Author Topic: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?  (Read 10319 times)

DCGirl

Re: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »
For one, I hate how Clinton and Stacy dump the subject's clothes in the trash (I'm too cheap for that to go down easy in any case) but to make rude comments on it -- even on really innocuous stuff. "Hey Stacy! What's worse than one mock turtleneck! Two mock turtlenecks!" is one of the kinder comments. (Without explaining what exactly is wrong with a mock turtleneck, I might add.)

Stacy and Clinton have said repeatedly in interviews that must of that is staged for the cameras.  Clothes are not thrown in the trash unless they deserve to be thrown in the trash (i.e., they're ripped or damaged), they're donated to charity, and they never truly force anyone to give up something they don't want to give up. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
Trinny and Susannah did an excellent series a few years ago, with women with very poor body image.  They got the women to stand naked with their partners (also naked) in a screened off room to talk about their bodies.  It was heartbreaking in some cases to see how much these women honestly hated themselves, and how much their partners loved them and just couldn't see all these "imperfections".

The women got the chance to discuss their body image and get a makeover which really lifted their spirits.

So, how would they have handled a woman who hated her body and had no partner?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »
Trinny and Susannah did an excellent series a few years ago, with women with very poor body image.  They got the women to stand naked with their partners (also naked) in a screened off room to talk about their bodies.  It was heartbreaking in some cases to see how much these women honestly hated themselves, and how much their partners loved them and just couldn't see all these "imperfections".

The women got the chance to discuss their body image and get a makeover which really lifted their spirits.

I don't recall that were were any.  It was only about 6 shows they did like that, one couple per show.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

There was (still is?) a show a little like that in France. I don't know if there is a similar one in other countries. It was called "Belle Toute Nue" (beautiful naked) and it, too, was meant for women with really bad self esteem and body image issues. For the most part, they were women who had been battling extra weight for years, had tried all the diets and just couldn't stand their bodies. I think some of them were single. The show wasn't so much centered  on the partner. The host was very gentle, very supportive, all the while bringing the necessary criticism. The women were guided through a process of accepting their bodies by correcting their body perception (many saw themselves as much bigger than they really were), focusing on their assets, then going through the makeover process and eventually, they had to be naked in public (hey, that's France!  ;)   ), either in a catwalk situation, or a billboard, in a window shop, etc.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
Belle Toute Nue sounds a lot like How to Look Good Naked. I love Gok Wan and I loved when Carson Kressley did a US version of it. Tim Gunn had a short-lived makeover show, and I nearly died in paroxysms of joy.  ;D

I actually like Stacy and Clinton. Yes, they play some stuff up for the cameras, but they really do try to help and get the people to love themselves more. They are constantly pointing out positives and telling people how awesome they are. I also don't get the argument that Stacy wants everyone to be a mini Stacy. I disagree; I think you can see a lot of individual style in what they pick for people. Is there some uniformity? Yes, but let's be honest here. There are certain requirements that must be met when dressing for a lot of jobs. Many, many people are being held back professionally because of their clothes, and Stacy and Clinton help them overcome it.

Oh, and I don't feel for the girls on SYTTD. Not everyone who comes in is filmed; they have to agree to participate on the show. I love the New York staff, but the Atlanta people are kind of awful.
The status is not quo!

Mopsy428

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »
I watch TLCs WNTW and SYTTD.  I can't say I've ever found them rude.  Candid yes...but not rude.
I mostly agree, although SYTTD Atlanta staff can be a bit harsh.

In regards to the chastity belt comment, Monty said that after the mother (who was a royal pain in the tuckus) was nit-picking every little thing, and then didn't like a certain dress because it wasn't white.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »
You know, I notice that in SYTTD, they make a big point about how it's the BRIDE'S dress and the bride loves this dress and the bride should have this dress.

But, my feelings are if someone else is paying for the dress, they shouldn't be forced to pay for something they find inappropriate.

Furthermore, I HATE how they are always putting these girls in dresses waaaay outside their budget and then pressuring the money holder to pay the extra $$$$ because the bride loooooooves the dress.

Other than that, love the show.

