Author Topic: Issues with Posters/Veracity/Suspected Trolling  (Read 26321 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Issues with Posters/Veracity/Suspected Trolling
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »

1.  There are trolls on the Internet and Ehell is not immune from them. 

2.  There are some seriously obsessed/disturbed people online these days.  Some of them have stated a life's mission to troll Ehell.   The moderating tools available to admins and mods are quite sophisticated and we use them but sometimes a troll gets in. 

3.  This forum is not a therapy support group.  It has been written in the rules and extensively in threads by mods over the years that we are not equipted to handle issues related to medical problems, mental illness, sexual advice,  legal advice and so forth.  We are not here to be a support group for any issues other than etiquette faux pas.  If a poster requires an inordinate amount of mental health, legal advice, etc that elicits strong feelings of sympathy, that *could* be a warning flag.  Your responsibility is to check your emotions, step back and reserve judgment until such time as you have more evidence one way or the other regarding the veracity of the story. 

4.  Each member is responsible for their own emotional investment in other people's lives.  The moderators cannot shield every member from ever being duped by some clever troll.  The moderators will remove trolls once it is determined that member is one. 

5.  Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.  If I were to discuss a situation I've been going through this past year, I'm sure some would call shenanigans.  One friend said, "Jeanne, if I didn't know you in real life and see this unfold, I'd never believe it."   Be very careful how you call shenanigans.   It is very acceptable to ask people for clarifications on what you perceive to be holes in the story.  Outright claiming they are lying is not acceptable.  Ask questions in such a way that it becomes obvious by their own answers that they've hung themselves....that's what we mean by giving people plenty of rope to hang themselves.  Some members are very good at setting up great questions and the stupid troll slams the ball right out of the ball park with their answers.

6.  Calling people out in threads about something they did in another thread or dragging conflicts from one thread to another is a quick way to get on a moderator radar.  Particularly if you've never bothered to report problems to a moderator.   It's disruptive to the forum, adds fuel to whatever fires, broadcasts what could have been a very "local" problem in one thread to a greater audience and you will have the mods wondering if you are a troll making trouble on the forum. 

6. There are drama queens on the Internet.   But being a drama queen on Ehell means you are using this forum in a manner inconsistent with its mission statement.   Moderators have banned a few members whose drama queeniness seems to be a way of life and they contribute nothing of value to the forum other than an incessant whining about the miserable state of their life. 

6.  If you suspect someone is a troll or a previously banned member, please contact a moderator via the Report link.  Some of our members are *very* good detectives and provide the mods with irrefutable proof of their belief that someone is not who they claim to be.    Having an "feeling" about someone will get noted by the mods but probably not acted upon unless more evidence surfaces.  Given that some  rare people do use the Report feature to retaliate against members they don't like, everyone should take comfort that the mods do not ban based solely on word of mouth reports. 

7.  Self policing is not the same as being a vigilante.  Self policing means you take responsibility to manage your own reading, to ignore annoying people, to walk away from threads that bother or disturb you, to control your own words and reactions, use the "delete" key as needed and use the Report link when necessary.  Some of the things reported as abusive to mods could have been dealt with a simple "delete" of the offending PM or thread.   

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: Issues with Posters/Veracity/Suspected Trolling
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »
This is a great list with great wording. We've had so many threads asking bout these issues, this really spells it out clearly, IMO. Thank you for this!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Thanks Dame!
I honestly haven't noticed too many issues like the ones listed but I guess that means the mods are doing a great job of getting them taken care of before I get to them. That or I am just fortunate enough to miss the heavy drama threads.

I like it here. I don't want all that drama. Heck, I use this forum to AVOID drama so I am glad that whatever is going on is being dealt with so we can keep it that way.  :D

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Ooh thank you (I do not know how I missed this one).

You answered my question!!!

xxx
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
Maybe this has already been answered so please point me in the right direction if I'm being redundant.

What happens if the etiquette advice is tied up in legal/medical issues?  I have noticed when reading older posts that some posts get locked and others don't.  I haven't been figure out from reading how much medical/legal chit chat will be tolerated before a mod steps in.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
I would say at a guess when 3 or 4 posters have posted lengthy monologues which tear away from the main point of the thread. I have seen warnings from Mods that if people do not get back to the point then the thread will be locked.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
That makes sense Hollanda...

