Author Topic: Is this a technical glitch or a change in policy?  (Read 9240 times)

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
Is this a technical glitch or a change in policy?
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
I've noticed a lot of threads being deleted lately. I understand that threads are sometimes deleted at the request of the OP or if the board was flat out getting spammed or offensively trolled by another board or site, but lately a whole heap of interesting threads have just disappeared.

Has there been a change in policy? Or just a disproportionately high number of glitches resulting in deletions?

If this is a policy or enforcement change, may we please have an update? It's a little weird here lately.

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Re: Is this a technical glitch or a change in policy?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
Y'know, I'm a little curious about this myself...I've noticed this happening, but I'm not really sure why threads are deleted sometimes, if it's the glitch trolls running crazy or something. ???

Hehe. Glitch troll. Sorry, I now have a picture in my head of little glitch trolls running around and causing mayhem. Just ignore me... :D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Wavicle

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
I think I had read that they sometimes move threads to areas only viewable by mods be dealt with later. We don't have a ton of mods and there isn't always someone on, so if there is a lot of stuff going on I could see them just wiping it/moving it instead of trying to wade through the snark and drama just getting rid of it. Sometimes we get upswings in people pushing boundaries, it cycles.

There also had been some recent trolls and a lot of discussion about them, and the mods probably want to squash both of those. They just don't want it on the board, and may be trying to just clean things up instead of putting a big "Something bad happened here, read me!" symbol on threads.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
i've noticed 2 or 3 that i was interested in disappeared. i even went into my history to check the links to make sure i wasn't just missing them.

EduardosGirl

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
I can understand not wanting to feed the drama, Wavicle. It just feels like a lot of stuff has happened recently but it's all disappeared. I'm wanting to clarify if this was deliberate or if it was an error.

If it was deliberate, would it possibly be better to acknowledge that it's all been a bit drama-fuelled and say what's happened, rather than delete everything and, I don't know, pretend it didn't happen? That seems like a really good way for things to continue as they were, or even go downhill.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »
I've noticed as well. I'm not on a whole lot, just pop in and out these days. It's very frustrating when I can't go back and find a thread I was interested in. A lot of times when I read it it will be just a regular thread. I was beginning to doubt my sanity! ;D I wonder if it turns snarky and the mods get rid of it?

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
I noticed that too. I think a locked thread has some value to posters (new and old) on what not to do. You could always de-emphasize the thread title by removing the italics. Then it would look like the other threads, just with a padlock.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:20 AM »
I wonder if it has to do with so many people recently admitting that they're drawn to locked threads out of curiosity.  I'm one of them, myself, but I agree that there's lots of educational (aside from entertainment!) value in locked threads. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 05:49:53 AM »
I've noticed this. There was a really interesting thread that I glanced at a few days ago the just...disappeared. I'm on the verge of PMing the original poster to see what happened but I didn't because it was a sensitive subject and I was worried that she asked to have it deleted because she suddenly decided that she didn't want random people on the internet commenting on her personal business.

Anyway, it's quite odd when threads just disappear.

EduardosGirl

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I agree that a locked thread can tell you how *not* to behave. There's value in seeing how easily an innocuous topic can get so extraordinarily heated (shopping trolley, anyone?).

Are there any mods about to talk about this or should I PM someone?

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
ITA w/penguin. It would seem better to communicate rather than delete it.

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
It's gotten to the point I almost wonder if it's any use to post anymore.  :-\  If any sign of conflict is going to be deleted what's the point?
I'm kind of leaning the same way. I'm not a big poster, or someone with wonderous information to give, but it just seems like every time even a slight disagreement begins in a thread it gets reported and locked. Why ask any question- if two people can't agree perfectly it seems that the thread will just disappear, no matter how good the other advice.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
There is no change in policy, but from just one thread that's going on now, I've spent at least 10 minutes deleting many posts based on one post in particular. The problem is that when someone posts something that is controversial, or inappropriate, or pick your poison, rather than reporting said post other people quote that post, then it just snowballs from there.

It gets a little tedious, not to mention time consuming, to delete certain posts and therefore in order to keep the peace we'll delete the thread to nip it in the bud.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »
I've noticed individual posts being changed by someone other than the author too... that seems kind of strange to me. I can understand addressing an issue, but to edit out any controversy from posts seems... overbearing and even underhanded.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

O'Dell

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
I think I know what thread Cass is referring to, and I think the right decision was made. Frankly there are times I'm shocked and appalled by how some of the threads here play out. I haven't noticed more threads being deleted, but then a lot of times I drop out of a thread if it starts going down the road toward something that might get locked/deleted. I don't have a lot of patience for that sort of thing lately, though I realize I'm more cranky about it than the average e-hell member.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman