Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 89678 times)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2011, 07:00:54 AM »
Another house I lived in as a kid had a window over the kitchen sink that looked into the family room.  The family room had been added after the house was built and they didn't bother to remove that window.

That set up is very common around here in houses with new rooms attached to kitchens.  They remove the window panes themselves leaving the frame and put a small ledge over the lower edge of the frame.  It promptly becomes relabeled a "pass through" (a way to move food or beverages from the kitchen to the family room or dirty dishes back into the kitchen without leaving the room you're in) and it is considered a selling point!  LOL!

We have one, and it was really planned that way in the 70s when the house was build.
AND, it was one of the things that sold me on the house. I love, love, love it.
Mine can be closed, though.
It's not only practical for passing dishes, it's great for playing with puppets!

Gyburc

« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:49 AM »
This is slightly OT, but the house I grew up in has been on the market for a while now: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32901410.html

It's been done up a lot since I was there, but slide 8 is what used to be my room. It's an attic room, and was presumably used by the servants, since I remember there used to be push-button servants' bells in the hall when I was very little. The house dates to somewhere around 1900.

The weird thing about the house is that I'm fairly certain the attic stairs, and possibly the attic too, are haunted. I used to get a really strange feeling at the bottom of the stairs, as if I was being followed. I suppose some of this can be put down to imagination, but Mum used to swear that she saw something there once. And DH - one of the least credulous people I've ever met - was woken up in the middle of the night when he was staying in the other attic room and was convinced someone was there.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
This is slightly OT, but the house I grew up in has been on the market for a while now: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32901410.html

It's been done up a lot since I was there, but slide 8 is what used to be my room. It's an attic room, and was presumably used by the servants, since I remember there used to be push-button servants' bells in the hall when I was very little. The house dates to somewhere around 1900.

The weird thing about the house is that I'm fairly certain the attic stairs, and possibly the attic too, are haunted. I used to get a really strange feeling at the bottom of the stairs, as if I was being followed. I suppose some of this can be put down to imagination, but Mum used to swear that she saw something there once. And DH - one of the least credulous people I've ever met - was woken up in the middle of the night when he was staying in the other attic room and was convinced someone was there.

Awesome story. You should post it on the ghost story thread on the coffee break forum (the threads several thousand posts long!).

Edited to add: just looked at the pics. Love this house! I saw a lot like this in N. Ireland and fell in love with this arch style.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:23:25 AM by jaxsue »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

That's an amazing house!  I would love that place!  It seems to have a lot of fireplaces -- another thing about it that is so awesome!  It must have been sad to move out of there!

magicdomino

« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
[We have one, and it was really planned that way in the 70s when the house was build.
It's not only practical for passing dishes, it's great for playing with puppets!

My 1950's era house had a pass-though before I remodeled it out of existance.  It was never used as a pass-through because the sill was only 4 inches wide, and there was a bench and table on the kitchen side.  It was easier to just carry dishes a couple of more steps into the dining room.  But, as you said, it made a great puppet theater.   :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
I looked at a house a few years ago, that had been vandalized and had graffiti all over one of the lounge room walls (the real estate agent called it a "feature wall" - I think he was joking). 

Anyway we walked into the lounge which also had a large fire place and this odd man just sort of slithered out of the fireplace and joined us while we were talking to the real-estate agent.  None of us had noticed him and I still don't know where he came from.  He just greeted us and sat down with a bottle of scotch.  I don't know if he came with the house or not.

Another one was a house my friend lived in.  In the corner of his bedroom was a painting, about 1m or 3ft high, there was a hole behind the painting with a ladder in it that led down to the combined bathroom/kitchen.

That sounds like an episode of Ghost Whisperer. Or one of those urban legends that should end with "and then we passed a portrait that looked just like him, but he was nowhere to be seen  :o "

At least the ghost brought his own booze.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
I looked at a house a few years ago, that had been vandalized and had graffiti all over one of the lounge room walls (the real estate agent called it a "feature wall" - I think he was joking). 

Anyway we walked into the lounge which also had a large fire place and this odd man just sort of slithered out of the fireplace and joined us while we were talking to the real-estate agent.  None of us had noticed him and I still don't know where he came from.  He just greeted us and sat down with a bottle of scotch.  I don't know if he came with the house or not.

Another one was a house my friend lived in.  In the corner of his bedroom was a painting, about 1m or 3ft high, there was a hole behind the painting with a ladder in it that led down to the combined bathroom/kitchen.

That sounds like an episode of Ghost Whisperer. Or one of those urban legends that should end with "and then we passed a portrait that looked just like him, but he was nowhere to be seen  :o "

At least the ghost brought his own booze.

*snort*
The status is not quo!

lilfox

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »
One house I saw had a large living room with fake dark wood paneling halfway up the wall (below the chair rail) and dark wood flooring.  It looked exactly like a small roller rink.

Another house I saw... to me this was just an architectural tragedy. This was a large house built in the 1980s, just shy of McMansion size but with a great large yard and a fabulous lake view, and a short sale so a serious bargain.  We thought hard about buying it but ended up not because it would have cost quite a bit in deep cleaning and remodeling before it would be comfortable to us.  Deep cleaning because yikes!  It was filthy.  Remodeling because the floor plan, esp upstairs, was just terrible.  The master bedroom features were split between two rooms separated by a hallway.  One room had two large closets but no en suite bath, the other had this HUGE bath (lots of wasted space) and no closets.  The hallway main bath was triangular; you entered at a narrow part and it widened on a slant to the tub at the far end.