HorseFreak

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Maybe this has already been answered so please point me in the right direction if I'm being redundant.

What happens if the etiquette advice is tied up in legal/medical issues?  I have noticed when reading older posts that some posts get locked and others don't.  I haven't been figure out from reading how much medical/legal chit chat will be tolerated before a mod steps in.

Telling someone they should consider consulting a lawyer or doctor is OK. For example, "I would suggest having your doctor look at your toe because it could be serious." or "You should consult a lawyer because there might be a local law pertaining to how to handle fence payment with neighbors." Giving outright legal or medical advice is NOT ok, such as, "Your toe is green with polka dots on Tuesdays because your pancreas needs to be removed," is not OK. There's sometimes a fine line between OK and not OK and you can always ask a mod.

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
I would say at a guess when 3 or 4 posters have posted lengthy monologues which tear away from the main point of the thread. I have seen warnings from Mods that if people do not get back to the point then the thread will be locked.

What about in the Off-Topic folder? For example, "Post your Favourite Animal"

Poster 1: I like dogs.
Poster 2: I like cats
Poster 3: Oh my goodness, I like dogs too! What kind of dogs do you like? Where did you get yours? What kind of food do you feed them?
Poster 4: I think horses are pretty neat.
Poster 1: [quote poster 2] I have cockapoos and I love them! I got them from Cockapoos R' Us! I feed them Super Amazing Dog Food!
Poster 5: Oh I love Super Amazing Dog Food! But it's so expensive!
Poster 6: Hey where my axolotl fans be at?
Poster 1: Oh you should try Costco for Super Amazing Dog Food! You can get it for 2.99 a pound!
Posters 2, 4, and 6: ... (and the dog conversation continues on)

hehe...I had too much fun with that  ;D
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 04:07:54 AM »
It is frustrating when you really want an answer to your question and people just veer off topic. I did actually leave eHell when I was pregnant because I felt intimidated (see Complete Silence: "Since When Has Being Pregnant Been Disgusting?")I was simply frustrated with trying to get my point across. In the end I gave up, forgetting what my point even was.  It hurt me, the number of people who hinted that I was a Pregzilla or SS wanted to be treated "different". I didn't. I just wanted common courtesy, the same as I show others. Anyway. It got sorted, I just don't want this to happen again. :(

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
I have noticed a couple of otherwise normal folks (or at least people that have multiple hundred posts, so I'd assume they have been playing by the rules for a while) that have gone absolutely screechy angry horrible in the last few weeks. Has anyone else noticed this? Posts that were pretty much all agreeing with the OP, then one that is just 'if you do that you'd be better off killing puppies' sort of reactions.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »
I have noticed a couple of otherwise normal folks (or at least people that have multiple hundred posts, so I'd assume they have been playing by the rules for a while) that have gone absolutely screechy angry horrible in the last few weeks. Has anyone else noticed this? Posts that were pretty much all agreeing with the OP, then one that is just 'if you do that you'd be better off killing puppies' sort of reactions.

I haven't noticed any particular posters, but I have noticed an unusual number of threads that have gotten rather... bitter.  :-\ Normally we can disagree with each other and not get quite so personal about it.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
I haven't noticed any particular posters, but I have noticed an unusual number of threads that have gotten rather... bitter.  :-\ Normally we can disagree with each other and not get quite so personal about it.

I'm at least glad I'm not the only one that's noticed it - some people have gotten really nasty with folks for minor things. Maybe it's just holiday stress?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

I'm at least glad I'm not the only one that's noticed it - some people have gotten really nasty with folks for minor things. Maybe it's just holiday stress?

I hope so!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »

I hope so!

It's cyclical. Things go great for a while, and then there's a bit of everyone being grouchy at the same time. Usually it settles down pretty quickly (and holiday stress could be part of it, sometimes it's just a topic that comes up that riles people). Sometimes it doesn't settle, and that's when we go through dark times where people end up banned or gagged for a while.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont