)

Friend is fine, if a bit wet, and that cherry pitter is bound for legendary status  ;D