Author Topic: Please come to our party but there are some rules...  (Read 6155 times)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Please come to our party but there are some rules...
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »
This is one of the threads I'd like an update on. Did they go? How did it turn out? Are they making different arrangements for the party next year?

This is also one of a few threads lately where a hostess has sent out invitations, and then decided that there should be all these rules/policies afterwards.

Get it together partygivers!! Had this woman said the pool party was for team members only and made the rules clear on the original invite, we probably wouldn't even have a thread about it.  8)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
I have no problem with people having alcohol-free parties, and I also have no problem with people having outdoor parties. We have several parties that are intended to be outdoors-only.

About rule #2, however. If the families of the team members are being invited, it is horribly ungracious and mean to disallow the siblings to use the pool also. If the hostess doesn't want family members using the pool, then family members shouldn't be invited. Have the party for the team members only.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »
With regard to "no one is allowed into the house" rule:  I hope no one needs to use the bathroom, and I REALLY hope it doesn't rain!

When we have outdoor parties, we do, of course, allow guests to use the bathroom. It's just that the party is outside, and I'd like it to stay that way (we can host much bigger parties outside than we can in, though we've had a few large parties indoors also).

Mikayla

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 12:07:55 AM »
Instead of saying siblings will not be allowed to swim, the hostess should have said that the party is meant to celebrate the achievement of the players, and to please not bring siblings. I can't imagine inviting other kids to the party (which is basically what she did) and then forbidding them to swim.

I knew if I kept reading long enough someone would say what I'm thinking.

It doesn't matter if the pool is too small or it's a safety issue - you can't include siblings on the invite and then not let them swim!   She can let the guests swim in shifts or something, but I can't imagine kids being too happy sitting around watching others swim.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 01:14:52 PM »
I guess the question is this: Did the hostess invite the siblings in the first place and then 'uninvite' them?  The OP is the only one that can answer this. 

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
I just wanted to chime in on Rule #1.

Due to a house fire, we lived in a hotel from November to January in northern MN.  It was hockey season.  Every Friday afternoon, we met parents in the elevator with a hockey bag and a cooler full of alcohol.  All Friday night, the kids ran around the hotel unsupervised while the parents were 'partying'. My daughter was 5 at the time and would ask me where these boys' parents were and why nobody was with them.
I don't blame her one bit. It was ridiculous and kudos to her for stopping it before it could start.

Craftymom

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:33 PM »
Alcohol does seem to be a big thing around here (MN). :(

kittencanoedle

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
If this is a pool party, I do not think it is rude at all to request that it be outside and to bring lawn chairs.  Most people don't have enough outdoor chairs for a big party, and that request is pretty typical in my neck of the woods.  I know some people say that hosts should not be upset if people end up inside when the party is outside, but I see no big deal with keeping everyone outdoors unless they need a restroom.  If the weather cooperates, there is no real reason (other than a health need) to be indoors, and in that case I might exuse myself because sitting in the house away from others isn't the point of the party (barring emergencies, of course).

The pool thing is a little odd, but I can totally see the point.  My inlaws have a pool and I've seen how quickly things can get out of hand if there are too many kids.  Since this is a team party, I can see why the host would want to make sure those kids enjoy the pool.

In this case, I would have just invited the softball team.  The host is going to have some upset siblings on his or her hands.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
My daughter played softball last season, and our team's end-of-year party was for the families, with siblings included.  I appreciated that, not because I feel both children have to always get to do the same things, but because logistically our weekends can be crazy, and it makes things more difficult when there's something only one child can be at.

Single parents, divorced parents who have the children every other weekend:  these people have more difficulty handling an event where only one child may be present.

Leaving kids with grandparents is not feasible for everyone.  My children have no grandparents living within the same time zone.  Babysitting can be expensive and hard to arrange. 

Having said all that, I think it's completely polite to invite only the team members.  (It may cause difficulties for some families, but that doesn't mean it's rude0.   But if you invite the team members and their families, it's rude to say the siblings can't go in the pool.  It's the height of rudeness to have tiers of guests with different levels of amenities.  I think this woman should not have offered to host the party because it seems outside her comfort zone. 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

wendybird

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
i was under the impression you couldnt send *uninvitations* when having a party (like, no kids, etc.)

perhaps rule #2 was her way of saying siblings arent invited.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 12:17:11 PM »
Money:  Actually, this bothered me more than the other rules.  Are the "leftover" funds normally left for the end-of-the-year party? If it's something she decided to do "just because," that's not cool. 

Same here.  Did she appropriate these funds to have a party in her home of a particular type....or was there an agreement to have a particular type of party and the 'hostess' offered her home/pool?  My guess is there isn't an agreement -- if there had been, the OP would have been in on this before getting the invitation.

A lot of team sports involve the whole family.  Parents have been coaching, driving, funding, etc. Siblings have been schlepped to games, sitting on the bench and cheering on the team.  I think a family party is a good idea after a season of team sports.  I know the logistics with a pool are complicated when having too many youngsters, so it might have been better to "take the money" and rent a public pool that could accomodate all of the families.