Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 92480 times)

JoW

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »
Not while house-hunting.  A house was being built across the street and I went in and looked. 

In the master bathroom there was a tub built for 2.  Walls on 3 sides.  The faucet and valves were on the front, in the middle .  You have to climb over them to get in the tub.  Seriously dangerous.  One slip and 9 months later you give birth to a bar sink. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
My parents' house where I grew up had bright Christmasy red carpet and red flocked wallpaper. They couldn't afford to replace it when they moved in, so my early childhood memories involved playing dolls on the floor of Dante's Inferno.

*snorf*

*Note to self, do not eat yogurt and read ehell*

I went into the ladies' room of a church at which my band was singing.  The carpet was red shag.  The walls were covered in red, gold, and white striped flocked wallpaper.  The lampshades were red, gold, and white to match the wallpaper, and were very frilly and ruffly.  There was a huge gold-framed mirror on one wall.  It looked for all the world like a bordello's waiting room.

and you would know this how???  >:D

I read a lot.   ;D

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
When I was house hunting around 3 1/2 years ago, one of the townhouses had a storage space with a door below the staircase. I immediately called it a "Harry Potter closet", since Harry Potter slept in one of those little rooms. The realtor did not get the reference.

My apartment had a closet like that under the stairs, complete with door.  I've always thought it was an excellent use of space.  In my apartment it was very boring looking, but I have seen them in older homes where it does look like a neat little hiding area. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »
If you had the toilet built into DH's recliner, then he'd never have to leave THAT, either!

Yeah, but then he'd be the one responsible for cleaning it out.  Because I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.  :-X ;D

Green Eyed Hawk, that house was kind of cool!  It rather reminded me of The Shire.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »
I knew a guy in graduate school who built a mountain cabin with his partner. Neither of them had the slightest knowledge or experience with building houses; they bought a book called "How to Design and Build You Own Home." (Old mountain dude down the road would stop by every couple of days and ask, "What page you boys on today?")

They built a pretty decent house, actually. They did put a few features in that you might expect when two young guys build a house together. They didn't have a normal bathroom, for one thing. The bathtub was under a trapdoor in the living room floor, the shower was outside, and the toilet was in the bedroom. They defended the toilet by saying it was really convenient for when you went to bed after imbibing heavily.

The toilet was in the bedroom or a toilet was in the bedroom? That is a crucial difference in my mind.

It's been 20 years, but the one in the bedroom is the only one I remember.

Eep! How very jail cell-esque  :P

When I was house hunting around 3 1/2 years ago, one of the townhouses had a storage space with a door below the staircase. I immediately called it a "Harry Potter closet", since Harry Potter slept in one of those little rooms. The realtor did not get the reference.

My apartment had a closet like that under the stairs, complete with door.  I've always thought it was an excellent use of space.  In my apartment it was very boring looking, but I have seen them in older homes where it does look like a neat little hiding area. 

There was one in my very first apartment. I slept in it.  :) It was actually pretty comfy-cozy.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a house with stairs that didn't have a closet under them!   ???

It's a perfect place for kids to have a 'hangout' if it's big.  If it's little, it's a wonderful place for your vacuum cleaner and your mop to live.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
We had a closet under the stairs growing up, but it was just a normal closet (and yes, the vacuum lives there).  The ceilings were really high, so they put a closet in at the tallest part, and right next to it is the door to the basement, which has the slanted ceiling.  Our current setup is a little odd, but there's a sort of chest height crawlspace under our stairs, that you access from the basement.

Rohanna

« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
Mine doesn't, because the underneath of the main floor stairs is the headroom for the basement stairs (does that make visual sense?)- there's a little shelf when you go down the basement steps where the floor of the closet would have been.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »
I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a house with stairs that didn't have a closet under them!   ???

There's no closet under the stairs on the main floor of my house, but that's likely because the living room is tiny and the wall space is necessary for furniture. There's no closet under the basement stairs, but there is a storage area.
The status is not quo!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
My brother had a town house with no closet under the stairs - open cement slabs on wrought iron - the area under the stairs was too open for any storage.  I think that he might have had a desk or bookshelves under there - it's been years since he sold it............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:26 AM »
Some things always make me go  ??? when I'm house hunting.

The first is family homes with carpeted eating areas. Seriously? Judging by the bedrooms, there are toddlers in the home.
Carpets? Under the chairs? Hope they own a rug cleaner!

The other one is carpeted bathrooms. By this I mean shag carpeting everywhere, even around the commode.
Splashed biologicals on carpet and no way to clean it?
Eww. Just...eww.

My favourite was an acreage we wanted to check out. The realtor looked at us oddly and said "Do you like trains?" in what I can only describe as a psychoticly cheery tone.
Turns out there was a train track about 50 feet from the front door.
A bit too close for me, thanks.

Before we bought this house we were living in a townhouse that was carpeted everywhere but the bathrooms, kitchen and laundry room.  And it was not an eat in kitchen, either.   And we have two boys who were not very good at remembering that gravity does not have a happy effect on fruit punch. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

#1aunt

« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
When my brother was looking for a house a couple years ago they opened a closet in the basement and found a mound of dirt with a twig cross stuck in it. 

exitzero

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
When my brother was looking for a house a couple years ago they opened a closet in the basement and found a mound of dirt with a twig cross stuck in it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!

Um...how big was the mound?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!

Um...how big was the mound?

As big as a sparrow from the garden?
As big as a loved dog?
As big as the MiL?

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »
As big as the mound you typically find in the Native American burial ground you didn't know the house was built on?
Words mean things.