Author Topic: Reporting Procedures  (Read 13302 times)

Onyx_TKD

Re: Reporting Procedures
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
Mods, if we see a post or series of posts that looks likely to spark an argument but no rules have been violated yet, is it useful to you to get a heads-up that there may be trouble brewing? If so, what is the most helpful way to report it?

Sometimes a discussion seems to be getting increasingly adversarial without anyone having crossed the line yet, or there will be a vague comment that could be read in a very negative way even though I don't think that was the author's intent. I'm not sure whether it would be better to report it and tell you, e.g., "This discussion looks like it's getting heated" in case you want to keep an eye on it, or to wait and report only if it actually becomes a problem. Any mod opinions? Thanks.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
It's fine just to say something like "you might want to keep an eye on this thread" because it puts the thead on the radar until it cools down or doesn't.

It's common and we appreciate it. If we feel all is ok we won't intervene/
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
I think spirited discussion and disagreement are fine.

However, heated thread arguments here often erupt because if a newer member expresses a view contrary to what others have stated, veteran members jump in just to let each other know “I got your back, buddy/girlfriend, right on, I agree, I'm here to back you up”  peppered with snide references about the newer member - adding nothing to the actual discussion of the topic.  I feel this is a form of bullying, and I notice it frequently. “Cohesion’ can be a nice thing, but I don’t understand why having xthousand posts or being a member for xnumber of years gives some people carte blanche.  As far as reporting, I’ve sometimes reported and I’m aware of others who have reported it but it doesn’t seem to do much good.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:09:48 AM by veronaz »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
I think spirited discussion and disagreement are fine.

However, heated thread arguments here often erupt because if a newer member expresses a view contrary to what others have stated, veteran members jump in just to let each other know ďI got your back, buddy/girlfriend, right on, I agree, I'm here to back you upĒ  peppered with snide references about the newer member - adding nothing to the actual discussion of the topic.  I feel this is a form of bullying, and I notice it frequently. ďCohesioní can be a nice thing, but I donít understand why having xthousand posts or being a member for xnumber of years gives some people carte blanche.  As far as reporting, Iíve sometimes reported and Iím aware of others who have reported it but it doesnít seem to do much good.

Can you give an example? I've never seen this happening.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »
but I donít understand why having xthousand posts or being a member for xnumber of years gives some people carte blanche.  As far as reporting, Iíve sometimes reported and Iím aware of others who have reported it but it doesnít seem to do much good.

If we don't act on a report it's because we didn't find it mod worthy. You may not agree but if we acted on every complaint we'd do nothing else. As for "bullying" newbies, report it. If you have reported such incidents we obviously didn't see it the same way you did.

However, nobody is perfect and if you can post some examples it would be helpful.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
I think that posting examples might create other problems.  But, I do appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
You are absolutely correct and I obviously had a brain fart. If you're so inclined feel free to PM me with them.