And downstairs, there was a long skinny half bath and across the hall from that, a long skinny laundry room.  If you walked to the back of the laundry room, you found a full shower stall.  I couldn't figure out why the architect didn't just put all the bathroom stuff in one room and the laundry stuff in the another, since the rooms were about the same size and obviously plumbed.

JoW

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
Another house I lived in as a kid had a window over the kitchen sink that looked into the family room.  The family room had been added after the house was built and they didn't bother to remove that window.

That set up is very common around here in houses with new rooms attached to kitchens.  They remove the window panes themselves leaving the frame and put a small ledge over the lower edge of the frame.  It promptly becomes relabeled a "pass through" (a way to move food or beverages from the kitchen to the family room or dirty dishes back into the kitchen without leaving the room you're in) and it is considered a selling point!  LOL!

We have one, and it was really planned that way in the 70s when the house was build.
Ours was not at all practical.  The kitchen side was above the sink.  The family room was about 3 steps lower than the rest of the house so the window on that side was close to the height of dad's shoulders.   

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
Then there was the family room.  Which was actually the attached garage, except they had put cheap carpeting down over the cement floor, and outfitted it with a wood-burning stove and a sofa (and maybe a chair or two, I don't remember).  But it still had the garage door at one end, plus it was about a 4 or 5 steps down from the rest of the house.

Oh that reminds me of one house I actually liked except we didn't care for the neighborhood.  This house had the original garage changed into a family room.  However, there was also an open three shower bathroom like you might find at a gymnasium in the back of the room.  The shower area was tiled in bright yellow and there were three faucets, one on each of the three walls.  There were no curtain or separations.  One big shower.

I don't remember if the previous family installed it like that or if there was some reason it came that way.  As far as we were told it was not for anyone who specifically needed an easy access shower room.

Jules1980

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
DH and I just bought a new house.  Some features are a pass-through that has been walled up on one side and shelves added to the other.  I'm not sure whether I want to 'un-wall' it or use it as a shelf for my collectable barbies.  It also has a hidden room.  It was once a carport storage room, but then the house was added on to and that room ended up in the middle of the house instead of the edge of the carport.  You have to go through the pantry to get to it from inside the house.  And finally, there's a fireplace in the master bedroom. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
A house that glowed Pink. The shag carpet was pink. The walls were "white" with a tint of pink. I had to get out of there because it made me feel sick.
:o Was this in Maryland?  Our realtor told us about a Pink house somewhere in this area where everything was pink.  Walls, rugs, exterior -- even the appliances had been overpainted with pink.   And the sellers insisted on a covenant with prospective buyers that they wouldn't change anything.  It was on the market for years, even though much of that time was a seller's market.

Re pink rooms: my MIL's guest room was pink.  No, that doesn't do it justice.  Nor does grabbing the unfortunate bystander by the lapels and shrieking "It's pink, I tell you, PINK!!!

It was .  Walls, carpeting, bedspread.  It was like trying to sleep in a giant Pepto-Bismol bottle.

No Texas.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

LyraSilverose

• Never tickle a sleeping tiger.
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
I once looked at a house that was earth sheltered and had been built by a man who did spray on concrete swimming pools.  Each room was sort of a bubble and each was on a different level from the next one by 2-4 steps.  Arranging furniture would have been challenging & I think my carpet guy would have pitched a hissy fit since there were no straight walls anywhere.  The master bathroom had a kind of grotto with narrow steps down into a hot tub.  The realtor & I called the garage the Batcave.  It was two cars wide and three cars deep.  DH would have LOVED it.  It had 15 foot ceilings & he could have installed a hoist.  It also had a canning kitchen right beside the garage.  It even had an indoor swimming pool & hot tub in their own bubble.  All of these were earth covered except for a skylight in the center of each dome.

It would have been kind of a fun house to have, (and my legs would have been in great shape from all the stairs), but it was a bit stiff price for us at the time.

This, right here, is my dream house, almost exactly.  I once drew it, "bubbles" and all, with an indoor grotto-style pool.  Someone stole my house!
Soft paws and sharp claws a tiger do make.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »
A house that glowed Pink. The shag carpet was pink. The walls were "white" with a tint of pink. I had to get out of there because it made me feel sick.
:o Was this in Maryland?  Our realtor told us about a Pink house somewhere in this area where everything was pink.  Walls, rugs, exterior -- even the appliances had been overpainted with pink.   And the sellers insisted on a covenant with prospective buyers that they wouldn't change anything.  It was on the market for years, even though much of that time was a seller's market.

Re pink rooms: my MIL's guest room was pink.  No, that doesn't do it justice.  Nor does grabbing the unfortunate bystander by the lapels and shrieking "It's pink, I tell you, PINK!!!

It was .  Walls, carpeting, bedspread.  It was like trying to sleep in a giant Pepto-Bismol bottle.

Demanding a covenant like that would be a bigger turn off than the pink!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

No Texas.

I think I saw a house like that on Private Chefs of Beverly Hills. The owner celebrated her pink house and pink wardrobe with a pink themed party. Blech. Too bad the perception filters from Doctor Who aren't real, because then someone could get around that covenant with "Sure, sure, don't worry. The house is now a lovely terracotta color still pink and Barbietastic, Mrs Previous Owner  :-* "
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:50:15 PM by TeamBhakta »