News:

• April 19, 2018, 07:50:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Farting in the car!-Wussy updates p 5 and 12  (Read 38308 times)

squeakers

Re: No Farting in the car!-Wussy updates p 5 and 12
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »

I think perhaps some posters are talking at cross-purposes, especially as there is some disagreement about whether farting is under conscious control or not.  Personally I think posters who say they have never heard someone fart at social events are mistaken - many farts are both silent and odourless/low odour.

IMO:
Asking someone not to laugh/make crude jokes about farting = not controlling.

Telling someone not to pass gas at all or you'll just cancel the trip for everyone = controlling.

Seems to me a silent low to no odor fart is akin to "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"  No one would complain about no sound and no one would complain about a slight whiff.  It's the pants ripping or sudden eye watering gag inducing ones that get attention.

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

O'Dell

« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
Wow...Zen Koan + farting etiquette = Sway's mind blown
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

MOM21SON

Re: No Farting in the car!-Wussy update p 5
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
maybe I'm like the other posters in that I'm uptight too, but farting is rude. Plain and simple.  I'd like to know what the involuntary farters do in situations like school and work.? ( just general you.. not anyone specific here)
 What about a one hour meeting with the boss, or sitting in a movie theater with strangers?  Weddings, funerals, church, the ballet, fine dining,  and the millions of other situations in life where it could be horribly embarrassing to them to emit any sort of noxious odor.  Dinner parties, job interviews, parent teacher conferences, the list just goes on and on of situations where I'm sure the people who feel the need to let it rip decide not to- if anything to avoid the social embarrassment. 

Not the ones with a true medical problem, IBS and such, I'm going to assume they excuse themselves quietly, or take some other measure to above social embarrassment ( medication? ) but for the rest that say it's an involuntary action is it really? or is it just something that feels good, and given the chance to do it, they do if they want.

In any event, if you are the type that cannot control it, then I think the most polite thing to do, is to remove yourself. Go outside, go to the bathroom or some such other area so you can emit and then return, because really, no one actually thinks it's hilarious to fart. ( except for teenage guys I guess). People may snicker along with you to help you save face in your humiliating time, and if it's your best friend or loving family they might tolerate it, but really I don't know anyone that enjoys the smell. Truly.

I'm also like other posters that I didn't know it was an involuntary action. Personally, to me,  holding a fart back is the same as holding back the need to go to the bathroom until you can find a restroom. It might not be the most comfortable sensation,but it's just part of bowel control . ( again barring a medical condition).

Sorry if this sounds mean, but if you do not have IBS, and you ( again, general you) are just a gassy person, you should know this about yourself. There are things you can take.. Tums and Gas ex and beano and I'm sure stuff I'm not aware of. Bottom line, it's rude not to control yourself around others if you are not suffering from a medical condition.

POD.  For 59 years I have never "let one slip" in public, I can control my bodily functions and I have never heard anyone else make this noise around me other than very young children or the very ill.

Yes, it may be "normal and natural" but so is pooping and I manage to control that just fine.  It's rude to not to control this around others if you don't have a serious medical issue.  Polite people just don't let it rip wherever and whenever because "it's natural".

Sweetie, can i swap bodies with you, pretty please.

Since my bowel surgery, my control is not what it used to be.

I do the absolute best i can to be gracious to the people around me, but, I still may have the odd slip up. So to speak.  My life sucks

I am only halfway through this thread, but this. this.this this! 

Balletmom

« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
If you know the other person can't really help their gastrointestinal issues, then you forbear.

If, on the other hand, you know they can, and it's a complete stink bomb,  then the only response is to roll down your window immediately, screech, "OH MAN! FRESH AIR PLEASE! CRUD MONKEYS!!"

The Balletfamily tries to make it clear to each member that if the air becomes noxious, we will all go into DefCon 1 response. It seems to be fairly effective.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
I distinctly remember one Hallowe'en.  Because we lived in the country, we were driven around for TOTing.  My brother and two friends were in the back seat.  I was in the front, with my Dad driving.  One of my brother's friends was dressed in military type fatigues that he'd gotten at an army surplus store, complete with gas mask.

My brother cut one in the back seat; his friend put on his gas mask!

So there's an option for the car - issue everyone a gas mask.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2011, 05:40:18 AM »
I would be absolutely delighted if someone could share the secret of choosing to just not pass gas.  How on earth is this possible?

Easy. I've been married for nearly 10 years. My DH has heard me fart a total of 2 times and they were a accident.
For some reason I can't do it around him, I keep it until I'm away from him.  :-\
I'm one of those people who can hold it in.

Ha, I gotcha beat. My DH has only heard me once in 20 years and I was asleep so it only sorta counts. LOL. I don't have to work very hard at holding it, either, guess that makes us lucky?!

I have a relative who is queen of the "silent but deadly" and I absolutely hate being stuck in a car or small room with her. I can understand that things happen sometimes, we're all human, etc. but there are some people who can clear a room and just don't care, don't even make an effort to get away from everyone else. I find that to be incredibly rude.

Just as there are people who can't really hold it in for more than a few seconds, sometimes you really don't get any warning. 

Have the non-farters on this thread never been surprised?  Never stood up suddenly, never coughed, never got into a particular yoga position and found themselves taken unawares?

I feel a little bit like I've discovered the magical internet connection to Victorian Britain, where polite ladies don't fart, burp, blow their noses, sweat or ever smell bad.

Burp? They're a whole other matter. I am the Queen of Burps.
 :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

ettiquit

« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2011, 06:38:56 AM »
I would be absolutely delighted if someone could share the secret of choosing to just not pass gas.  How on earth is this possible?

Easy. I've been married for nearly 10 years. My DH has heard me fart a total of 2 times and they were a accident.
For some reason I can't do it around him, I keep it until I'm away from him.  :-\
I'm one of those people who can hold it in.

Ha, I gotcha beat. My DH has only heard me once in 20 years and I was asleep so it only sorta counts. LOL. I don't have to work very hard at holding it, either, guess that makes us lucky?!

I have a relative who is queen of the "silent but deadly" and I absolutely hate being stuck in a car or small room with her. I can understand that things happen sometimes, we're all human, etc. but there are some people who can clear a room and just don't care, don't even make an effort to get away from everyone else. I find that to be incredibly rude.

Just as there are people who can't really hold it in for more than a few seconds, sometimes you really don't get any warning. 

Have the non-farters on this thread never been surprised?  Never stood up suddenly, never coughed, never got into a particular yoga position and found themselves taken unawares?

I feel a little bit like I've discovered the magical internet connection to Victorian Britain, where polite ladies don't fart, burp, blow their noses, sweat or ever smell bad.

Burp? They're a whole other matter. I am the Queen of Burps.
 :D

Can there be two queens?   ;D

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2011, 03:17:41 AM »

;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2011, 04:26:56 AM »
This dynamic reminds me a bit of that between my brother and my DH. They also sometimes disagree about such things and what is acceptable. Whenever they start again and complain to me or even ask me to pass a message on, I refuse. Is is their issue, not mine. If I agree with either of them, I may be willing to discuss it, but not in the name of any of them, but just for myself.

So the question is, do you agree with the rule? If no, discuss it with your DH. If nor you or him can be swayed, it is up to him to discuss it with your dad himself, or forget about it.