Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 95855 times)

Gabrielle

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
I once visited a house in a commune way out in rural town. All well and fine, everything is wooden and natural and it all looks very nice.

And then I went to the bathroom.
The bathroom had 3 clear glass walls. Not one-way glass - completely clear glass. Looking out over a lovely field and to the sea. The view was lovely, but there was something incredibly creepy about being watched by horses while going about my business.

Then as I was washing my hands, a horse trek rode by!

HorseFreak

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
A house that glowed Pink. The shag carpet was pink. The walls were "white" with a tint of pink. I had to get out of there because it made me feel sick.
:o Was this in Maryland?  Our realtor told us about a Pink house somewhere in this area where everything was pink.  Walls, rugs, exterior -- even the appliances had been overpainted with pink.   And the sellers insisted on a covenant with prospective buyers that they wouldn't change anything.  It was on the market for years, even though much of that time was a seller's market.

Re pink rooms: my MIL's guest room was pink.  No, that doesn't do it justice.  Nor does grabbing the unfortunate bystander by the lapels and shrieking "It's pink, I tell you, PINK!!!

It was .  Walls, carpeting, bedspread.  It was like trying to sleep in a giant Pepto-Bismol bottle.

No Texas.

I think I saw a house like that on Private Chefs of Beverly Hills. The owner celebrated her pink house and pink wardrobe with a pink themed party. Blech. Too bad the perception filters from Doctor Who aren't real, because then someone could get around that covenant with "Sure, sure, don't worry. The house is now a lovely terracotta color still pink and Barbietastic, Mrs Previous Owner  :-* "

I decorated the bathroom of my first apartment entirely in Barbie pink as a joke, but nothing was permanent. My then-BF found this hideous, bright pink bath mat and it was downhill from there to a flamingo shower curtain, pink towels, flamingo accessories and art in pink frames. It was BLINDING and awful, but I loved all its tacky glory. I can't imagine trying to sell a house decorated like that.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
Before I found my current house (I'm thinking of starting a picture thread of it because i love it so much, I hope no one finds that braggy or anything...I just really love my house and want to share it with you all!) I saw one house that, in the bathroom, there was a long, straight, narrow staircase and right at the top was...the toilet.  It was super narrow too; barely more than the width of the toilet tank, making sitting on the can a very precarious perch.  I couldn't even remotely imagine trying to navigate those stupid stairs at 3 in the morning, half-asleep, blurred vision from not having contact lenses in...I'd fall and break my neck, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I looked at another place that umm...well...It's hard to explain.  Right away walking in, you could tell what the story was.  A paranoid old lady had lived there, probably alone, was sick of a long time and probably died there.  It was a very small house and had not been cleared out by the previous owner's family.  Everything was exactly as it had been.  The decor hadn't been updated since the '60s, the closets were packed with old-lady clothes.  There was a super heavy-duty alarm system and heavy steel bars and shutters over all the windows.  There was a hospital bed in the living room, empty pill bottles all over the place, a bowl inexplicably filled with what had to have been a thousand keys, and the house had no basement...just a creepy trapdoor serial-killer dirt cellar.  The entire house had the creepiest, most uncomfortable vibe of ANY house I'd ever been in in my entire life.  I told my parents that if I bought that place, my power bill would be through the roof because I'd NEVER shut the lights off.

I get the jibblies just remembering.  Ugh.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Back from house hunting!  An incinerator toilet is exactly what you think it is...instead of flushing things away, it burns them. http://incinolet.com/

Except...the cats drink out of the toilet. Can you imagine the horror of a cat falling into one of these things?
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
Back from house hunting!  An incinerator toilet is exactly what you think it is...instead of flushing things away, it burns them. http://incinolet.com/

Except...the cats drink out of the toilet. Can you imagine the horror of a cat falling into one of these things?

Am I the only one laughing at "And won't hurt your bottom line!" on that website?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »

I'm going to hell for imagining, ala Craig Ferguson's show, "WHAT DID WE LEARN ON THE SHOW TONIGHT, CRAIG ? MRRROW--*EXPLOSION, FLUSH*"

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »
Yesterday I decided to go trawling for houses in the area that Ace and I want to move into in the next few years.

I found a house that had a remarkably similar colour scheme to the house that the Simpsons live in.

Yes. Purple and white tiles on the kitchen floor, bright orange cupboards with purple doors and blue handles. The fridge was painted green.

The weirdest part? The rest of the house was totally normal, boring beige and neutral colours then BAM! Cartoony kitchen.

Odd.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2011, 02:38:42 AM »

Am I the only one laughing at "And won't hurt your bottom line!" on that website?

No you are not. Although my inner kid is slightly disappointed that there are no flames to shoot out of the toilet when business is done. I'd buy that, going to the toilet would be awesome then. Water is for wimps, give me flames.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
My first thought was that this would be perfect for camping!  Then I noticed that electricity is required and that it has to remain plugged in even when not in use.  Pooey!   :-\

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
My first thought was that this would be perfect for camping!  Then I noticed that electricity is required and that it has to remain plugged in even when not in use.  Pooey!   :-\

Yeah, there is evidently some risk of toxic fumes.  The house has been owned by 2 men since 1968 and they only used it seasonally.  I'm not sure 5 people, 3 of whom are female, will be as happy with it.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

lipli

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
Before I found my current house (I'm thinking of starting a picture thread of it because i love it so much, I hope no one finds that braggy or anything...I just really love my house and want to share it with you all!) I saw one house that, in the bathroom, there was a long, straight, narrow staircase and right at the top was...the toilet.  It was super narrow too; barely more than the width of the toilet tank, making sitting on the can a very precarious perch.  I couldn't even remotely imagine trying to navigate those stupid stairs at 3 in the morning, half-asleep, blurred vision from not having contact lenses in...I'd fall and break my neck, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

By any chance was it in Atlanta?  I purchased a condo a few years ago and while looking I stumbled upon the oddest thing.  It was in an older building that had been either converted or updated.  It had the most awesome balcony I have ever seen.  Everything was normal/standard - decent living room, nice updated kitchen. BUT, the bedroom was teeny-tiny and didn't have a closet.  If you stuck a double bed in there, you couldn't have fit a dresser. 

But it had the most pimped out bathroom I have ever seen - like something out of MTV cribs.  It had travertine tile on the floor and up the walls, a jacuzzi and a separate shower with multiple shower heads and really awesome lights.  But the toilet was up a few stairs.  You would also walk up the stairs and step into the jacuzzi.  I knew the first night I went to the bathroom, I would have to call an ambulance.  The bathroom belonged in a house 3x what the condo was going for. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
LOL no, it wasn't in Atlanta, it was in Edmonton, Alberta, where I still live.  I honestly regret not taking pictures of it with my phone at least when I saw it, because it sure was...unique!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Pinky830

« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
I knew a guy in graduate school who built a mountain cabin with his partner. Neither of them had the slightest knowledge or experience with building houses; they bought a book called "How to Design and Build You Own Home." (Old mountain dude down the road would stop by every couple of days and ask, "What page you boys on today?")

They built a pretty decent house, actually. They did put a few features in that you might expect when two young guys build a house together. They didn't have a normal bathroom, for one thing. The bathtub was under a trapdoor in the living room floor, the shower was outside, and the toilet was in the bedroom. They defended the toilet by saying it was really convenient for when you went to bed after imbibing heavily.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
I wouldn't ever want to sleep near a toilet.  No.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
I wouldn't ever want to sleep near a toilet.  No.

Especially one someone else was throwing up in!  :-X