Author Topic: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd  (Read 7573 times)

Miss March

Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
While performing at the MTV Video Music Awards, Chris Brown felt his watch become loose on his wrist, so he attempted to toss it to the side of the stage where it would be out of the way of his dance routine. However, he miscalculated his toss, and ended up throwing the watch into the crowd by mistake. It was a diamond encrusted watch, valued at $22,000.

Following his performance, a security guard went and asked the crowd if anyone had seen the watch. A very honest female fan immediately returned the watch to the guard, who took it backstage to Chris. At this point, Chris did not ask for the fan to be brought backstage so he could thank her, he didn't send an autograph back for her- nothing.

It is only now, in the days following, that reporters are asking Chris if he ever thanked the fan for her honesty-- so now Chris Brown is telling TMZ that he hopes she will "contact his people" so they can give her some free concert tickets. Only thing is, they never got her name. And the only person who saw her was the security guard at MTV.  So how does the average fan know how to get the direct contact information for Chris Brown's people? And what is to stop hundreds of women from claiming they are the one who returned the watch? Is Chris Brown going to ask everyone to submit a photograph and then hire that security guard to look at all the pictures and try to identify the woman who did, indeed, return the watch? And would the security guard even be able to recognize her again?

This just feels like such a lame, after-the-fact attempt to make good. The fact is, he didn't do anything for the woman at the time-- and unless someone has her image on video returning the watch, this woman is unlikely to ever be able to prove herself. I think Chris Brown just got his watch back and didn't give it another thought until reporters started questioning whether he had done anything to thank her, and his people realized they had missed an opportunity for Chris Brown to get some good PR.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:02:26 PM by Miss March »
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Betelnut

Re: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
Eh, the idiot paid $22,000 for a watch--what do you expect?

Seriously, I can't really blame him too much under the circumstances.  It was an awards ceremony, so I imagine backstage was bedlam and probably not very "fan friendly."  He was probably hustled off to let the next guest performer get onstage.

Also, he hasn't even shown himself to be much of a gentleman so the honest audience member (who might not even be a fan of his) probably didn't miss out.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
 I don't think that thta is fair at all  It is think the worst of someone automatically. The security guard brought him thet watch and for all we know he could have told the security guard to bring her back but she could have been gone by the time he returned and since he never saw the person its not like he can pick her out of the crowd so his only hope is that she contacts him

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Yes, this seems to be a cheap stab at after-the-fact positive publicity.  What a schmuck.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
So how do we even know this mystery woman was a "fan"?  I'd return the watch too - not only because it's the right thing to do but I'm so not a Chris Brown fan & wouldn't want anything of his...  I certainly wouldn't want to meet him to be thanked - non-eHell approved words may spew forth as it'd be tough to keep my personal opinion to myself on that one...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:14 PM »
I can't get too upset at him for this. He lost his watch and it was returned, but there are so many levels of people and such between him and the fan that he may have not realised exactly how things played out. He is trying to make it right now.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
Yes, this seems to be a cheap stab at after-the-fact positive publicity.  What a schmuck.

I think that it is ride to call him a schmuck in this situation since you have no idea what happened

Miss March

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
Okay, maybe Chris Brown wasn't in a position to bring the fan backstage (though I find that doubtful that MTV would have refused to meet his request to do so). Chris Brown still could have dashed off an autograph for that fan and asked the security guard to take it to her, and then the news story would be "Chris Brown wanted to thank fan, but she melted back into the crowd." Instead the original statement from his publicist was "Although Chris did not get to meet the fan, he is very appreciative of the fan's actions."

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
Sometimes, I think people should be satisfied with having done a good deed. I think this is one of those cases.

I have no good opinion of C.B. but I think he's off the hook for this one.

Hopefully the security person thanked the woman on his behalf, but that's all that was necessary IMO.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
Performers have to focus, and that can leave them without much chance to think, "Gee, that was nice, I should make a friendly gesture back".

And really, returning a valuable article that is not yours is not something that one really should expect more than a polite, "Thanks," for.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
I agree with everything you said Miss March. But I (personally) think paying $22,000 for a watch is ridiculous. Must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away. I don't care for expensive stuff anyhow.

Ed.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
I refuse to watch or support anything Chris Brown does, so while I watched most of the VMAs, I turned the channel during his performance. I have zero respect for him, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »

I agree with everything you said Miss March. But I (personally) think paying $22,000 for a watch is ridiculous. Must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away. I don't care for expensive stuff anyhow.

For someone who makes millions of dollars a year, $22,000 is chump change. I'll bet you Donald Trump has multiple watches costing well over $22,000. Even during this down economy, the sale of luxury items is still going strong.

Sometimes, I think people should be satisfied with having done a good deed. I think this is one of those cases.

I am reminded of the Chris Rock comedy routine where he talks about people who brag about doing the right thing as if it merited an award. I would have returned the watch because it was not mine. I would not have expected anything in return.

Gabrielle

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
The fan is better than me. Depending on how charitable I was feeling I would have sold it and donated the money to a battered woman's shelter.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:03 AM »

For someone who makes millions of dollars a year, $22,000 is chump change. I'll bet you Donald Trump has multiple watches costing well over $22,000. Even during this down economy, the sale of luxury items is still going strong.

It's also very possible he didn't actually have to pay for it.