Author Topic: A chain-E-mail - from a sick relative  (Read 6795 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
A chain-E-mail - from a sick relative
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
I'd normally delete those, but this one is from my mother's sister who has been sick for several years.

This is what she sent:

You're one of my 12...Shluchot -- A mystical Jewish formula for good
> mazel  (luck) and who of us can't use
> that!?
> Please do not break! Just 27 words.
>
> G'mar Chatima Tova!
> G-D our Father, walk through my house & take away all my worries
> & illness & please watch over & heal my family...Amen.
>
> This prayer is so powerful.
> Pass this to 12 people
> A blessing is coming to you of a new job, a house, marriage,
> good health, or financial comfort
>
> Do not break or ask questions.

The prayer may be powerful, and I could certainly use whatever blessings I get (there is no intent here to discuss religious specifics besides just getting this-the Jewish High Holy Days are approaching), but I truly don't feel comfortable getting these kinds of E-mails that are chain-mails wrapped up in medicals and religion.

I know it's irrational, but the whole thing makes me feel guilty at being annoyed.  Am I wrong to feel annoyed?
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

HyenaInPetticoats

Re: A chain-E-mail - from a sick relative
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »

No it's not wrong to feel annoyed, i think it is possible to somehow direct all "FW" emails as spam.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
Oh good grief.  Those are only slightly less annoying then those stupid if you don't repost you eat puppies for dessert and hate orphans facebook statuses.

You aren't wrong.  Just ignore it.  If she says anything I would bean dip it.

LEMon

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
My thought (and I mean it as a totally charitable one) was that if you were asked if you passed it on, you can say "yes".  By posting it here, I'm sure at least the right number of people will see it.  (Please, please, this is not meant as any encouragement for others to post chain letters.  I just got a kick out of this one.)

I really dislike chain letters especially those which have a personal need connection for the sender.  Then I can at least understand why the person sent it on - they want what it offers.  This one is worded a little more mildly than some in that it doesn't threaten you if you break it.  But in general, I have never met one that did more than make me smile as I deleted it.

Up until I read the 'send it on' portion, I saw it as a way to ask for prayers to help her.  Sent to close, same-beliefs friends and family, I could totally see it as a form of 'it would encourage me to know you are praying for me'.

But 'send it on' = delete and forget, in general for me.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
Is anyone else getting the "Grace prayer....thousands will pray for you" ad at the top of the page? :D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »
Is anyone else getting the "Grace prayer....thousands will pray for you" ad at the top of the page? :D

I got miracle prayer requests.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »
How would she ever know?

If she asks directly, just ask her how she is doing.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
How would she ever know?

If she asks directly, just ask her how she is doing.

I already know that she is sick and has no hope of getting better.  She wouldn't ever know that I have yet to do anything with her E-mail.  But I find it annoying all the same.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Lindee

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
I'm also very offended by the "Good Luck" emails that promise good luck, wealth etc if you send it to so many people by such and such a time but threaten that if you don't pass it on bad luck will happen to you.  Into the trash they go but I have to hold myself back from pointing out to the sender that I don't respond well to threatening emails.

kudeebee

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:16 AM »
I don't care for these emails, but I don't let them bother me. I simply delete them.

I suggest that you do the same thing.  If she asks if you got it, reply "yes, I did" and change the subject.

If you don't want to lie to her if she asks if you forwarded it on, forward it to yourself.  Then you can truthfully say you did forward it.

Cricket

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »
I wonder what deities and lady luck did before the internet. I know there were paper chain letters, but I only remember getting them in grade school and had no qualms about tossing them in the bin. Afterall, it would be my hard earned pocket money that would be shelling out for stamps to post the blasted things. They're only more prevalent now because they don't cost anything to send. I only send them on if they're funny or relevant, and I always delete the "pass it on" section. If it's not worth sending on, I just delete with a clear conscience.

Larrabee

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »

I've got Pizza Hut!  ;D

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:59:12 AM »

I've got Pizza Hut!  ;D

I have an ad for a granola bar with M&Ms in it!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »

I've got Pizza Hut!  ;D

I'd take pizza over prayer!   ;D

PeterM

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
I wonder what deities and lady luck did before the internet.

Same thing the scammers did, they worked for a living. Used to be you had to actually do some work and shell out some money to have your unwanted message reach even a few dozen people. Now you can reach literally billions for little or no cost to you. Almost makes me feel sorry for all the poor Nigerian millionaires who must've lost their fortune before the internet hit it big.

My mother used to get actual chain letters all the time. Mostly from the same few people, but not always. And it's unlikely she was on a list somewhere since these weren't that type of letter. Regardless, she always just threw them out and said she'd take one for the team and break the chain so no one else had to.