Author Topic: Schenanigans?  (Read 27829 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Schenanigans?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
Which is why, in that post, I asked for clarification a few times. Shoving someone is always rude. Walking past them, possibly even brushing them, is not. I am still not sure what being pregnant has to do with the issue, unless it's that one should pay special attention to one's surroundings in case a neighboring human happens to be expecting.

Hollanda was definitely talking about physical contact.

You (general) should be careful of heavily pregnant woman for the reason I explained, they are balanced differently and it is easier for them to fall.  In the same way, you (general) should also keep an eye out for frail people (likely to fall and get badly hurt) and children (don't always look where they are going and fall over easily).

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
It might be a US/UK thing. I didn't get that "barging past" = "shoving." (I still don't, but I am willing to admit when literalism causes a problem and retire on those grounds.)
Words mean things.

Larrabee

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
It might be a US/UK thing. I didn't get that "barging past" = "shoving." (I still don't, but I am willing to admit when literalism causes a problem and retire on those grounds.)

What do you think it means then?  I don't understand why you aren't willing to accept the clarification you asked for.  What you're talking about is called 'walking past'.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
We seem to be going around in circles.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Once it was explained to me, I got it fine. That's why I asked so many times.
Words mean things.

sugar pie

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

It feels more like a mobius strip.  ;D

*crickets chirping*

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »

What do you think it means then?  I don't understand why you aren't willing to accept the clarification you asked for.  What you're talking about is called 'walking past'.

I'd never heard the term barging past before - without the clarification I'd have assumed it meant walking past *quickly* and *purposefully* but not with any physical contact.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »

It feels more like a mobius strip.  ;D

*crickets chirping*

Welcome, my friends, to the show that never ends!
NYC

Larrabee

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »

I'd never heard the term barging past before - without the clarification I'd have assumed it meant walking past *quickly* and *purposefully* but not with any physical contact.

I understand that, I just didn't get why even after the clarification Juana said she still didn't 'get that barging past = shoving'. 

Other posters are right though, this could get really dull so I'll just leave it there!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
I had a big post written out on the pregnancy issue, but I think we're really sidetracking Erich's thread. I'll start a spin-off. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
Once it was explicitly stated, I got it. (That's why I asked so many times. I was looking for explicitness.)
Words mean things.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
Getting back to shenanigans-I have to admit that while it bothers me that there are emotional bloodsuckers who would post false stories for sympathy in this forum, I'm not wild about posters calling shenanigans on someone.  Asking questions is one thing, but I'd rather let the moderators be the ones to identify trolls.

When forum posters do it, it can get really nasty and there can be a lot of back-and-forth defensiveness.
NYC

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
So it often looks like this:

OP: I was passing by the lost and found at my work on my way home, and saw what looked like my coworker's sweater sitting there. I wasn't sure if it was hers so I didn't claim it, and by the time I told her about it the next day the lost and found was closed for a few days. Was I rude?

Posts  1-3: Not rude
Post 4: Wow, I would feel really awful if I couldn't get my sweater back all week because a coworker couldn't take five minutes to bring me it or at least tell me they saw it. Whatever happened to looking out for each other? OP, I think you were very rude.
Posts 4-15: POD
Post 16: Hey wait a minute, the OP said she wasn't even sure if it was this person's sweater - so if she claimed it it could be stealing from the actual owner. And she was on her way home, we don't even know if her coworker was still around in the office. I don't think she was rude at all.
Posts 17-?? POD

Just wanted to say I thought this was accurate. Not always in terms of dogpiling (i.e., strong condemnation of the OP), but just the opinions on a thread in general. Personally I think it's really interesting to see how opinion sways back and forth due to someone posting a strong new opinion/observation. The "waiting in the wrong line" thread in Life... in general is a good recent example, I think.
~Lynn2000

PeterM

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
I realize that outlandish things happen to people, but it starts to feel a little out of the realm of reality when it seems like repeatedly outlandish things happen to the same person due to far-reaching coincidences.

A repeated saga like Marina's neighbor made sense. She lived next door. Of course run ins would happen more than once.

Not picking on or implying anything about Marina specifically, but a situation like that could just be a liar who came up with a backstory that holds together well. The obscene snow-woman/racist bagel stories turned out to be fake, if I recall correctly. Those were about a crazy neighbor, too, which definitely helped make them seem more realistic than if each story had been told as a separate incident involving multiple different people.

For the record, I don't think any of the recurring characters on this board are made up. I heartily wish some of them were, but that's another matter. But the fact that a number of outrageous stories star the same person doesn't really make them more believable. Another possibility is that the troll behind them is just more prolific and better at the job than others.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »
I have to say that recent responses to posts I have made - and responses to other posts - have left me very wary of starting new threads on this board.   I am making it clear now that I felt quite intimidated with the "barging past" comments made by individuals, and I believe, looking back at my posts, that I made myself clear enough when asked for clarification the first time.  If people have an issue with me, fine, PM me if you need more information and I will happily clarify on the board. Constantly and publicly questioning anyone on the same issue is not helpful. 

I think we have clarified the issue of shenanigans on this board, things seem to be going round in circles now.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.