Author Topic: Help getting a cat adopted?  (Read 4510 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Help getting a cat adopted?
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
I met a wonderful cat at a rescue I was volunteering at. If I didn't have 8 of my own I would have snatched him up immediately and taken him home with me. So now I am trying to find him a home of his own - he is 10 years old so I would love for him to get a home rather then spend the rest of his life at the shelter. I am trying my best to get the word out about him - anyone have any recommendations for where I can post him? He is in Elmsford NY and his adoption fee is $50 but as a senior he is eligible for the senior foster program - which means that they pay for all his medical expenses as long as you have him. He is FIV+ so that makes it harder to find someone willing to take him in. He is very sweet and loving and loves to give kisses and be petted - a real sweetheart of a cat. I got him an article with the examiner but it didn't seem to get too many views so am looking for more places to advertise him:

http://www.examiner.com/animal-rescue-in-national/open-your-heart-and-home-to-a-furry-feline-friend

I am willing to take any suggestions to help get him a home! I figure if I can't have him then I will do anything I can to make sure someone else can.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Help getting a cat adopted?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
As a senior cat, and the fact that all his medical expenses will be covered, I think I would market him to human seniors.  So maybe put up postings in local seniors complexes?  Or if there are any local seniors groups or centres with websites?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyL

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
If he is uniformly gray except for the white spot on his chest, has faint tabby like striping on his tail, and green eyes he is almost definitely part Russian Blue. They are a very in demand breed so listing him as a Russian Blue mix will help. I have a Russian Blue boy of my own and Chipper sounds very similar temperament wise - mine gives kisses, is unusually patient and docile, and very loving. They are great cats! I would love to adopt him myself actually but our boy is still an attention hungry, demanding kitten and VERY spoiled, and I don't think he's ready to have a big brother cat just yet.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
If I lived in NY I'd take him for my mother.  He looks adorable.  Six years a of waiting.   :'(
I'll get there.  Eventually.

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
I talked to LadyL and she said that it looks like Chipper might be part Russian Blue. He is super mellow - I met him at a super adoption event with 30 - 40 shelters/rescues with cats trying to get them adopted. His place was right next to the "holding room" where you could take the cats out of the cages and see how they reacted to you. He wasn't bothered one bit - he would go into his little cubby when he got overwhelmed but if he thought you were coming to pet him he would run right out to rub against the bars. A little girl who was about 3 minutes from a meltdown held him. He was all happy since he got some loving and didn't care that she was agitated. Here are some pictures I took of him. I will look into the suggestions posted and please feel free to post more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33561674@N08/?saved=1

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
He's a very dignified looking fellow!  I looked at the rest of your pics.  I couldn't figure out why there were two pictures of what appeared to be your closet.  And then I found the cat.  Are they all fosters you've had?

So is Chipper as mellow as Frankie the farm cat that I met last night? 

One little boy had his arms straight out in front of him with Frankie draped over them with the arms just behind the front legs and just in front of the back legs.  It was hilarious!  When the kids first saw Frankie, they squealed and started running towards him.  Their father yelled, 'Wait!  Is he friendly?'  I laughed and told him if Frankie didn't run away when they charged him, he was most definitely friendly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »
I lost a cat a few years ago and while attempting to find him I found all these other cats that needed help! So some of those cats are ones I took in and kept and others are ones I took in and then found homes for. Kiana was pregnant when I took her in so that is where the pile o' kittens came from. The black cats and the black and white ones I kept. Kiana I kept because she is semi-feral so I can't really adopt her out and one of the kittens I kept. The rest I found good homes for and made them sign a contract saying they come back to me if they can't be cared for anymore - I don't want to risk them going into a shelter.

Chipper is very mellow. I have not seen him when someone was trying to run at him so don't know if that might scare him - but I can tell you when the little girl finally had her meltdown he didn't bat an eye - I think he just missed being in a lap when he had to go back into his cage! As soon as he realized that I was going to go an pet him he would rub against the bars of the cage and then if I tried to pull away he would reach out his little paw and pull me back and lick my hand. A real treasure! But after taking in all the outside cats I knew that I had reached my limit on what I can care for myself otherwise he would have been in my house that night.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »
He would be so perfect for an older person looking for a lap cat to shower with affection!  Even better, a knitter!  To give him some exercise, too.   :D

(I'd love to take him if I was in your area but my two girls might object!)
Ontario

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
I do know that the rescue adopted a dog to a couple from Vermont so I know they are willing to adopt to people out of the area - although you might not qualify as a foster in that case. So if you think you are close enough please feel free to advertise him out to anyone you think might be interested.

His case is on of the ones that gets me the most. People who drop of animals because they don't want them anymore make me thing they might just be better off at the shelter/rescue. But when the animal gets there because their human died or got ill (which is what happened to Chipper's mom) that just gets to me.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »
I'm in Canada so I don't think I could adopt him.   :D  But he'd be perfect for my Dad, too.
Ontario

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
Okay - yeah - Canada is probably further then they would want to go! It's the entire "crossing the border" thing! :-)

I admit that i posted here partially because I am hoping that someone here is close enough to think "he would be perfect" and go get him.

catgal

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:34:44 AM »
Wolfie, I am way way too far away to adopt Chipper, but thank you for posting about him.  As you say, someone here might have an empty lap to fill, or know someone who might.  I read the article and admit to shedding a few tears for the long wait he has endured, but Black Cat, Stripey Cat and I are sending him good vibes, purrs and prayers that he will be in his forever home very soon.  Thankyou for caring.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.