Author Topic: Hurricane Follies  (Read 1930 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Hurricane Follies
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
Not me (far from the hurricane), but a friend of mine in New Jersey wrote on her FB that "there's a hurricance coming, and I'm in Bed, Bath and Beyond looking for a cherry pitter".  There was something like 15 comments along the lines of "Are you crazy??"  ::)

Friend is fine, if a bit wet, and that cherry pitter is bound for legendary status  ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
That cherry-putter story has my cumin story beat all hollow!

What a hoot! 

After my last post on Saturday, Mr. Thipu came home with a lovely bunch of flowers.  Flowers here are readily available and cheap.  When we aren't in any real danger, flowers are a spirit lifter when the weather is foul.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
I'm just remembering when massive snow and ice storms were hitting so many states last year around the holidays, and they were showing people trying desperately to get to..the mall. to go shopping for christmas gifts.  ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
Or wading through deep snow because they've been cooped up with their nearest and dearest for 24 whole hours, and now they have "cabin fever" and must go to the video store.   ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »
DH & I were in Nassau - MSNBC, The Weather Channel & Univision all had reporters stationed and reporting from our hotel.  Not a good sign.  We saw a lot of people carrying bags of groceries back to the hotel before the storm.  100% of them had some type of chips & 95% had some form of alcohol.  DH & I bought chips and cookies :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
Friend went for movie rentals - in an area where you're likely going to lose power. The rental place was closed.

Also, there was a video from a national news network in my city (beach resort) where a bunch of guys were out in the hurricane just goofing around. One of the guys flashed the camera (front and back). That video has gone viral. Makes us look REALLY smart.

We were watching the weather channel and there were some people at the beach swimming in the tumultuous waters - so extremely dangerous. Weather people kept making the point that it wasn't only their lives that they were risking - the rescue crew would be put in harm's way as well.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

ettiquit

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
CNN had a "guest" reporter somewhere in PA during the hurricane.  It was a 7 year old girl, and it was absolutely adorable but obviously even the harbingers of doom that we call the "media" can be light-hearted during potential disasters.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Friend is fine, if a bit wet, and that cherry pitter is bound for legendary status  ;D

Did they at least get some cherries for the storm too?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »

Did they at least get some cherries for the storm too?

The goal was to make a cherry pie before the power went out :)

PeytiePotatie

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
Ha, I am sure some people were looking askance at my grocery cart the day before the hurricane...

My pre-Irene shopping list: PB&J supplies, tortilla chips, salsa, and rum.

Trust me, those are the most important necessities for spending 24 hours cooped up in the house with DH and no electricity.  :)