Author Topic: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd  (Read 8099 times)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
Re: Fan returns $22,000 watch Chris Brown tossed into crowd
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Until I heard that security was searching the crowd, I was surprised anyone would return it.  Having been at shows where stuff got to the crowd, I might think it was intentional. 

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
Yeah I guess how much the watch costs has nothing to do with it but I still think it's ridiculously extravagant but he can spend his money however he wants. But I don't like or respect the man and I still think he should do something nicer to recognize the woman giving the watch back. I mean she could've kept it after all.

Ed.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Yeah I guess how much the watch costs has nothing to do with it but I still think it's ridiculously extravagant but he can spend his money however he wants. But I don't like or respect the man and I still think he should do something nicer to recognize the woman giving the watch back. I mean she could've kept it after all.

Ed.

If the cost made it significant enough to make an effort to get it back then the cost makes it sidgnificant enough to thank the person to return it. 

kglory

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:38 AM »
I would have returned it simply because I have no respect for Chris Brown and would not want to possess anything of his!

Lillie82

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
A bit off-topic, but you'll see how the stories relate:

A story ran in my hometown's major newspaper a few months ago, about a passenger of the para-transit service (door-to-door bus service for people with disabilities), who had cashed her check and left all the cash on the bus. The driver immediately called in to report it, and since not many people had ridden that particular vehicle that day, it wasn't hard to find out who it belonged to.

But the paper, and the transit authority, treated this bus driver like a big hero. My reaction was, yes, he handled it perfectly, but...didn't he kind of do what should be expected, espeically for someone whose job is to assist people who have special needs? Is returning something valuable (especially when it's easy to figure out who it belonged to) somehow going "above and beyond?" Did they believe most people would have kept the money?

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 04:08:39 AM »
Apparently Chris Brown's people were able to track the woman down as he tweeted her and she's getting VIP treatment at a show.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:59 AM »
Elvis would have asked to thank her in person, let her keep the watch and bought her a Cadillac to boot!

Long live The King! :-*

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
But the paper, and the transit authority, treated this bus driver like a big hero. My reaction was, yes, he handled it perfectly, but...didn't he kind of do what should be expected, espeically for someone whose job is to assist people who have special needs? Is returning something valuable (especially when it's easy to figure out who it belonged to) somehow going "above and beyond?" Did they believe most people would have kept the money?

It's sad, but that does seem to be the belief about such things. And while it's nice that we celebrate honesty, I flinch at the media's assumption that it's something unexpected.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ArizonaGirl77

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
I am no fan of C.B.'s at all. However, I see nothing wrong with his behavior in this situation either. I agree with other posters that say A) We have no idea exactly what the security guard said when he returned the watch to C.B. and B. That there usually a lot of bedlam at stuff like this so even if C.B. had tried to thank her he might have not have had time, etc.

As for the watch returner - I, personally, would never assume that a performer would mean to throw a diamond encrusted watch into the audience. A hat, a t-shirt, sure...but a diamond encrusted watch? Not so much and I would immediately try to return it, even if C.B. hadn't asked for it's return (i.e. let's pretend he hadn't noticed it had flown into the crowd instead of backstage where he meant it to go). I believe in karma, and I wouldn't want karma to bite me because I "assumed" that a diamond-encrusted watch was meant to be thrown into the crowd.

I am glad that C.B. found the fan and is giving her VIP treatment at a show, but I do not think that he was under any obligation to do so.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
Just because someone's rich, you are not entitled to keep something that they've lost. And once it was announced that the watch's descent into the crowd was not part of the act, and Brown wanted it back, there is no question about what was right, any more than if it were a Timex that slipped off your colleague's wrist at work.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
I think there are two mostly separate issues involved:
1. Were the woman's actions in returning the watch particularly praiseworthy?
Returning the watch was the only ethical and decent thing to do. On the other hand, there are a lot of ethically-challenged people in the world, and I imagine it would have been hard to track down the culprit if the watch was taken out of the venue, so her actions do suggest that she is a genuinely honest person, not just someone who's honest when people are "watching".

