Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 93294 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
As big as that creepy, transparent person standing behind you ?

Vall

« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
That reminds me of the movie Arsenic and Old Lace.  I think I'll watch that this weekend.
How big was the mound?

#1aunt

« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
It was basically a pile of dirt on top of a cement floor.  About as much dirt as would fit in a child's sand-castle-building bucket.    Big enough for a pet bird.

What's also funny about it is when I was looking for houses 18 months later I was sitting with my Realtor (the same one my brother used) looking at the listings of available homes.  The house was still on the market.  No, I didn't buy it.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
That reminds me of a house a friend of the family owns.  It is another Victorian and the basement has a dirt floor.  According to "Aunt" Kate, they brought a metal detector down there once and found a box which was full of papers and old brass keys.  They couldn't read the papers anymore and they have no idea what all the keys are for.  They also said the former owner told them a story about the original owners being buried down there.  They are not so sure they believe that.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
That reminds me of a house a friend of the family owns.  It is another Victorian and the basement has a dirt floor.  According to "Aunt" Kate, they brought a metal detector down there once and found a box which was full of papers and old brass keys.  They couldn't read the papers anymore and they have no idea what all the keys are for. 

To me, THAT would be awesome!!  I wonder if they tried the chemical process where you supposedly can restore writing, or at least reveal any imprint (dent) made by the pen?  What a great mystery!!

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
That reminds me of a house a friend of the family owns.  It is another Victorian and the basement has a dirt floor.  According to "Aunt" Kate, they brought a metal detector down there once and found a box which was full of papers and old brass keys.  They couldn't read the papers anymore and they have no idea what all the keys are for. 

To me, THAT would be awesome!!  I wonder if they tried the chemical process where you supposedly can restore writing, or at least reveal any imprint (dent) made by the pen?  What a great mystery!!

As far as I know they never tried anything like that.  I wonder if they still have it.  I'm apparently more curious about it than they are.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
We went to an open house at Victorian home in a neighborhood of houses in that style. The woodwork, parquet flooring, beveled glass built in china cabinets and the like had all been maintained. However, the basement was divided into several rooms, most painted light blue with sea creatures - primitive or cartoony style - painted on them and the words to "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" printed in a wavy line all around the walls.

magicdomino

« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2011, 05:04:10 PM »
We went to an open house at Victorian home in a neighborhood of houses in that style. The woodwork, parquet flooring, beveled glass built in china cabinets and the like had all been maintained. However, the basement was divided into several rooms, most painted light blue with sea creatures - primitive or cartoony style - painted on them and the words to "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" printed in a wavy line all around the walls.

Hm.  Day care or drug den?   :D

faithlessone

« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »

That sounds amazing!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

Hm.  Day care or drug den?   :D

Are you saying they're not the same thing?   :P

Pinky830

« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
This is a little OT, but the Victorian papers made me think of it and y'all will get a kick out of it. Happened near me:http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2011/sep/22/store-owner-woman-sold-us-live-bomb-unknowingly/

Summary-a woman took a box of stuff to the Army-Navy store, that was left in her attic by the previous owners. It included a 1939 Japanese mortar. The store guy spent a couple of days pondering it, then decided he should probably call the bomb squad. It ended up being taken away by the Air Force, who won't say what happened to it after that.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »
The reactions to a wallpaper in my grandparents house when it was being sold. Having grown up in the house I'd never really noticed it and no one else in the family had either, it was in a little used craft room. They were 1 inch high little black stick figures on a white background dancing around little stick fires. Doesn't sound bad but they were stick figures of both genders and they were quite graphic and realistic about which genders they were. I mean really graphic, certain things round and third err legs included. I think my grandmother had a cheeky sense of humor as that room was her personal craft room. I wonder where she found the wallpaper.

When we were first told about it by an eagle eye potential buyer there was a bit of a uproar about what to do about it. In the end it was left alone but dang it was funny. 30 years and no one had noticed. Wish I had a picture. Apparently it was the first thing to go when the new owners took possession.
Funny how no one noticed.  Maybe it was just that no one could believe their eyes.  Sounds like your grandmother had a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:15:43 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
It was basically a pile of dirt on top of a cement floor.  About as much dirt as would fit in a child's sand-castle-building bucket.    Big enough for a pet bird.

What's also funny about it is when I was looking for houses 18 months later I was sitting with my Realtor (the same one my brother used) looking at the listings of available homes.  The house was still on the market.  No, I didn't buy it.

Not quite house-hunting, but close.

DH and I were moving to a new community and looked into building a house.
So we were looking at acreage lots and other properties.

We found a really, really lovely lot, high on the river bank with a fantastic view. As we explored the land, we paid attention to the local geography with an eye to building sites.
A ravine ran through the property, surrounded by trees. As we explored this little copse, we were confronted by a *huge* wooden cross. As in probably about 6' tall.
It was ornately carved and had a person's name inscribed.

DH and I were both  ???
I was absolutely sure it was a grave.

We asked the realtor, who was as surprised as we were.
Turned out that it was simply a memorial to the seller's daughter, who had died tragically some years before.

We didn't end up buying the property, and the realtor did ask the family to relocate the cross.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »
I think the worst thing we saw this past weekend was a pepto-bismal pink living room.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
I think the worst thing we saw this past weekend was a pepto-bismal pink living room.

If that's the worst thing you saw out there, you're doin' all right.  ;)
The status is not quo!