Author Topic: Is this a technical glitch or a change in policy?  (Read 9334 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: Is this a technical glitch or a change in policy?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
I have been a bit more diligent about bailing out too...and doing visual ignores, especially if things are brought in from RL or other threads. I hate to see spirited discussions devolve.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
I have been a bit more diligent about bailing out too...and doing visual ignores, especially if things are brought in from RL or other threads. I hate to see spirited discussions devolve.

What does RL stand for?  :-[
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

McCutieBelle

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Real life as opposed to online stuff  ;D
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Peggy Gus

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »

I saw a post where you involved another poster in your real-life drama, something she knew nothing about. Frankly, something most of us knew nothing about.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Real life as opposed to online stuff  ;D

Oh, duh.  I don't know you in RL then (I thought you were talking about a forum since that at least is against the rules), but you remind me of my SIL.  She's a Southern Belle  :)
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

McCutieBelle

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
It's okay :)

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
[author=McCutieBelle link=topic=100774.msg2483647#msg2483647 date=1314826267]
[/quote]
Honestly, I can recall at least two posts of yours (not recent, but a few months old) where you brought real life drama to the forum. It seems a bit hypocritical to see you complain about that.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:58:08 PM by The Opinionator »
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
I've noticed individual posts being changed by someone other than the author too... that seems kind of strange to me. I can understand addressing an issue, but to edit out any controversy from posts seems... overbearing and even underhanded.

You know, that concerns me, as well. If your post is changed by a mod, are you informed as to why?

I can't really comment specifically on McCutieBelle, as all I remember of her is her goodbye post, but I do think in general that bringing real life drama into the forum probably is not a good idea.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
Honestly, I can recall at least two posts of yours (not recent, but a few months old) where you brought real life drama to the forum. It seems a bit hypocritical to see you complain about that.

Edited for spelling.

It certainly is.  I can recall much more than two posts that were very obviously referring to another ehellion and not only painting them in a bad light, but posting outright lies.  I mean, bringing it up in other people's threads even where it had absolutely no relevance to what the poster was saying.  I think that is bullying behavior (because most people would not want to continue posting on a forum where people harassing them is tolerated, even if they are being PA about it) and I am surprised that it's tolerated here.  Maybe there is stuff going on behind the scenes but I can only go on what I see as a member on this forum, and what I see is that people who drag real life drama involving other people onto the forum and skewing the details to boot are free and clear to post here, and continue posting the same stuff.
[/quote]

You have to remember there are only a few mods and they don't read every thread so if noone reports it it is very possible it wasn't noticed. I know I have no idea what you are talking about and I probably surf here way more then I really should so I can imagine that a mod might also not have read those posts in particular.

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »

Edited for spelling.

It certainly is.  I can recall much more than two posts that were very obviously referring to another ehellion and not only painting them in a bad light, but posting outright lies.  I mean, bringing it up in other people's threads even where it had absolutely no relevance to what the poster was saying.  I think that is bullying behavior (because most people would not want to continue posting on a forum where people harassing them is tolerated, even if they are being PA about it) and I am surprised that it's tolerated here.  Maybe there is stuff going on behind the scenes but I can only go on what I see as a member on this forum, and what I see is that people who drag real life drama involving other people onto the forum and skewing the details to boot are free and clear to post here, and continue posting the same stuff.

You have to remember there are only a few mods and they don't read every thread so if noone reports it it is very possible it wasn't noticed. I know I have no idea what you are talking about and I probably surf here way more then I really should so I can imagine that a mod might also not have read those posts in particular.
[/quote]

I remember those incidences.  And I'd be quite surprised if no one reported them since I know there were quite a few people uncomfortable with that sort of drama being dragged onto the forum.  I know I certainly was because it was quite obvious and for those who'd be keeping up on the threads and MsCutieBelle's life, it was clear which EHellion was being referenced.  Obviously I have no idea what really happened but that sort of behavior seems totally unacceptable to me, especially on a forum like this.
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
That's it. As for the issue between McCutie Belle and the other poster, unfortunately one or both won't let it rest, as far as this forum goes, though I do believe a private warning was given to one or both, I don't remember. Anyway, the mods will be discussing this. Please keep in mind we're on different time zones and it takes a while to communicate, given hours and lives and all. So, trust me, something concrete will be done, I'm just not sure what or whom will feel the consequence(s).  However unusual, there are times when things are so complicated that we consult each other.

Now, as for editing/deleting posts, we do that sparingly. We don't like to do it because, well, it seems wrong. But, and you knew this was coming, when it's done it's either because someone thinks they're being clever by trying to get around the word filter, or because the alternative would be to lock/delete the entire thread, which is what this thread started out to question. Frankly, to delete the thread would be easier as sometimes it's just the path of least resistance, and here's an example. A member will post something so ridiculously out there say, on page 6. People reply, complete with the original quote. Someone will reply to that, either in agreement or has their own comment. And so on and so on. In other words, it just, as I said in an previous post here, snowballs and people post in rapid fashion. So, invariably it will be reported, often by quite a few people, and that's fine. The problem is turnaround. Depending on whether or not a mod is online, the thread might continue this derailment for 5 or 6 pages. More often than not, a few posters will vainly attempt to get the thread back on track, and that's appreciated. However, it's laborious, time consuming, and frankly, probably too late to save the original topic because it's so derailed it might as well be the model for the train wreck in the movie "The Fugitive."

And then there are some threads that are wrong for this forum.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.