Author Topic: Madonna Disses a Gift Into a Live Mic  (Read 6327 times)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
Re: Madonna Disses a Gift Into a Live Mic
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
I am no fan of Madonna, but...

But she's a STAR! Therefore, her likes and dislikes should be part of the modern school curriculum. THere's just no excuse for not knowing how she feels about hydrangeas.
She may have given an interview of her likes and dislikes. For example, I am not even a fan but I do know that Naomi Campbell does not like to wear purple. In the unlikely event that I were to gift Naomi with an item of clothing, I would make sure it was not purple. While I don't find the expectation reasonable, I could see how Madonna would expect a self-identified fan to be familiar with her likes and dislikes.

Her fake British accent still makes me snicker
I have a habit of picking up other accents when I am surrounded by them en masse. It makes it easier to speak other languages with the proper enunciation, but it is a bear to avoid doing when I am in another English-speaking country. Frankly, if I were ever to move to another country, I don't think I would bother. However, as an American that lives in Ameerica, I want to sound like one when I am speaking English.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:56 AM »
That's pretty much what I'd expect from her, this is Madonna we're talking about after all. I never did like her, for all kinds of reasons. And yes her comments were very rude.

Ed.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
I am no fan of Madonna, but...

But she's a STAR! Therefore, her likes and dislikes should be part of the modern school curriculum. THere's just no excuse for not knowing how she feels about hydrangeas.
She may have given an interview of her likes and dislikes. For example, I am not even a fan but I do know that Naomi Campbell does not like to wear purple. In the unlikely event that I were to gift Naomi with an item of clothing, I would make sure it was not purple. While I don't find the expectation reasonable, I could see how Madonna would expect a self-identified fan to be familiar with her likes and dislikes.

Really? This surprises me. I've been a devoted fan of Harry Connick, Jr, since I was a teenager. I love his music and his movies. I don't know this kind of information about him.

Even if she did say she didn't like hydrangeas in an interview, are you saying that she's right to expect a fan to have read/seen every interview she's ever given? Because unless she says she loathes hydrangeas all the time, it's a bit unreasonable (and conceited) for her to think people know. I mean, heck, I'm in my 30s, and just this past Easter I found out that my mom hates lillies. I guess it hadn't come up before, but I was really surprised when my dad told me, and let me tell you, I'm a HUGE fan of my mom.

Her fake British accent still makes me snicker
I have a habit of picking up other accents when I am surrounded by them en masse. It makes it easier to speak other languages with the proper enunciation, but it is a bear to avoid doing when I am in another English-speaking country. Frankly, if I were ever to move to another country, I don't think I would bother. However, as an American that lives in Ameerica, I want to sound like one when I am speaking English.

I pick up accents too. It's a little embarrassing. However, Madonna's was an affectation that she started putting on before she even moved overseas.
The status is not quo!

Everlee

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
Rude.  No other way around it.  No matter how "big" you are, it's always rude to slam a present in front of the giver. 
I've got several celebrities that I am huge fans of, but I honestly don't really know much about them.  Their work is what I am most interested in, not their private lives.

Miss March

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
I saw the video clip, and I thought Madonna sounded deferential when she said "He obviously didn't know that," meaning "I certainly don't blame this fan for not knowing how I felt about this flower."

That's how her second remark came across to me.
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
I saw the video clip, and I thought Madonna sounded deferential when she said "He obviously didn't know that," meaning "I certainly don't blame this fan for not knowing how I felt about this flower."

That's how her second remark came across to me.

You are far more generous than I am. She has a record of dissing fans. I understand that fame has its drawbacks - fans wanting to talk to you all the time must get old - but there are more gracious ways to deal with it. This was not gracious.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »
Madonna is like school on Saturday.  No class.  #fatalbert

I read this a couple of times, trying to figure out what "fatal Bert" referred to  ::) Durrrrr.

djinnidjream

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
I was watching the Graham Norton show when he had Lady Gaga on and one of her fans was in the audience with some really creepy dolls that had some of her more famous outfits on them.  Gage probably loved them because she was weird- but you would never know- she was so gracious and even made the fan come down and give her a hug and kiss because she was so thankful.  That's how you treat a fan.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
Really dislike her spoof response video, since it ends with "IT'S A FREE COUNTRY, I'M ALLOWED TO NOT LIKE HYDRANGEAS"  ::)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
I was watching the Graham Norton show when he had Lady Gaga on and one of her fans was in the audience with some really creepy dolls that had some of her more famous outfits on them.  Gage probably loved them because she was weird- but you would never know- she was so gracious and even made the fan come down and give her a hug and kiss because she was so thankful.  That's how you treat a fan.

GaGa does seem to treat her fans really well. Yes, she can be quite offbeat, but I admire how she treats others.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

Just one more reason why I adore Lady Gaga!

No seriously, I was reading somewhere that Madonna wrote an email to some photographer while filming A League of Their Own.  According to IMDB this is what she said: "I cannot suffer any more than I have in the past month, learning how to play baseball with a bunch of girls (yuk) in Chicago (double yuk). I have a tan, I'm dirty all day, and I hardly ever wear make up. Penny Marshall, Lavern (sic), Geena Davis is a Barbie Doll, and when God decided where the beautiful men were going to live in the world, he did not choose Chicago. I have made a few friends but they are athletes, not actresses. They have nothing on the house of extravaganza. I wish I could come to N.Y."

It pretty much explains how the term Pre-Madonna came to be.   ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »

It just goes to show you can put on all the expensive clothes and sparkly jewelry you want; but money cannot buy class. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until i saw that "apology". What a crock.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
Really? This surprises me. I've been a devoted fan of Harry Connick, Jr, since I was a teenager. I love his music and his movies. I don't know this kind of information about him.

My brain retains the strangest things. I know tidbits about Prince because I am a die-hard fan. Other celebrities...for some reason some facts just stick in my brain

Even if she did say she didn't like hydrangeas in an interview, are you saying that she's right to expect a fan to have read/seen every interview she's ever given? Because unless she says she loathes hydrangeas all the time, it's a bit unreasonable (and conceited) for her to think people know.

No, I am saying this is the kind of delusional thing I would think she would expect from her fans.

I pick up accents too. It's a little embarrassing. However, Madonna's was an affectation that she started putting on before she even moved overseas.[/quote]

Interesting. That I did not know.

Captain Hastings

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:12 AM »
I'm just trying to understand how one comes to loathe a particular kind of flower. What about it inspires such hatred? The shape of the petals? The colors? The leaves? I mean I've got flower preferences like anyone else, but I can't imagine being disgruntled enough about a specific flower to even make an off-hand remark to somebody nearby. Maybe if I was horribly allergic to it.

Especially if I was Madonna, and could go buy a nursery and fill it with whatever the heck I wanted.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
I'm just trying to understand how one comes to loathe a particular kind of flower. What about it inspires such hatred? The shape of the petals? The colors? The leaves? I mean I've got flower preferences like anyone else, but I can't imagine being disgruntled enough about a specific flower to even make an off-hand remark to somebody nearby. Maybe if I was horribly allergic to it.

Especially if I was Madonna, and could go buy a nursery and fill it with whatever the heck I wanted.

Maybe it's the scent?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls