Author Topic: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?  (Read 10560 times)

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
Re: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 03:16:12 AM »
There is a woman, who is still talked about on the message boards as being the worst nominee of all times, Lynn. She had hair probably down to her knees, and she refused to allow Nick, the stylist, to do anything to it. Nothing. No color, no cut, etc. I think she finally agreed to a small trim. She came off looking very ungracious and bratty. The worst part of it all was that she nominated herself and was chosen from a casting call. I guess I do feel that there are so many women who would kill to be on WNTW, that if you accept the makeover process, you should embrace all of it. Not agree to everything blindly, but go in with an open mind and willingness about it.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! She made me nuts!!!!! And frankly, she needed a haircut. Badly. Her hair was destroyed. I also have long hair (although not that long), but if it got that trashed, I would chop it. And like you said, she nominated herself! It's so frustrating to think of all the other people who wanted that position and didn't get it, and then she just is an ungrateful brat the whole way through.

Snort, I should not comment, but, alas I will.

This lady is from a board that I am on. And this was much talked about

She said they were roughly playing with her hair, trying to convince her to cut. Even sprayed something in it 'to make volume' I have seen the ep you mention.

But, I know what her original clean hair looks like and it is simply wonderful. Well kept. Luscious long hair.

Please remember these shows are about 'dramatic' changes. and there is not much more dramatic than cutting long hair short.

I could say a lot more, but I will get off my soap box now :-X

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
There is a woman, who is still talked about on the message boards as being the worst nominee of all times, Lynn. She had hair probably down to her knees, and she refused to allow Nick, the stylist, to do anything to it. Nothing. No color, no cut, etc. I think she finally agreed to a small trim. She came off looking very ungracious and bratty. The worst part of it all was that she nominated herself and was chosen from a casting call. I guess I do feel that there are so many women who would kill to be on WNTW, that if you accept the makeover process, you should embrace all of it. Not agree to everything blindly, but go in with an open mind and willingness about it.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! She made me nuts!!!!! And frankly, she needed a haircut. Badly. Her hair was destroyed. I also have long hair (although not that long), but if it got that trashed, I would chop it. And like you said, she nominated herself! It's so frustrating to think of all the other people who wanted that position and didn't get it, and then she just is an ungrateful brat the whole way through.

Snort, I should not comment, but, alas I will.

This lady is from a board that I am on. And this was much talked about

She said they were roughly playing with her hair, trying to convince her to cut. Even sprayed something in it 'to make volume' I have seen the ep you mention.

But, I know what her original clean hair looks like and it is simply wonderful. Well kept. Luscious long hair.

Please remember these shows are about 'dramatic' changes. and there is not much more dramatic than cutting long hair short.

I could say a lot more, but I will get off my soap box now :-X

I still think she was bratty and ungracious. She nominated herself, which I think is why people objected to her so much. This wasn't a surprise ambush. She tried out for a makeover show that does full hair and makeup.  It's about a complete transformation. And then refused to allow them to do anything to her hair. She had clearly watched the show before, and knows that one of the biggest parts of the show is the hair. Whether it's a cut, or color, or whatever. She also complained about the makeup and didn't like that either. She didn't feel like herself. If you aren't OK with makeup or hair, don't nominate yourself.

I don't know her personally, but she came off looking very bad on the show and I really have very little sympathy for her.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:37:52 AM by jimithing »

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
From what I understand, She signed a disclaimer saying that she would only do the show if they left her hair alone.
And then on the forum she made daily comments on the real hard sell pressure they were putting on her to cut

I am not trying to make her out to be an angel here, I am just trying to point out this coin has 2 sides. I'm pointing out what little I know of her's.

I forget the reason she nominated herself, It had something to do with a third party involved. left to her own devices I do not believe she would have signed up.

As the end of the showpiece she intended to put her hair up into an elaborate updo, they wouldn't let her. if Nick couldn't do her hair, No hairstyles :(

Hmmmm, I thinks Ma soapbox just grew a yard Oppps, sorry All.  :-[

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »
Well, I remember the before videos of her, and to me, she looked like she needed a good portion of her hair chopped off because it was breaking. I have waist-length hair, so I know what it's like. (New hairdressers are always surprised to see what good shape it's in.) I really feel like there's no point in having really long hair if you don't take really good care of it, and not having so much as a trim for 10 years is not taking care of it. YMMV, of course.

I agree with Jimi. If she didn't want her hair touched and didn't want to wear make-up, she shouldn't have nominated herself for that show. Someone else who would have loved the full transformation should have gotten that spot.
The status is not quo!

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Her hair was fine.

And i have hip length hair.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
Not only do I like What Not To Wear, I've hounded my sister to nominate me. $5k in new clothes and professional advice on hair and makeup? Please oh please throw ME in that briar patch!
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Dr. Horrible

• The secret to happiness is cream cheese icing.
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
WNTW is OK for me, I like getting tips for my body shape. But the hair...? If I ever went on it, they couldn't colour it. No way, no how. Because colouring is something you have to maintain, and I'd be upset that I now have to spend money on this hairstyle you gave me. I'd also be mad if you gave me a hair cut that I would have to blow-dry into submission everytime I washed it. I need wash and go, people!

Clothes? Makeup advice? That's a one-time shot, NBD.

Although Carmindy's (?) advice of: "Wear full foundation plus concealer EVERYDAY plus all this eye makeup and lipwear" always seemed a little OTT to me. If you're used to running out the door with little to nothing, a full face of makeup everyday seems a bit much. If she was recommending special occasion makeup, I'd understand, but its always explained as everyday makeup. Unless she's offering to come over everyday to do my face for me...
So I'm starting to think I'm a Dryad.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
I can do foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and gloss in about 5 minutes. It just takes practice.  :)
The status is not quo!

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
I guess my idea is kind of understated then, Dr Horrible.

Tinted moisturizer, waterproof mascara and tinted lip balm is it lol

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Carmindy's book is even called "The Five Minute Face" http://www.amazon.com/5-Minute-Face-Quick-Makeup-Guide/dp/0061238260

Really, you have to maintain just a regular haircut or it starts to look bad after a while.

Regarding Lynn:
From what I understand, She signed a disclaimer saying that she would only do the show if they left her hair alone.

Really, the producers should have just called "Next!" at that point.

I can remember a handful of really bad guests.  There was also a 40 something women who wanted to compete with her 20 year old daughter for men, and Clinton explained that that was never really going to happen.  I believe she was unhappy with the whole experience as well.  Or the women who wanted to be better, "So my son (4) won't leave me like all the other men in my life."

Some of the women on that show seem like they really need therapy, and not just the retail kind

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
Carmindy's book is even called "The Five Minute Face" http://www.amazon.com/5-Minute-Face-Quick-Makeup-Guide/dp/0061238260

Really, you have to maintain just a regular haircut or it starts to look bad after a while.

Regarding Lynn:

Really, the producers should have just called "Next!" at that point.

I can remember a handful of really bad guests.  There was also a 40 something women who wanted to compete with her 20 year old daughter for men, and Clinton explained that that was never really going to happen.  I believe she was unhappy with the whole experience as well.  Or the women who wanted to be better, "So my son (4) won't leave me like all the other men in my life."

Some of the women on that show seem like they really need therapy, and not just the retail kind

I agree with you. With the type of show it is, she really shouldn't have even been on it. I don't know what the producers were thinking. [apart from conflict means ratings]

Dr. Horrible

• The secret to happiness is cream cheese icing.
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
Like I said, if you're used to a daily makeup routine, the makeup advice wouldn't faze you, right? It would just be new colour suggestions? But for me, I do nothing. I have face cream, but its not tinted. I don't put on mascara, lipstick, etc. So to have someone say "You should really take a few months [for me, I don't have a steady hand] to learn how to apply makeup in the morning. See how nice you'd look!" I'd go "Enh. I'll remember this colour combo for when I'm dressing up. But I'd rather do something else with my morning time."

Those of you with nice quick morning rituals, that is nice to see. I appreciate good makeup, even if I don't do it myself (please, more of you wear outrageous eye makeup! It brightens my day  ;) )

Its nice she has a book, if I ever decided to fitz around with early morning tools I'll look into it :)

My haircuts tend to be... low maintenance. I really dislike maintaining haircuts that will most likely be put up and out of my face, anyhoo.

I'm so lazy  ;D
So I'm starting to think I'm a Dryad.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

. . . I can remember a handful of really bad guests.  There was also a 40 something women who wanted to compete with her 20 year old daughter for men, and Clinton explained that that was never really going to happen.  I believe she was unhappy with the whole experience as well.  . . . [/quote]

Yes, she wept, literally, through much of the show.

(And I think she was in her 50s, not 40s, and expected to compete for men with her 30 year old daughter. Like a page out of Tennessee Williams, she was.)

Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

TulipWorthy

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
I remember Lynn who refused to cut her hair.  It was to bad she did not cut it because her long hair was not attractive for her face and it aged her so much.

Firecat

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
I have mixed feelings about WNTW (the US version). I feel like, most of the time, the advice is decent (although, short though I am, I will never wear pointy-toe shoes - I've never found a pair I thought was the least bit comfortable for my wide feet). And the women seem happy with the results.

And yet...I don't like the "ambush" tactics. And I do feel sometimes like Stacy and Clinton act like everyone should be spending lots of time paying attention to fashion trends and the like - and mostly, I just don't care that much. I just try to dress sensibly and comfortably for the occasion, personally (although I do wear makeup).

On SYTTD, I can sometimes understand the consultants' frustration. I remember one bride who was a professional cheerleader. The bride was interested in a classic dress, and her mother wanted her to be showing as much skin as possible. The poor girl was nearly in tears, right there in the salon. And the consultant was seriously annoyed with the mother and trying not to show it; I couldn't blame her at all for the comments made to the camera that the mother wasn't privy to. So again, mixed feelings.