Author Topic: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd  (Read 7597 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:24 AM »
I'm no fan of Chris Brown's, nor will I ever be, but I can't find fault with him here. Do we even know what the security guard told him upon returning the watch to him? "An audience member turned this in"? How in the world would he know who to thank?

As for spending $22,000 on a watch - if a person has the money to spend on such an item, more power to him. Someone upthread mentioned the economy; people who can afford to spend should actually be encouraged to do so.

BarensMom

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:23:23 AM »
When my husband got his accident settlement, the first thing he went out and bought was a $12,000 Breitling watch.  After what he went through (foot surgery, pins and plates, 12+ weeks on the couch, continual pain), I figured he deserved it.

MaggieB

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »
That Chris Brown missed an opportunity to be gracious and thoughtful is hardly surprising, but I don't think he owed the fan anything.  She did the right thing by not stealing the watch which, as Peas said, sometimes needs to be satisfying enough on its own.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 05:21:22 AM »
I can't hold the man to a higher standard than I could meet on a given day.  Sometimes the right thing to do simply doesn't occur to me until after the moment has passed, sometimes much later, and sometimes not at all. 

I feel like an idiot later, but I can't force my mind to work in the moment like I wish it would.  I'm just glad I'm not in the spotlight where my mental lapses could turn into public fodder.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

SiotehCat

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
The fan is better than me. Depending on how charitable I was feeling I would have sold it and donated the money to a battered woman's shelter.

You would have sold a watch that didn't belong to you?

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »
Considering that his fans are the reason why he was able to afford that watch in the first place (or get into the situation where he was given it), I think he could have tried a little harder to thank the fan "in the moment" so to speak.

“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
The fan is better than me. Depending on how charitable I was feeling I would have sold it and donated the money to a battered woman's shelter.

While I understand the point, that would be illegal. "Finders keepers" doesn't fly if you know who it belongs to.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
I can barely bring myself to spend $22 dollars on a watch, let alone $22,000, but that's because I'm hard on watches. (And sunglasses. After ruining 2 pairs of designer shades rather quickly, I've started sticking to the cheapies.)   ;D

I'm going to start by saying that I don't care for Chris Brown. I had no idea who he even was until he beat up Rihanna. That may or may not be influencing what I say.

I don't think he owed the fan anything, although it certainly would have been nice. I can see how no one along the way thought to bring the woman back for thanking. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with that.

What bothers me is that he doesn't just say, "You know, at the time it wasn't possible, but I'd like to send my heartfelt thanks to whoever did it." Of course, he really can't say it without the media jumping all over him about not doing more. And yes, maybe he should, but at the same time, he doesn't have to, and it's a shame he can't get away with just a proper thank you, especially when there's no way to identify the woman.

Man, that's not how I expected my opinion to go! I just surprised myself.  :P
The status is not quo!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
That Chris Brown missed an opportunity to be gracious and thoughtful is hardly surprising, but I don't think he owed the fan anything.  She did the right thing by not stealing the watch which, as Peas said, sometimes needs to be satisfying enough on its own.

This. I intensely dislike him but I don't think he was necessarily at fault.

And I'm not going to crack on him for buying an expensive watch- if he can afford it, that's his call, not mine.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »

While I understand the point, that would be illegal. "Finders keepers" doesn't fly if you know who it belongs to.

Actully, since musicians frequently throw part of their costume into the crowd during a performance with the intention that some lucky fan gets the piece I would find it reasonable for somebody to make the jump based on the situation the way it was described.  I'm not sure that the fans were initally aware that he didn't intend to throw it into the crowd. If he had thrown his hat into the crowd would it be wrong to keep it and possible auction it with proceeds going to a charity?

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
No, but once you were made aware, as this woman was, that the owner wanted their property back, it would be inexcusable.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
It's also very possible he didn't actually have to pay for it.

Good point. Celebs do get things for free.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »
 I don't understand why people have a problem with the cost of the watch because after all he can afford it and a lot of women there probably wore dress that cost more that that watch did and they have no plans to ever where the dress again .

Also how is it truly different from any other piece of jewelry would the people who have a problem with the cost of the watch also have a problem if someone wearing a 22,000.00 necklace or bracelet

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
I don't understand why people have a problem with the cost of the watch because after all he can afford it and a lot of women there probably wore dress that cost more that that watch did and they have no plans to ever where the dress again .

Also how is it truly different from any other piece of jewelry would the people who have a problem with the cost of the watch also have a problem if someone wearing a 22,000.00 necklace or bracelet

lol, for me a watch actually makes a bit more sense because it is functional.  I think the cost gets tricky though.  If you site the cost as a reason that people should be more inclined to return it than they might a scarf/hat/less expensive item thrown itno the crown than it mkaes cost an issue in general.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »

I have to agree.  I try not to crack on somebody for spending their money that they made however they like.  Like a PP said, that's his call, not mine.  Even if it's illegal/unethical/immoral/whatever, it may not endear the person to my heart, but it's not my business, either.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx