News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Farting in the car!-Wussy updates p 5 and 12  (Read 38384 times)

Miss Vertigo

Re: No Farting in the car!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
I probably would say nothing and stop giving him rides, he's an adult he can figure out how to get places on his own.

By wind power, presumably?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
I probably would say nothing and stop giving him rides, he's an adult he can figure out how to get places on his own.

By wind power, presumably?

*Snort*

I'm having a particularly gassy day myself - I wish I could harness it.  I'd save a ton of money on gas for my car.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!! If anyone had to turn the car around every time I had gas, we'd be driving in continuous circles!

I agree that Dad probably cannot control this, and makes a joke about it because he's embarrassed.

IMO, the MOST you should do is ask him to stop joking about it, and open a window.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

jaxsue

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!! If anyone had to turn the car around every time I had gas, we'd be driving in continuous circles!

I agree that Dad probably cannot control this, and makes a joke about it because he's embarrassed.

IMO, the MOST you should do is ask him to stop joking about it, and open a window.

Per the bolded: if I could have done this when dad passed gas in the car it would have made things so much easier. Joking about it? Ha! We would've gotten a lecture about respecting our elders and a spanking (not exaggerating). Even cracking the window for fresh air would have resulting in dad barking, "Shut the window!"

Yeah, my version of hell is a road trip with my parents.  :P

PinkWildRose

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

Per the bolded: if I could have done this when dad passed gas in the car it would have made things so much easier. Joking about it? Ha! We would've gotten a lecture about respecting our elders and a spanking (not exaggerating). Even cracking the window for fresh air would have resulting in dad barking, "Shut the window!"

Yeah, my version of hell is a road trip with my parents.  :P

Oh, Jax, that sounds horrible!  I've always considered it the height of rudeness, and perhaps a little bit of cruelty, to subject others to one's bodily odours and disallowing them the possibility of reprieve.

PinkWildRose

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
Daddy needs to grow up.  And Hubby needs to settle down.

A quiet conversation might fix a lot of this up.  Find out if the gas is an intentional joke (yes, some folks do that), or something beyond his control.  If he can't control it, then perhaps some Bean-O or cutting out onions and dairy for a few days?

I do think that Hubby insisting that he'll turn around if anyone passes gas is a little OTT.  Perhaps a plan to stop once an hour or so for a quick walk around the car to let loose any emissions?

Wavicle

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
I think it is incredibly rude to expect people to hold in involuntary bodily functions. It is not rude to pass gas, though reactions to it can be rude. It is reasonable to ask him to stop joking about it, but you cannot ask someone not to fart. That may stop some of the things he can control, like the volume and the timing, but it is unlikely he can stop all together.

ettiquit

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »
My family is very gassy and it amuses us to no end.  My DH is not at all gassy, but would never dream of trying to change my or my family's ways.  My SIL thinks those ridiculously loud type belches that my niece and nephew tend to emit (they crack me up) are gross, and they have rules about when it's appropriate.  She would never dream of saying anything to me or my parents though.

I suppose since it's DH's car, he has a right to ask FIL to refrain from passing gas, but it just seems like such a minor thing to get that worked up over.

I do think the request should come from DH, and not you.

johelenc1

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
I'd stop focusing on Dad and focus instead on the reactions by the 12 year old (and any other family members).  If the toots are unintentional, then it's incredibly rude to focus on them and make a big deal out of them.  If they are not, once the attention is withdrawn they will stop.

The next time Dad toots in the car and 12 year old starts to laugh, etc., I'd very firmly say, "Son, you know it is incredibly rude to comment on the bodily functions of other people, or even your own..  You need to apologize to your grandfather."  Then, if it's smelly, silently crack a window.

This does several things:  tells kid to knock it off, informs dad his "joking" is no longer appreciated, AND puts dad in his place if they have been intentional without saying anything to him directly. 

BTW, I hate tooting jokes. In my perfect world,  I personally think all toots should be staunchly ignored and not acknowledged in any way.  They just happen (at least to girls:-))  Unintentional burps should be acknowledged by the burpee with an "excuse me" which is answered with a polite nod of the head by others.  Intentional burps and those blasted burping contests that boys seem to like should be forbidden:-)

Peregrine

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Hmmm in my family unfortunately gas is an occaison for every kind of tasteless teenage joke there is.  My husband once let a particularly odiferous one rip (after some really garlicky greek food) and then hit the child proof window locks so I couldn't roll down the window.....He thought that was just hillarious   ;D  At least he can be appropriate when the occaision calls for it.

In your case, I think your hubby needs to get over it.  Even if Dad tried to be more discreet about it, there is no way to avoid it sometimes.  Children should be counseled to ignore it and not torment your hubby, and a quiet word to Dad before the trip to try to be a little more discreet about it.  Maybe in the name of setting a good example for your kids?

Twik

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
Even if he's doing it as a joke...I don't think you can make a rule about a sometimes involuntary thing.

I'm likely to make 12-year-old-style-jokes about gas.  Because it's much LESS embarrassing than the alternative...and gas isn't something that is just suddenly going to stop.
I don't think one can ever assume that 'voluntary' passing of gas for a joke is *really* voluntary.

I don't see why making jokes is less embarrassing than doing what etiquette requires, which is to avoid mentioning it if possible, and if not possible, ameliorating the situation with as little fanfare as possible. A series of inane jokes makes things just that much worse, not to mention makes the offender look like an immature jerk.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Sharnita

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
I think I would suggest driving in separate cars.  It is entirely possible that dad can't help his emissions but by the same token it is possible DH can't control his physical revulsion at the smell.

Carnation

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »
Get him some over the counter pills.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
I'd stop focusing on Dad and focus instead on the reactions by the 12 year old (and any other family members).  If the toots are unintentional, then it's incredibly rude to focus on them and make a big deal out of them.  If they are not, once the attention is withdrawn they will stop.

The next time Dad toots in the car and 12 year old starts to laugh, etc., I'd very firmly say, "Son, you know it is incredibly rude to comment on the bodily functions of other people, or even your own..  You need to apologize to your grandfather."  Then, if it's smelly, silently crack a window.

This does several things:  tells kid to knock it off, informs dad his "joking" is no longer appreciated, AND puts dad in his place if they have been intentional without saying anything to him directly. 

BTW, I hate tooting jokes. In my perfect world,  I personally think all toots should be staunchly ignored and not acknowledged in any way.  They just happen (at least to girls:-))  Unintentional burps should be acknowledged by the burpee with an "excuse me" which is answered with a polite nod of the head by others.  Intentional burps and those blasted burping contests that boys seem to like should be forbidden:-)

Thank you.  I have a couple of friends who are great people except that they think I'm a total prude for not being amused at this.  I consider it totally juvenile.

Had I been a prisoner in the odoriferous car I would have pulled out some Herban Essentials and said nothing.  The first time.  After the second time I think I'd want to go in another car.

blarg314

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
To be honest, your husband does come across as a special snowflake. Passing gas is not something that's completely under voluntary control, particularly over a period of hours, nor is specifying the odor level of what gas comes out.   Telling someone "We'll only take you with us if you promise not to fart during the trip. If you do, we're turning around immediately and going home." is pretty over the top. I don't see any way to phrase it without your DH coming across as a jerk, because that's pretty much what he's being.

However, I see nothing wrong with with telling your Dad in advance to knock off the fart jokes during the trip and being serious about that.  Then, if someone farts, you crack open the window for a bit and pretend it didn't happen. And maybe buy your husband some nose plugs if he's really that sensitive to the odor.