Author Topic: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?  (Read 9429 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
Ugh, yes, I hated Wayne.
The status is not quo!

jmarvellous

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
My co-worker was on WNTW. First, there's an off-camera stylist who's with them the whole time. Even on the 'solo' day. It's VERY different from how they present it -- they won't let you 'waste' their money, really. But she said that off-camera, Stacy and Clinton were really nice, if sort of distant. The off-camera stylist was her guide and helper, really. They were just the window dressing.

She only got rid of a couple of things for good; the symbolic 'trashing' of the clothes was purely symbolic, though they did get rid of a few of her more horrendous things. She didn't just have the $5k of clothes to wear from there on out. Now, fiveish years later, she's somewhat more stylish, and definitely more creative, but she's definitely allowed the quirk back in her wardrobe.

If I got the chance to be on the show, knowing her experience, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
On Facebook, Clinton said that if someone buys something heinous on shopping day 1, they make them return it.
The status is not quo!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
I can understand why the subjects often seem frustrated mid-week.

I would imagine that most of the participants of WNTW get frustrated mid-week because it's generally pretty hard to completely shift what clothing you wear.  Most of the people who end up on that show do so because they've either allowed themselves to get into a rut with their appearance, or they have a somewhat distorted image of what they look like in the clothes they wear.  Add into that the fact that a lot of the people on the show are in a clothing rut or have a distorted image primarily because of insecurity about their looks.  It's not something that you can just wave a magic wand and get rid of after a couple of days.

I also think I read somewhere awhile ago that all the clothes purchased on WNTW get tailored to fit (which is part of the reason why they do fit so well).  It can be frustrating to continually try on clothing that doesn't quite fit right, and if you're not familiar with tailoring techniques, it can be hard to see which things would fit with a little adjustment.

Everlee

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
I stopped watching WNTW because I just couldn't stand their "I'm so much smarter about this than you are" attitude towards the people.  I admit that I sometimes dress really quirky, I've even passed on that attitude towards my kids.  I don't know how many times they've gone to school after dressing themselves in mismatched clothes.  But you know what?  WE like the way we dress.  WE are comfortable and WE feel pretty.  I always feel so bad for the girls on the show who are made to feel like lepers for dressing the way they do.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
I don't think they make people feel like lepers for being quirky. They do, however, tell people when they are dressing inappropriately. They find ways to let people keep their style and still be appropriate for work, their kids' schools, etc.

They also do actually let people wear flats if they can't handle heels.
The status is not quo!

Everlee

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
I don't think they make people feel like lepers for being quirky. They do, however, tell people when they are dressing inappropriately. They find ways to let people keep their style and still be appropriate for work, their kids' schools, etc.

But their version of appropriate isn't always everyone's version.  I am not talking about the ones who dressed racy, but the ones who were what they called frumpy or who dressed out of the box.  I fully agree with them about the people who wore revealing clothes all the time, that is a little much.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »

But their version of appropriate isn't always everyone's version.  I am not talking about the ones who dressed racy, but the ones who were what they called frumpy or who dressed out of the box.  I fully agree with them about the people who wore revealing clothes all the time, that is a little much.

I think that most of the time, their version is what is considered appropriate out in the working world. I can't even count how many bosses I've seen who have said people are being held back by their wardrobes, and it's often the quirky or frumpy dressers who get these comments.
The status is not quo!

Dragons 8 Cactus

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
Snort... If I dress how they recomend, i would be mutton dressed as lamb or, dowdie.

There in not a lot out there for a later 40 conservative dressing lady, that still wants style, but with extra long hair, a sting of Pearls and flowers in her hair.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
Snort... If I dress how they recomend, i would be mutton dressed as lamb or, dowdie.

There in not a lot out there for a later 40 conservative dressing lady, that still wants style, but with extra long hair, a sting of Pearls and flowers in her hair.

Oh, I'd have a blast styling you! You just have to know where to look. (I love dressing other people and am actually pretty good at it.)
The status is not quo!