I do think that Stacy and Clinton can be harsh sometimes, but a lot of the times that harshness can bring out honesty in their subjects. I've seen people go from, "I don't care what I look like and how I dress" to "I am hiding behind my apparel because I am self-conscious" very quickly because of a few pointed criticisms and reminders.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
Belle Toute Nue sounds a lot like How to Look Good Naked. I love Gok Wan and I loved when Carson Kressley did a US version of it. Tim Gunn had a short-lived makeover show, and I nearly died in paroxysms of joy.  ;D

I actually like Stacy and Clinton. Yes, they play some stuff up for the cameras, but they really do try to help and get the people to love themselves more. They are constantly pointing out positives and telling people how awesome they are. I also don't get the argument that Stacy wants everyone to be a mini Stacy. I disagree; I think you can see a lot of individual style in what they pick for people. Is there some uniformity? Yes, but let's be honest here. There are certain requirements that must be met when dressing for a lot of jobs. Many, many people are being held back professionally because of their clothes, and Stacy and Clinton help them overcome it.

Oh, and I don't feel for the girls on SYTTD. Not everyone who comes in is filmed; they have to agree to participate on the show. I love the New York staff, but the Atlanta people are kind of awful.

I hearted Tim Gunn's show so much! Why did it go away?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
I think Clinton and Stacey are "professionally rude" - it's sort of like Simon Cowell, it's not personal, and if you take it personally, you shouldn't go on their show.

The problem, I think, is that there may be people watching who think that you can talk to people like that when you're *not* a tv host, offering people $5000 to redo their wardrobe, without being extremely offensive.

(Oh, and I think Stacey has to learn that not everyone can bear high heels, whether they look good or not, but that's a different issue.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Scotty Dog

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
There was one whose name I can't remember here in the UK, presented by Mel Giedroyc. The idea was that Mel would put the subject in one room and her friends in another, connected by a two-way mirror, then would get the friends to talk about the subject's dress sense while the subject listened in. This was then followed by a makeover

I'm not sure why this came as a surprise, but there was one episode where the friends, not knowing they were being overheard, became so insulting about the subject that she came storming out of the second room and marched off the set.

Was that Tell It to Me Straight?

shadowfox79

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »
There was one whose name I can't remember here in the UK, presented by Mel Giedroyc. The idea was that Mel would put the subject in one room and her friends in another, connected by a two-way mirror, then would get the friends to talk about the subject's dress sense while the subject listened in. This was then followed by a makeover

I'm not sure why this came as a surprise, but there was one episode where the friends, not knowing they were being overheard, became so insulting about the subject that she came storming out of the second room and marched off the set.

Was that Tell It to Me Straight?

Just looked it up and yes, it was!

DuBois

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
You know, I notice that in SYTTD, they make a big point about how it's the BRIDE'S dress and the bride loves this dress and the bride should have this dress.

But, my feelings are if someone else is paying for the dress, they shouldn't be forced to pay for something they find inappropriate. Furthermore, I HATE how they are always putting these girls in dresses waaaay outside their budget and then pressuring the money holder to pay the extra $$$$ because the bride loooooooves the dress.

Other than that, love the show.

I do think that Stacy and Clinton can be harsh sometimes, but a lot of the times that harshness can bring out honesty in their subjects. I've seen people go from, "I don't care what I look like and how I dress" to "I am hiding behind my apparel because I am self-conscious" very quickly because of a few pointed criticisms and reminders.

Unless the non-bride dress buyer doesn't want to buy the dress because it is too expensive(which I think is 100% valid) I don't agree with the bolded. I think that if you offer to buy a bridal dress for someone as a gift, you don't get to put strings on it. The bride is the one who has to wear the dress, and yes, I think that they should have the final say. If you (general) don't want to pay for it, then don't. But I don't think that to have a 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' attitude about it is really in the spirit of the thing.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »
I hearted Tim Gunn's show so much! Why did it go away?

I don't know, but I was so sad! I loved it!
The status is not quo!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »
I watch these shows on Rare occasion. No money in the world would make me try it.

I would be a terrible participant... I have long hair that I Will Not Shorten. I cannot wear high heels. my waist changes size from morning to night, sometimes as much as 2 sizes. The only make up I wear is mascara and lippy.  The last time I wore something nice, It got all muddy [I joined the kids in the sandpit  ;D]

" I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair"  hahaha

[Note, people tell me I dress OK, even nicely, that suits who I am, my character and my whack y sense of persona. ]

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »
I think Stacy and Clinton tailor their snark to the person who is the guest for the week. I remember some shows where they were quite gentle, because the subject for the week had a fragile body image or something similar. The snark increases the more the subject resists their attempts to get them to change. And I never get the feeling that they are being snarky to hurt someone; they are being snarky to make a point. It's more tough love than mean girl nastiness.

There was a different male host the first season of the US WNTW--if I remember correctly, he could get pretty mean.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn