Author Topic: Schenanigans?  (Read 27493 times)

Erich L-ster

Schenanigans?
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »
Sometimes it is glaringly apparent that a post or story is a creative writing exercise rather than a true happening. I understand that calling it out is frowned upon and I will not do that but I'm curious: are fake stories that are represented as true no big deal or is that something that is unwanted too?

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: Schenanigans?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:16:04 AM »
In conjunction with a body of "creative writing" posts I think it adds up to a troll.  As per E-hell dames post the other day, the only thing we can do is ignore or ask pertinent questions.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:59 AM »
Ah ok. I thought asking pertinent questions would be seen as being mean. There was another thread about not bringing  in stuff from other threads but when there are inconsistencies and contradictions it would be nice to be allowed to ask for clarification.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of the 'give 'em enough rope' approach, personally.

So yes, pertinent questions.

Gabrielle

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:11:21 AM »

I've recently noticed  :)

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »
I think the bringing up other stuff refers more to dredging up old arguments or bringing up someone's opinion from three years ago than asking for clarification on inconsistencies.

For example, if someone tells the board they live in a small shed in Alaska one week and next week they occupy a seven bedroom house in India, I am sure you are more than allowed to ask how this happened.

I do not think anyone should use this board for creative writing exercise. People come here with real problems looking for help and support and I personally feel it's rather mean to make up stories, especially ones that tap into people's emotions.

Enough rope is a good approach. If you are sure someone is telling porky pies, report to moderators.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:16:02 AM by Perfect Circle »
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
porky pies

I usually hate twee terms, but this is the best term for a lie I have ever heard!  ;D It's just so cute!
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
porky pies

I usually hate twee terms, but this is the best term for a lie I have ever heard!  ;D It's just so cute!

It's cockney rhyming slang

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/pork_pies

Ligeia

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »

I like this approach, too.  In fact, I prefer it to the big showdown with someone calling shenanigans, and then the thread getting locked or deleted.  If there's no hard proof, just a hunch, it's much more entertaining to ask questions and see how they're answered, particularly if everyone else seems in on it.  And, of course, it's more fair--if there's no hard proof, there's not much anyone, including the moderators, can do about it, and it allows a tiny benefit of the doubt.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
Sometimes it is glaringly apparent that a post or story is a creative writing exercise rather than a true happening. I understand that calling it out is frowned upon and I will not do that but I'm curious: are fake stories that are represented as true no big deal or is that something that is unwanted too?

How do you know a story is "glaringly apparent" that it is fiction?  I've published some extraordinarily outrageous stories in prior books that would leave the reader questioning the storytellers' credibility but I have signed documents verifying the authenticity of the events.  Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.  The thread you are obliquely referring to in this thread doesn't come close to fantastically unbelievable when compared to real life stories that are far more bizarre.

And what if it was fiction?  Can you not extract the etiquette (or lack thereof)  of the tale as  a learning experience?

A handful of members were placed on 14 day gag for their behavior in that thread and several others *just* barely missed moderation.   Several of the newly gagged already had a record of prior gags for similar behavior which means that following someone else's lead in a thread can be a very bad idea as they may be a troublemaker with a history on this forum or a troll trying to get as many people in trouble as possible (they know they are going bye-bye and they'll try to take as many with them as they can). 

strangetimes

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »

How do you know a story is "glaringly apparent" that it is fiction?  I've published some extraordinarily outrageous stories in prior books that would leave the reader questioning the storytellers' credibility but I have signed documents verifying the authenticity of the events.  Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.  The thread you are obliquely referring to in this thread doesn't come close to fantastically unbelievable when compared to real life stories that are far more bizarre.

And what if it was fiction?  Can you not extract the etiquette (or lack thereof)  of the tale as  a learning experience?

A handful of members were placed on 14 day gag for their behavior in that thread and several others *just* barely missed moderation.   Several of the newly gagged already had a record of prior gags for similar behavior which means that following someone else's lead in a thread can be a very bad idea as they may be a troublemaker with a history on this forum or a troll trying to get as many people in trouble as possible (they know they are going bye-bye and they'll try to take as many with them as they can).

Is there a way for us to hear about that? Like maybe a moderator stepping into a thread and giving a warning?

I was going through that thread and feeling like it was sounding a little "mean girls" to me, but had you not said this, I wouldn't have known that people were being moderated and even put on hiatus for that.

I've often considered asking posters about situations from my own life, but I hesitate to do that, because I'm afraid of precisely these types of reactions. (I lurked here for a long time before registering, so this isn't just a recent thought)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »

Really?  Fictional stories/tales of outlandish behavior are okay as long as they teach a lesson?

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Really?  Fictional stories/tales of outlandish behavior are okay as long as they teach a lesson?

I don't mind fictional tales as long as they are marked as such.  "Let's say that X crazy thing happened.  What would you have done?" I'll happily play in that thread.  I just don't like when hypothetical stories are told as truth - there's a different element of buy-in.  Maybe that's why posters sometimes pretend their stories are real, for fear that no one will respond if it's been made clear that the post didn't really happen, or that we're not capable of answering the etiquette question if we know the situation is hypothetical.  Which is ridiculous, of course.

What I don't appreciate is folk using this board as their creative writing outlet.  I can understand the temptation - I write, and I'd love to bounce ideas off an audience to see if my plots ring true - but I'd never, ever do that.  It's contrary to the spirit and mission of this board, and it's manipulative besides.  I respect y'all too much to do that.  Others' mileage evidently varies. 

(And I have no patience at all with trolls who use eHell as their own emotional playground.  That's just heinous.)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »

I don't mind fictional tales as long as they are marked as such.  "Let's say that X crazy thing happened.  What would you have done?" I'll happily play in that thread.  I just don't like when hypothetical stories are told as truth - there's a different element of buy-in.  Maybe that's why posters sometimes pretend their stories are real, for fear that no one will respond if it's been made clear that the post didn't really happen, or that we're not capable of answering the etiquette question if we know the situation is hypothetical.  Which is ridiculous, of course.

What I don't appreciate is folk using this board as their creative writing outlet.  I can understand the temptation - I write, and I'd love to bounce ideas off an audience to see if my plots ring true - but I'd never, ever do that.  It's contrary to the spirit and mission of this board, and it's manipulative besides.  I respect y'all too much to do that.  Others' mileage evidently varies. 

(And I have no patience at all with trolls who use eHell as their own emotional playground.  That's just heinous.)

I wouldn't mind hypotheticals either.  But it seems to me that the way the majority of these thread go, the OP posts an outlandishlish story in which Rude Bob is very rude indeed, and the majority of the responses consist of "What a jerk!" and "Poor you, OP."  They hardly prompt a debate about the etiquette of the situation (because there usually isn't one - just a person acting outlandishly), or teach any kind of lesson that I can see.