Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 92949 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
Heh heh, the Financier keeps trying to talk me into letting him install a toilet in the living room. "You don't understand! The LRT is *the* new decorating thing."
Words mean things.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Heh heh, the Financier keeps trying to talk me into letting him install a toilet in the living room. "You don't understand! The LRT is *the* new decorating thing."

LOL!  We had our refrigerator and microwave in our living room for a while (kitchen remodel) and my DH thought that was amazing.  I don't know what he'd do if we had a toilet there too.  He'd never have to leave!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »
If you had the toilet built into DH's recliner, then he'd never have to leave THAT, either!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
When we were trailer-shopping earlier this year, we saw a really weird one that had bed and bathroom in back, as usual ... but the bathroom had no wall. Just the bed, the sink, the shower, and the toilet. UGH.
Words mean things.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #199 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
Our house (been living here for about 6 months) has an interesting placement for the toilet paper holder in the main bathroom: on the wall behind and a little to the right of the toilet, about 10 inches off the floor. One would have to lean down and reach back for some TP.

This wasn't some afterthought holder, it's tiled on the wall just like the regular wall tiles, so I have to believe it was done the same time.

Who thought that was a good idea!?
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #200 on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
Our master bath toilet paper holder was originally to the left of and behind the toilet.  Huge pain in the butt.  It's a small bathroom, so I can see how there weren't many options, but they could have found somewhere!  Considering that the master bath is part of a recent addition, you'd think they would have planned for that.  We moved it to the wall just to the right of the toilet.  It's a few feet under the towel bar now, but I'd rather be able to reach the toilet paper, especially since you can't reach the towel bar from the tub anyway...  We put a hook on the door for wet towels so the toilet paper won't get soaked.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
Three houses immediately come to mind for this thread!

The first was the home of a doctor/amateur taxidermist.  The upper two stories were totally normal, bland, blah "trying-to-sell" decoration.  The basement...was another story.  As you walked down the carpeted steps, you were greeted by a stuffed lynx at the bottom.  There were various other stuffed animals around the basement, most of which seemed to be endangered (there was the lynx, a bobcat, and a bald eagle down there, plus assorted deer heads).  When you walked into the laundry room, there was a weird little extension that, at first glance, seemed like they might have tried to build a shower back there and only finished halfway (drain and walls, no water piped in).  DH noticed what appeared to be blood in the drain, and we realized that was where the doctor/taxidermist dressed his kills!  I could barely walk on the carpet after that.  Ewwww! 

The second had floor to ceiling wood panelling on the walls upstairs.  That's not that weird, except that the panelling was designed to hide the door of the only bathroom up there.  We found it by accident (the door didn't have a handle, it had a latch that you lifted up to open the door) and just about fell into the bathroom.  That was a little weird...can you imagine have to feel along the walls for the door in the middle of the night?  Then, when we went into the bedrooms, we thought it seemed oddly cold (we were looking in January).  Opened one of the closets to see the roof beams!  There was no insulation in either of the bedrooms up there!  This is in Minnesota, where -20 degree Farenheit temps aren't unknown! 

Third house had murals.  Wallpaper murals that covered entire walls of the house.  There was the forest mural in the living room, complete with animals looking out from behind trees and a small cabin with people chopping wood.  On the wall across from this mural was a full-wall mirror, so the mural was repeated!  Downstairs was the ocean mural, again covering a full wall, and again with a mirror on the other side to replicate it.  Plus many of the walls were painted with forest or ocean motifs (bears, dolphins, etc) that were in bad shape (faded, peeling).  I know that paint/wallpaper is not that hard to deal with, but the idea of having to remove huge swaths of wallpaper and repaint most of the house was too much for DH and I. 

Ruelz

« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Our entire house was a bit weird...but the weirdest was the 'den'.  I guess it was intended as an older uncle's suite...so it had a bathroom with a toilet and a tub...but the sink itself was in the bedroom proper.

We took out that bathroom, made it into a walk-in closet (not too much storage in this house), removed the sink and turned it into a 4th bedroom/den.

Not missing that bathroom either...there was a powder room beside it from the hallway that we kept...
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
I suppose I could throw in one of the odd things about my own house, Bedside Manor....the attic access is directly above the basement stairs, so in order to get into the attic, I'd have to stand a ladder on the very steep steps leading downstairs.

I don't know that I'll ever find out what that attic looks like LOL.

Also, there is http://greenbuildingelements.com/2008/12/01/hand-build-an-earth-sheltered-house-for-5000/ this, possibly one of the coolest things I've ever seen!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #204 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Our house (been living here for about 6 months) has an interesting placement for the toilet paper holder in the main bathroom: on the wall behind and a little to the right of the toilet, about 10 inches off the floor. One would have to lean down and reach back for some TP.

This wasn't some afterthought holder, it's tiled on the wall just like the regular wall tiles, so I have to believe it was done the same time.

Who thought that was a good idea!?

I'm getting flashbacks to when Sophia Petrillo confessed to using the toilet backwards (on purpose) for a week

Mayor Maynot

• Happily Frazzled Mommy of 2 Precious Girls
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
Ooh that Green Built House for $5,000 reminds me of Shrek's house in the swamp!  How cool!!!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
I knew a guy in graduate school who built a mountain cabin with his partner. Neither of them had the slightest knowledge or experience with building houses; they bought a book called "How to Design and Build You Own Home." (Old mountain dude down the road would stop by every couple of days and ask, "What page you boys on today?")

They built a pretty decent house, actually. They did put a few features in that you might expect when two young guys build a house together. They didn't have a normal bathroom, for one thing. The bathtub was under a trapdoor in the living room floor, the shower was outside, and the toilet was in the bedroom. They defended the toilet by saying it was really convenient for when you went to bed after imbibing heavily.

The toilet was in the bedroom or a toilet was in the bedroom? That is a crucial difference in my mind.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »
When I was house hunting around 3 1/2 years ago, one of the townhouses had a storage space with a door below the staircase. I immediately called it a "Harry Potter closet", since Harry Potter slept in one of those little rooms. The realtor did not get the reference.

Another townhouse was a short sale. It had broken doors, among other problems. It had a hot tub in the screened porch- but still did not make it worth it. The seller was creepy- showing us a mugshot of Frank Sinatra and telling us why he got arrested. Realtor and I literally ran out of the house!
I have pet mice!

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »
When I was house hunting around 3 1/2 years ago, one of the townhouses had a storage space with a door below the staircase. I immediately called it a "Harry Potter closet", since Harry Potter slept in one of those little rooms. The realtor did not get the reference.

My son has a Harry Potter closet--and he and his roommates call it that!

It's carpeted inside and from time to time they will joke about renting it out!

Pinky830

« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
I knew a guy in graduate school who built a mountain cabin with his partner. Neither of them had the slightest knowledge or experience with building houses; they bought a book called "How to Design and Build You Own Home." (Old mountain dude down the road would stop by every couple of days and ask, "What page you boys on today?")

They built a pretty decent house, actually. They did put a few features in that you might expect when two young guys build a house together. They didn't have a normal bathroom, for one thing. The bathtub was under a trapdoor in the living room floor, the shower was outside, and the toilet was in the bedroom. They defended the toilet by saying it was really convenient for when you went to bed after imbibing heavily.

The toilet was in the bedroom or a toilet was in the bedroom? That is a crucial difference in my mind.

It's been 20 years, but the one in the bedroom is the only one I remember.