2. Did Chris Brown have an obligation (either morally or by etiquette) go out of his way to thank her?
IMO, he should have. I could understand not going to a lot of trouble to thank her (bringing her backstage, offering free tickets, etc.) for an item of little value (e.g. if he lost a water bottle or something). However, when (general) you are careless with your belongings, especially valuable belongings, so that strangers have to go to the trouble of taking care of your belongings and returning them to you, then I think you owe them a decent thank you. I think tossing an expensive watch offstage (whether it lands backstage or in the crowd) is being pretty darn careless, and I think he should have made a little more effort to at least thank the fan in person.

ETA: Part of my reasoning is that I think the amount of effort someone puts into returning an object is likely to be related to its apparent value. If a performer accidentally kicked his plastic water bottle off of the stage, I'd consider it enough to pick it up and set it somewhere where it wouldn't be stepped on and could be retrieved later. But if the lost item was expensive (like this watch), had obvious sentimental value (e.g. a cheap plastic water bottle that had been decorated by a child), or if I was told that a lost item had sentimental value (e.g. they announced that Performer X's favorite "lucky" water bottle had been knocked into the crowd), then I would feel a much greater obligation to make sure that the item got back to it's owner safely, even if that meant missing part of the performance/staying after the performance ended/etc. So even if Chris Brown doesn't consider that watch to be an enormous expense, his carelessness put a stranger in the position of having to make sure his property got returned to him, and that deserves a thank you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:54:15 PM by Onyx_TKD »

Everlee

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
I don't really understand why people keep bringing up their opinions of Chris Brown into their posts.  Whether or not you like him has nothing to do with the question.  Heck there's a ton of performers I could care less about but if I had something they had accidentally lost I would give it back in a heartbeat.  Yes, a little gratitude would be appreciated.  A simple thank you isn't hard to do, but I'm sure that after his performance he was exhausted and probably didn't even think twice about the person who found it.  Most of the jewelry the performers wear is loaned, so he would have had to pay for it if it was lost (assuming the watch wasn't his).  He might have been so grateful to have it back that he just never gave the fan a second thought.
I say give him a pass. 

Miss March

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
I heard an update that the fan has been identified and was happy to be given some free concert tickets because she didn't expect anything. Now that's class. It's nice to hear about people like that.

I agree that Chris Brown, himself, probably had a million thoughts in his head as he came off the stage. He had just performed in front of thousands of people, and been broadcast to millions. He had done an aerial stunt. I can see why his thinking may not have been focused on where that watch landed and that he ought to thank the person who got it back to security. I think it was his handlers, who are paid to manage his public persona, who realized they had missed an opportunity to make Chris look good to the public by having thanked the fan.

Any way, I really hope they did find the right person, and again, I salute her.

Of course, now Chris Brown is back in the news for posting a video on his Twitter account of himself "car surfing," which is hanging on to the roof of a car as it drives down a road. Fabulous.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Everlee

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 01:48:34 PM »
I heard an update that the fan has been identified and was happy to be given some free concert tickets because she didn't expect anything. Now that's class. It's nice to hear about people like that.

I agree that Chris Brown, himself, probably had a million thoughts in his head as he came off the stage. He had just performed in front of thousands of people, and been broadcast to millions. He had done an aerial stunt. I can see why his thinking may not have been focused on where that watch landed and that he ought to thank the person who got it back to security. I think it was his handlers, who are paid to manage his public persona, who realized they had missed an opportunity to make Chris look good to the public by having thanked the fan.

Any way, I really hope they did find the right person, and again, I salute her.

Of course, now Chris Brown is back in the news for posting a video on his Twitter account of himself "car surfing," which is hanging on to the roof of a car as it drives down a road. Fabulous.

Oh wow!  Coincidentally, someone from my area just died a couple weeks ago from doing that same thing!  Must be the new 'in' thing to do...

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
Psh. Hanging onto the roof? Amateur. This is how it's done!

Seriously, though, NOT a good idea.
The status is not quo!