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
I love WNTW. I like Stacy, but Clinton is my favorite. I do think the thing to remember is that it's not them who nominates the makeoveree. It's actually their friends and family, the people who know them best, who do the nominating. Are they snarky? Yes, but I like that. I guess my feeling is that if they don't feel they need a makeover, or want to get their style trashed, it's probably best not to be on the show.

There is a woman, who is still talked about on the message boards as being the worst nominee of all times, Lynn. She had hair probably down to her knees, and she refused to allow Nick, the stylist, to do anything to it. Nothing. No color, no cut, etc. I think she finally agreed to a small trim. She came off looking very ungracious and bratty. The worst part of it all was that she nominated herself and was chosen from a casting call. I guess I do feel that there are so many women who would kill to be on WNTW, that if you accept the makeover process, you should embrace all of it. Not agree to everything blindly, but go in with an open mind and willingness about it.

audrey1962

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
I stopped watching WNTW because I just couldn't stand their "I'm so much smarter about this than you are" attitude towards the people.  I admit that I sometimes dress really quirky, I've even passed on that attitude towards my kids.  I don't know how many times they've gone to school after dressing themselves in mismatched clothes.  But you know what?  WE like the way we dress.  WE are comfortable and WE feel pretty.  I always feel so bad for the girls on the show who are made to feel like lepers for dressing the way they do.

Addressing the bolded: I think that's great!!! Therefore, I recommend you not go on the show. Those who go on the show are unhappy with how they dress.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
There is a woman, who is still talked about on the message boards as being the worst nominee of all times, Lynn. She had hair probably down to her knees, and she refused to allow Nick, the stylist, to do anything to it. Nothing. No color, no cut, etc. I think she finally agreed to a small trim. She came off looking very ungracious and bratty. The worst part of it all was that she nominated herself and was chosen from a casting call. I guess I do feel that there are so many women who would kill to be on WNTW, that if you accept the makeover process, you should embrace all of it. Not agree to everything blindly, but go in with an open mind and willingness about it.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! She made me nuts!!!!! And frankly, she needed a haircut. Badly. Her hair was destroyed. I also have long hair (although not that long), but if it got that trashed, I would chop it. And like you said, she nominated herself! It's so frustrating to think of all the other people who wanted that position and didn't get it, and then she just is an ungrateful brat the whole way through.
The status is not quo!

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! She made me nuts!!!!! And frankly, she needed a haircut. Badly. Her hair was destroyed. I also have long hair (although not that long), but if it got that trashed, I would chop it. And like you said, she nominated herself! It's so frustrating to think of all the other people who wanted that position and didn't get it, and then she just is an ungrateful brat the whole way through.

She was infuriating!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »

Hair is tricky.  I've worn mine both super long and super short, and I recently chopped it all off.  It was a bit of a wrench to let go of that much hair at once (even though I'd been pondering a drastic haircut for like a year), so I can understand why someone who has that suggestion/request sprung on them might react with (essentially) horror.  It's really easy to get attached to long hair.

But one thing I've had to really admit to myself...long hair is not an especially good look for me, at least not right now.  I wore it up 90% of the time anyway because it looked more professional, but having long hair in a bun ends up looking sort of severe.  Plus, I wasn't willing to invest a lot of time in it, and wash-and-go styles are a little harder to maintain with waist-length hair.  I spend the same amount of time on my hair now that it's short as I did when it was long, only I end up looking like I actually styled it.  It's also way easier to get it looking appropriate for my somewhat formal workplace, which is a huge bonus for me.

I think that finding the range of hair lengths that is the most flattering for any given person can be something of a challenge, and it often involves less than flattering haircuts.  But people who insist that their hair must be long or must be short (or really, must be anything) can be missing out on some very flattering, easy to maintain and fun to wear hairstyles.  That's different than someone who can't grow long hair that looks nice or has tried shorter haircuts and didn't like any of them or only has a finite amount of time/money to invest in any hairstyle.