Author Topic: Not the dealbreakers but the dealmakers  (Read 14630 times)

SiotehCat

Re: Not the dealbreakers but the dealmakers
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
In a very last minute thing, I took in 12 newborn opposums. My family didn't understand my need to save them and, because of that, they were very upset with me. I had been with my Dh for just a little bit, maybe a month(?) and I thought he was going to react the same way. I was afraid to show them to him.

I couldn't really hide them though. They have to eat every couple of hours and when there are 12 of them, when you are done feeding them 12th one, its time for the 1st one to eat again! When he saw them he thought they were the ugliest little animals he had ever seen, but he wasn't mad. He said I had no choice. He helped me with feedings and we were able to find a rescue that would take them 3 days later.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »
That's oppositively opprecious!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
Apparently I sleep quieter when there's a malicious, obese ginger cat on my leg.

Well, heck, who doesn't?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Apparently I sleep quieter when there's a malicious, obese ginger cat on my leg.

Well, heck, who doesn't?

Mice.

Which Bo and Luke don't cotton to chasin', as I understand it.

portiafimbriata

• a.k.a. Mrs. Hexbane
  • I have an extradition treaty with all spiders
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
This is pretty silly (but I think the small things are sometimes the best):

I love to eat empty taco shells. I can't resist them. When I made tacos for dinner, XH would get mad if I ate empty taco shells because I was depriving him of a taco he could have eaten.

DH actually makes sure to leave two empty taco shells for me because he knows I like to eat them. And believe me, he'd make tacos of them if I didn't! I adore him for this, and so many other lil' things.
The old man had all his own teeth, but only because no-one else could possibly have wanted them.
-Good Omens

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
This is pretty silly (but I think the small things are sometimes the best):

I love to eat empty taco shells. I can't resist them. When I made tacos for dinner, XH would get mad if I ate empty taco shells because I was depriving him of a taco he could have eaten.

DH actually makes sure to leave two empty taco shells for me because he knows I like to eat them. And believe me, he'd make tacos of them if I didn't! I adore him for this, and so many other lil' things.

Your DH sounds great and I think you XH is silly.  If they were your share, then it doesn't matter how you eat them, whether it's plain or with different fillings he likes.  I agree with you, it's the small things that are sometimes the nicest. :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
A lot of people have talked about a love for/by animals being a deal-maker. I'm not really an animal person, though. If a potential future SO had pets, I'm sure it would be fine, but the needle would be nudged closer to green for me if he didn't have pets, and didn't have any aspirations to get any. I don't care for it when people talk disparagingly of animals in general, though, like, "I hate cats, they're all so evil" (and not meant in the "evil genius" way)--that would definitely move the needle back towards red.
~Lynn2000

nonesuch4

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
I think we had known each other less than a week when Future husband made his first visit to my apartment.

He wanted a glass of water and bent down to pluck a glass from the open shelving before I could say anything.

Portia the cat was a jumper. She felt more comfortable up high,and when a strange man bent over she took the opportunity and leaped onto his back...holding on with her claws dug into a brand new leather jacket.  He stopped moving.  He'd bought this jacket to spif up his appearance to impress me.  He quickly realized, and rightly so, that how he treated this cat was ten times more important than what he wore.  The only thing he did was ask me to get the cat off his back.

Portia did her best over the next eleven years to rid the house we bought of varmints, Husband's Dad had died one spring, his Mom diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier that week, when I realize old Portia was not going to rally. There were frantic calls to surrounding towns, as our office wasn't open, and it was Saturday. It was a long drive to a strange office, and a longer one home.  The forecast was for rain all weekend.  When Sunday afternoon came and no end to the rain in sight, DH set to digging a grave for Portia.  He was crying when he brought her out of the barn and placed her in the ground. 

The last few years of our marriage were very difficult for a number of reasons.  There is a tendency to be a tad bitter.  But many of these posts reminded me that it wasn't always "that way," reminded me of the little things he did along the way to be helpful and smooth the path for others.

Texas Mom

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
DH & I started seeing each other in August.

He had a female beagle who was pretty possessive - she'd jump up between us on the couch.  I didn't have it in me to be jealous of a dog he'd had for 5 years.

He said he knew I was "the one" when I bought Miss Beagle gifts for Christmas.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2011, 01:40:49 AM »
He knows I like orange juice with breakfast and if he realizes we are out/low, he'll go to the store and buy some before I get up on the weekends. Or if he goes to the store to get a bottle of coke, he makes sure to get a bottle of sprite for me as well.

He knows I have to get up early for school and work Mon-Fri, and that I don't get anywhere near enough sleep... So he makes sure I get to sleep as late as I want on the weekends. If the cat is being too mischievous, he'll put her out of the room and close the door. He'll use the hall or basement bathroom, instead of the master bathroom if he has to go and I'm still sleeping. If the dogs are barking at something outside, he'll bring them in to quiet them (and close the bedroom door so I don't hear them playing in the back room). If they are barking inside, he'll put them out so they'll shush. If he is playing computer games or doing Rosetta Stone, he'll put on the headphones, close the door to the bedroom AND the office, and turn on a fan to muffle any noise, so he doesn't disturb me.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

amylouky

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
My mom had a cerebral aneurysm in 1981 that left her with a lot of brain damage. This had several effects, the most noticeable being marked speech impairment and cognitive issues.
Sometimes people treat her like a child (she's very intelligent) or worse, just ignore her altogether when she can't immediately get out what she's trying to say.

I knew my now-DH was a keeper when he met Mom, and acted as though nothing was unusual. He just patiently waited for her to be able to gather her thoughts, and if there was something she said that he didn't understand, he asked her about it instead of just nodding and pretending like he understood.

Odd, I know, but it's one of the things I value most about DH. He's actually very protective of Mom now, and gets really angry when he notices someone treating her like she's not there (some family members are guilty of this!).

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
Last night is a perfect example of why I am dating my boyfriend.

We were cuddled up watching a The Ring.  I love scary movies so it was a nice night.  Except I had forgotten about the scene with the horse and the ferrry.  In April I lost a horse to a flod.  I won't give the details but I found the horse and the whole thing was really tramatic for me.  The scene in the movie basically looked like my worst nightmares of what had happened to my horse. 

I don't usually get upset watching movies but this one got to me.  He knew before the scene was even over that I was getting upset so he fast forwarded and then put his arms around me while I cried.  I felt stupid but he kept telling me it was understandable.  He made me feel so much better.  Then he made me hot chocolate.
93 93/93

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
I really liked that DH was as serious as I was about our relationship, from the start, and how deeply he thought about things, but the real decider to me was how he treated children.  The second time we saw each other after we started dating was just after Christmas (we were long-distance) and he was going to come to my grandparents' for our post-Christmas big family get-together.   I had twin cousins who were 9 at the time, so I specifically arranged for DH and I to take them to a museum for the day, as fun for them and a break for the adults (on the surface) but really as an opportunity to see how he would handle them (for me).  He was great with them, which confirmed my opinion of him :)

Spoder

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:52 AM »
I love this thread...it's so nice, without being sickeningly nicey-nice, KWIM?  ;)

Any more stories?

dogcazza

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
I can't remember the last time my my soon-to-be-husband bought me flowers.  He always picks them from the garden for me! Last night I came home with take away for dinner to have a bunch of freshly picked garden flowers on the dining room table, for no reason!