Author Topic: Men vs Womens Restroom  (Read 2481 times)

icfrugal2

Men vs Womens Restroom
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
So we have 4 women and 12 men in the company using the restrooms.

There is one women's restroom and one men's restroom. Each has one stall and the men's has a urinal. (so I have been told)  :-X

The women's restroom has a lock on the outer door and the men's does not.

The men use the women's, because of privacy. The women, me  :P, get upset about this so I asked the owner of the building, one of the bosses of the business to put a lock on the outer men's door. He refuses, his logic is that at restaurants etc men see other men.  ???   

What do you think? I do think that the men should not be in the women's restroom and I can not believe that the owner is that cheap, how much could a lock cost??? It would just be a matter of changing the door knob.
Good grief !!!

IC
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:40:44 PM by icfrugal2 »

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: Men vs Womens Restroom
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:44:29 PM »
There is no excuse for the men to be using the women's room. 

They have twice the "facilities" that the women do, as it is. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
Who's in charge of the key for the women's (assuming I'm reading this correctly and you need a key to get in) and why are they giving it to men?

Speak to the boss/owner/landlord - it's a safety/security  issue and unacceptable.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
OK, at one of my old workplaces, we had a "men's room" and a "women's room" but they were both single-seaters and we did pretty much use whichever one was available.  :-[ Somebody camping out in the women's, we'd use the men's, and vice versa.

That said, both of the rooms locked. I think there needs to be a lock on the stalls if it's a multi-stall, or on the room itself if it's a one-seater like yours. Yes, men see other men at the urinal in a big public restroom, but (a) sometimes they are going #2 instead and will use a (locked) stall, and (b) if a particular man prefers privacy, he can always go #1 in a locked stall instead of at the urinal. The boss is being unreasonable.

That also said, at my old workplace, if anyone had been troubled by the unisex-ization of the restrooms, we'd have stopped. It was just a convenience because it happened that nobody actually cared.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
If there is a stall with a door inside the restroom, isn't the lock on the outer door of the women's restroom kind of redundant?  It seems to me that the men's restroom would need the lock more, as the urinal is probably not inside the stall with the door.  The facilities people at your office have it backwards.  That said, it makes no sense for the men to use the women's restroom for privacy.  If both stalls have doors, that's usually all the privacy restrooms have.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
If there is a stall with a door inside the restroom, isn't the lock on the outer door of the women's restroom kind of redundant?  It seems to me that the men's restroom would need the lock more, as the urinal is probably not inside the stall with the door.  The facilities people at your office have it backwards.  That said, it makes no sense for the men to use the women's restroom for privacy.  If both stalls have doors, that's usually all the privacy restrooms have.

Oh, there are lockable stalls inside the room? I misinterpreted. I was thinking "open the door, there's the john." If there is a lockable stall, even inside an unlockable room, the accommodations are adequate and the men need to quit using the women's room for privacy. If they want privacy they can use the stall. You're right, that's exactly how most restrooms are.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

I agree.  I don't see why the men's room should need a lock if the stall door has a lock.  But it wouldn't bother me that the men were using the women's bathroom.  A bathroom is a bathroom.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

lolane

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
At my workplace there is a women's and men's restroom. Both have the exact same equipment inside. No stalls, just a room with one toilet and one sink and a door on the outside. People use whichever bathroom is available. In fact, while they are labeled separately, only the men's restroom is fully ADA compliant, so I'm not sure that anyone could even demand that the restrooms be single sex.

So basically, if only one person can use the bathroom at one time, I don't see the big deal in the men using the women's restroom. In fact, I don't blame them at all given that their only other choice is to use a restroom where the bathroom door won't lock. I would have a different opinion if there were multiple stalls, but in this case, I think it's okay.

Edited: I didn't realize that there is a lockable stall inside the men's restroom too? If that's the case, then they should probably use their own bathroom, but again, them using the women's wouldn't bother me personally.

SiderisAnon

• Fuzzy Blue Cynic.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »
So we have 4 women and 12 men in the company using the restrooms.

Considering the ratio of men to women at your company, I think it's time to just make both bathrooms unisex and call it good.  (The current men's room would need a lock on the door too, of course, for typical privacy reasons.) 

Yes, the current men's room does have a urinal, but that does not automatically double the capacity of the bathroom.  Not everything can be done there and, quite frankly, not all men are willing or able to use a urinal.

Assuming your landlord isn't willing to add the lock and make this change, I really do not see a problem in the men using the women's bathroom if the men's room is occupied.  It's a matter of efficiency.  Since only one person can be in there at a time, there's no personal space violation. 

If the women simply cannot stand the idea of "icky boys" >:D  being in their bathroom, considering the ratio of men to women at the company, maybe you four could take up a collection to buy a lock for the men's room door.  You can get a simple slide latch at Home Depot for less than $10.  It may require a drill to install, depending on the material that the door and its frame are made up of.  Fifty cents per employee should about cover it... assuming you can't get your boss to pay for it from petty cash.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art and science.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, his eyes are closed."  Einstein, 1930

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Where I work, we have 2 employee bathrooms, one labelled Male and the other Female.  However, about 90% of the offices have all female employees.  Even in offices that have a male employee, they have devolved into defacto unisex bathrooms.

Wouldn't it just be easier to label them as unisex, and be done with it?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
QueenofAllThings wrote:

"Speak to the boss/owner/landlord - it's a safety/security  issue and unacceptable."

How, exactly?  The women's room is a single seat with a lockable door.  It's not like there will ever be more than one person in there at once, so I fail to see any safety issue.

There are two problems here.  First is that you have a huge imbalance in the gender of your staff, so having a single head for each seems very inefficient.  The second is that the boss won't put a lock on the door.  The best suggestion I can come up with is to make both rooms unisex and put a lock on the other room's door.

Virg

Betelnut

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
I agree with PP--unisex bathrooms with a lock on the door is the way to go.  I find it incredibly irritating when places have single room bathrooms with locks on the doors and still insist on making one a male bathroom and one a female bathroom!  Let freedom ring!  Let the bathrooms be used by both sexes.

As for the OP's question--no that wouldn't bother me at all (men in "women's" room) since there is a lock.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
The restrooms should all be made unisex, with locks. My only caveat is that if you're a male using the unisex restroom, put the seat down, for heaven's sake.

I would also point that while the numbers may be in out of balance, women generally go the restroom more often because of That Time. There is a reason there is usually a line at the women's restrooms in public facilities--and never at the men's.