Author Topic: Returning to Hawaii Update - reply 14  (Read 2399 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Returning to Hawaii Update - reply 14
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
We're spending a week on the Big Island in Kailua-Kona.  Where do we go for real Hawaiian food? We love all things you can eat with poi. ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:56:03 PM by Morticia »
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Returning to Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
Real Hawaiian food may be a disappointment. 

The Moco Loco is a gigantic feed that consists of two scoops of rice, a hamburger and brown gravy.We've been to Hawaii twice and, even though we had no qualms about flying over an active volcano in a helicopter with the doors off, we haven't summoned up the courage to try that dish.

Spam is ubiquitous in Hawaii.  Be prepared to encounter spam sushi. 

We were very interested in going for Dim Sum in Honolulu Chinatown.  We went to a very highly-rated place but the shrimp was bitter and the other dishes weren't up to Brooklyn Chinatown standards. 

I hate to have to say this, but you might get a better old-style Hawaiian meal by going to a tourist luau.   

quietgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
It's Loco Moco    ;D  Not a big fan, but I don't like eggs to begin with....

Just wanted to contribute that, I've got nothing else.  16 years in Honolulu, so if you want food recommendations there I have a ton!   ;D

Have fun! And have some kalua pig & poi for me!  Oh, and haupia.  Have haupia for me too......  I miss Hawaiian food.  sigh.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
The quest for lau lau and poke ahi continues...  ;D Bonus points if anyone can find me squid luau.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

LovesWater

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »
OK, if you drive south on the main road out of town (toward south point & volcanoes) there is (was) a small place on your right that serves kalua pork and lau lau - to go only.  I used to have the mile marker noted down somewhere, but will never be able to find it now that I want it. Maybe about 7 miles out of town?

Then, for poke, I like the grocery store at the crossroads near Hilo (I know, I know, it's on the other side of the island).  Had to check Google maps here - the grocery store is in Kea'au.  They have several different types of poke and sashimi.

Or, you can just ask the locals, as my info is hopelessly out-of-date. I found some killer saimin on the recommendation of a ranger at Puuhonua O' Honaunau.

LovesWater

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:43:11 AM »
When are you going? I am envisioning you already there, having your two fingers of poi.  mmmmmm.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
Call me crazy but I LOVE Loco Moco.........was so sad when our local Hawaiian BBQ place closed.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
When are you going? I am envisioning you already there, having your two fingers of poi.  mmmmmm.

First week of December. Can't wait.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »
If you head south you'll run into the World's Southernmost Bakery at Punalu'u and they had maladasas, which I understand are the Hawaiian donut.  We had lunch there. Then you can go to the Black Beach at Punalu'u and, if you're lucky, gawk at the green sea turtles basking on the beach.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
Thank you for the hint. I love sea turtles.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
My sister had read that they bask at Punalu'u and I scoffed. Til we got there and they were basking on the beach.  Same thign with our hotel- in Keauhou (I think it's spelled); the hotel -the one with the heiau on the property they call themselves "the home of the green sea turtle". Yeah right. sure. Til I peered out over the edge of the bar into the tidal pool and rocks and saw....green sea turtles. Basking.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
We saw a couple of sea turtles basking at the Place of Refuge (not going to attempt the Hawaiian spelling). Got some great pictures. And because I'm feeling festive and excited, here are some pictures:

-- Big Rude Jake

LovesWater

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Those pictures are fantastic!  I do love to snorkel there, and have seen them in the water, but never basking like that, wow!  thank you for sharing.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »
I haven't tried snorkelling off the Big Island yet. I am hoping to see sea turtles there. Glad you liked the pictures. I just love those little guys.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: Returning to Hawaii - Update
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
We are back and we had a wonderful time. As it turns out, we didn't need to go far at all. There's a place called Tante's on Ali'i drive that does some tasty lau lau and luau.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake