Author Topic: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?  (Read 10206 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: What say you about the stars of makeover type shows -- rude?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
And I do feel sometimes like Stacy and Clinton act like everyone should be spending lots of time paying attention to fashion trends and the like - and mostly, I just don't care that much. I just try to dress sensibly and comfortably for the occasion, personally (although I do wear makeup).

Ultimately, people who are completely unaware of fashion trends are the most likely to wear clothing that looks dated.  It's really easy to get used to wearing a particular type of clothing that you see as "classic," and not realize that everyone around you sees it as trendy...from 10 years ago.  If you don't pay at least some attention to fashion trends, it's incredibly hard to know what's a trend and what's just a basic, classic wardrobe item.

WNTW really does focus most on those basic, classic wardrobe items, too.  Most of the participants end up with things like really great basic pants that will last for years, look flattering and fashionable for years, and thus justify their probably steeper-than-usual price tag.  Whether the person who owns the pants wants to pair them with trendy accessories/tops or more classic wardrobe pieces is up to them, but you won't ever be able to identify the non-trendy pants unless you know what trendy looks like.

immadz

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
From what I understand, She signed a disclaimer saying that she would only do the show if they left her hair alone.
And then on the forum she made daily comments on the real hard sell pressure they were putting on her to cut

I am not trying to make her out to be an angel here, I am just trying to point out this coin has 2 sides. I'm pointing out what little I know of her's.

I forget the reason she nominated herself, It had something to do with a third party involved. left to her own devices I do not believe she would have signed up.

As the end of the showpiece she intended to put her hair up into an elaborate updo, they wouldn't let her. if Nick couldn't do her hair, No hairstyles :(

Hmmmm, I thinks Ma soapbox just grew a yard Oppps, sorry All.  :-[

This is interesting. I have never seen this show but I do wonder what happens to contestants whose religion forbids them to cut their hair. ..

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
From what I understand, She signed a disclaimer saying that she would only do the show if they left her hair alone.
And then on the forum she made daily comments on the real hard sell pressure they were putting on her to cut

I am not trying to make her out to be an angel here, I am just trying to point out this coin has 2 sides. I'm pointing out what little I know of her's.

I forget the reason she nominated herself, It had something to do with a third party involved. left to her own devices I do not believe she would have signed up.

As the end of the showpiece she intended to put her hair up into an elaborate updo, they wouldn't let her. if Nick couldn't do her hair, No hairstyles :(

This is interesting. I have never seen this show but I do wonder what happens to contestants whose religion forbids them to cut their hair. ..

I doubt it has ever come up before.  Most people whose religion forbids them to cut their hair are not concerned about looking fashionable...

Firecat

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
And I do feel sometimes like Stacy and Clinton act like everyone should be spending lots of time paying attention to fashion trends and the like - and mostly, I just don't care that much. I just try to dress sensibly and comfortably for the occasion, personally (although I do wear makeup).

Ultimately, people who are completely unaware of fashion trends are the most likely to wear clothing that looks dated.  It's really easy to get used to wearing a particular type of clothing that you see as "classic," and not realize that everyone around you sees it as trendy...from 10 years ago.  If you don't pay at least some attention to fashion trends, it's incredibly hard to know what's a trend and what's just a basic, classic wardrobe item.

WNTW really does focus most on those basic, classic wardrobe items, too.  Most of the participants end up with things like really great basic pants that will last for years, look flattering and fashionable for years, and thus justify their probably steeper-than-usual price tag.  Whether the person who owns the pants wants to pair them with trendy accessories/tops or more classic wardrobe pieces is up to them, but you won't ever be able to identify the non-trendy pants unless you know what trendy looks like.

I didn't say I paid no attention, just not as much attention as they seem to think is necessary. Because I have ways to spend my mental and emotional energy that I perceive to be more interesting and more important to me - anyone else is, of course, entirely free to choose differently. And entirely free to perceive me as unfashionable if they wish  ;D.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »

I doubt it has ever come up before.  Most people whose religion forbids them to cut their hair are not concerned about looking fashionable...

I suspect that is something of an interesting assumption.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »

I agree Twik. My hair is long for religious reasons, Altho I trim often to keep it good and healthy. I am reasonably fashion conscious. [I also wear mascara and lippy,tinted moisturizer  it is allowed as long as it is plain, not over the top. Looks natural]. I don't hide my multiple earnings tho they are frowned upon.  :P.

I am who I am, to Myself be true.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

DuBois

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

I suspect the same thing, it seems an awfully broad statement.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »

Perhaps it was. Apologies to any offended.