Author Topic: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?  (Read 11168 times)

lkb

What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
Hi:
I haven't watched TV much but will likely being doing more so now that I'm caring for my elderly mother (who is a TV addict).

At any rate, I've discovered I have two television addictions: "Say Yes to the Dress" and "What Not to Wear."

While I enjoy looking at the various fashions, I am put off by the snarkiness of the hosts of "What Not to Wear" and the proprietors/employees of "Say Yes to the Dress."

I realize that the subjects of these shows put themselves up for this. After all the whole point of "What Not to Wear" is to critique the subject's  choices and offer improvements. However, I frankly think the comments could be a bit kinder. (In all honesty, the hosts' tastes are certainly not mine.)

And in "Say Yes to the Dress", quite often the proprietors/employees make quite rude comments about the customer and her companions. (Way to make a sale worth thousand of dollars, insult the bride's family.) One in particular comes to mind: A bride's mother thought a certain dress was too revealing and the proprietor (in one of those behind-the-scenes after-the-fact commentaries) says, "What's next? A chastity belt?" (So we're not allowed to have differing levels of modesty?)

I know, I know -- the snarkiness makes for good television but I think they cross the line too often.

What do you think?

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
Re: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Yes I think the hosts of those shows are very rude. That's why I'll never watch them. But then I always hate what the "experts" say is "fashionable" anyway.

Ed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:30:32 PM by Master_Edward »

kglory

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:52 AM »
They have definitely gotten a lot ruder on SYTTD behind the people's backs.  I am not a fan of the Atlanta version. I think it's even snarkier than New York!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:11:53 AM »
I love Trinny and Susannah.  Yes, the advice they give would be rude in a social situation - but the people on these shows have gone on there for honest advice.  What would be the point giving them 2000 to buy new clothes if you hadn't been honest with them about what they should and should not wear for their body shape?

I also love T&S because they are not bothered by what is "fashionable" but by what is stylish and will last a long time in a variety of situations.  They don't pressure people to lose weight but help them dress in a way that is flattering to their shape.  The smiles on these women's faces after the makeover say it all!

Frankly if someone gave me 2k to buy new clothes they could be as rude as they liked...

shadowfox79

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:27:13 AM »
I'm a Gok Wan fan myself. He's definitely opinionated, but tends not to be rude, probably because "How to Look Good Naked" deals with people with major self-esteem problems and the focus is on making them feel good about themselves, not on telling them they look like crap in that outfit.

I do like Trinny and Susannah, but I do remember gasping when Trinny yanked a woman's knickers down to get rid of a visible panty line.

lollylegs

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
I think that Trinny and Susannah need to be blunt sometimes because some of the people on the show are so resistant to change. And I agree that they don't push fashionable clothing on people, it's all about style and making the most of your best features.

I do like Trinny and Susannah, but I do remember gasping when Trinny yanked a woman's knickers down to get rid of a visible panty line.

I once read an interview with Trinny where she said that moment was her biggest regret. I was shocked also when she did that!

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
lkb, did you mean the hosts of the original (British) What Not To Wear, Trinny and Susannah, or those of TLC's What Not To Wear, Stacy and Clinton? I only know the latter. Yes, they can be very snarky but I used to watch the show religiously. I think they made a genuine effort to see beyond the fashion faux-pas and see what went on in the person's head. And some candidates were not too nice.

I've never seen Say Yes To The Dress so I have no opinion on the topic.

LadyL

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I think SYTTD is more of a business transaction that happens to be filmed.

WNTW is a different type of show. They get into a lot more psychology of why people don't take care of themselves (which extends to things like grooming or holding oneself back from life or career opportunities). Clinton and Stacey are more like life coaches (though I detest that term it fits) than 'just' stylists.  By the end of it their role is like your one friend or relative who always tells it straight and you love them for it. Because they have more of a bond with their subjects I think they can push the boundaries and not have it be rude. The person knowingly signed up for it, after all. Brides who are dress shopping, on the other hand, are there for a dress and that's it.

Ruelz

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
I watch TLCs WNTW and SYTTD.  I can't say I've ever found them rude.  Candid yes...but not rude.
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

lkb

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
Hi:
I was referring to the TLC version (never heard of Trinny and Susannah until this thread).

For one, I hate how Clinton and Stacy dump the subject's clothes in the trash (I'm too cheap for that to go down easy in any case) but to make rude comments on it -- even on really innocuous stuff. "Hey Stacy! What's worse than one mock turtleneck! Two mock turtlenecks!" is one of the kinder comments. (Without explaining what exactly is wrong with a mock turtleneck, I might add.)

Yes, I know the subjects (or a "loved" (?) one) asked for it. (I don't know how I'd feel if a "loved" one asked for such an intervention.). I just think the comments could be presented in a kinder way. I can understand why the subjects often seem frustrated mid-week.

As to SYTTD, in a way the brides and their families must know what they are in for  -- traveling hundreds of miles to a specific bridal store that just happens to be on national TV. But still....

Sorry, I shouldn't have lumped SYTTD in with makeover shows. They just happen to be the two shows I'm very mildly addicted to and they both happen to be about clothes.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
Trinny and Susannah were the original - they launched WNTW on the Beeb in 2001  :)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
I loved Trinny and Susannah. Both could be quite blunt, but they respected the person's taste, showing how to look fab in many different ways and for many different styles. I remember some shows where the style developed into a combination of modern/vintage, another where the person's wild and wacky taste became a bright but tasteful look or how an executive woman's crisp and chic final wardrobe was completely different from a laid back mom's casual and trendy clothes. I liked how they used themselves as examples ("I have thick legs so I wear XYZ") instead of pretending they had perfect bodies. Another point was that they generally found a few things in the original wardrobe that worked and showed why. They also seemed a lot more worried about why the person had let themselves go or dressed the way they did.

I can't stand Clinton and Stacy, but specially Stacy. She reminds of the popular girls who bullied the others in high school, because they weren't perfect like her. Stacy seems to want to turn everyone into a mini-Stacy, regardless of their lifestyle or taste. They are both way too snarky and could deliver their message in a much kinder, even if still blunt. I have never seen them keep an original wardrobe item and I can't believe no one ever has one item that is good.

shadowfox79

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
There was one whose name I can't remember here in the UK, presented by Mel Giedroyc. The idea was that Mel would put the subject in one room and her friends in another, connected by a two-way mirror, then would get the friends to talk about the subject's dress sense while the subject listened in. This was then followed by a makeover

I'm not sure why this came as a surprise, but there was one episode where the friends, not knowing they were being overheard, became so insulting about the subject that she came storming out of the second room and marched off the set.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
Trinny and Susannah did an excellent series a few years ago, with women with very poor body image.  They got the women to stand naked with their partners (also naked) in a screened off room to talk about their bodies.  It was heartbreaking in some cases to see how much these women honestly hated themselves, and how much their partners loved them and just couldn't see all these "imperfections".

The women got the chance to discuss their body image and get a makeover which really lifted their spirits.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
I loved Trinny and Susannah. Both could be quite blunt, but they respected the person's taste, showing how to look fab in many different ways and for many different styles. I remember some shows where the style developed into a combination of modern/vintage, another where the person's wild and wacky taste became a bright but tasteful look or how an executive woman's crisp and chic final wardrobe was completely different from a laid back mom's casual and trendy clothes. I liked how they used themselves as examples ("I have thick legs so I wear XYZ") instead of pretending they had perfect bodies. Another point was that they generally found a few things in the original wardrobe that worked and showed why. They also seemed a lot more worried about why the person had let themselves go or dressed the way they did.

I can't stand Clinton and Stacy, but specially Stacy. She reminds of the popular girls who bullied the others in high school, because they weren't perfect like her. Stacy seems to want to turn everyone into a mini-Stacy, regardless of their lifestyle or taste. They are both way too snarky and could deliver their message in a much kinder, even if still blunt. I have never seen them keep an original wardrobe item and I can't believe no one ever has one item that is good.

If that's the same one I am thinking of, the woman wore such awful things that her boss wouldn't let her work the front desk (which she desperately wanted to do).  She seemed so much happier after the makeover, a lot of her "in-your-faceness" seems to come from the fact that she didn't like herself very much.

I also love that T&S are realistic about their own bodies, and happy to share their own faux-pas.  Their books, to go with the series, are fun.