Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 90781 times)

HorseFreak

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #360 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
My apartment in a small town in NH was a delightful example of old home + wannabe handyman = disaster. The place was built in the mid-to-late 1800's (it's present in a photo from 1890) as a storefront downstairs and two story living quarters upstairs. I'm sure it was beautiful when built, but some time later an owner decided to convert the upstairs into two apartments by placing a wall down the middle and extending the building back with a 20' deep addition. The middle staircase was divided with the wall and it's hard to explain the floor plan, but it's obvious what was original when you're standing in there.

Mr. Weekend Warrior Handyman installed a new circuit breaker, but opted not to remove the metal piece covering the switch for the new bedroom. When my roommate ran her hair dryer and portable heater at once the breaker tried to trip, but was obstructed, nearly causing a major electrical fire. We noticed the smoke and turned everything off. The fire department was not amused with our landlord (likely the handyman from like behavior when this was discovered) and made him install some additional detectors and signals that would alert us to a fire in the deli downstairs. At least the rent was cheap!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #361 on: November 10, 2011, 01:16:49 AM »
When we bought a new kitchen, we totally rearranged everything except the sink and dishwasher. We ended up with an outlet where the new pantry closet went and the guys putting the cabinets in just couldn't let us disconnect it and have the pantry cover it. So, I have a live outlet in my pantry which I will never use.

I wonder what any new buyers may think of that in 20 years. I don't know what to think of it.

I could see that being handy for rechargeable batteries and such.

Yup, if we didn't need the space for food storage. Maybe in a one person household it would be helpful.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #362 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:05 AM »
I recently looked at a house with an old phone box (booth) in the backyard.  One of those old ones which were made of clear glass and red wood.  When I saw the photo on the internet I thought it would be a fun thing for the kids to have (I still remember having one at my kindergarten when I was a kid).  When I went to look at the house though I discovered that the phone box housed a working toilet.  In the middle of the backyard.  With clear glass walls.  With not a single thing to obscure the user.

Really, really odd.

catgal

« Reply #363 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
WestAussieGirl, there is a house in South Australia, around the corner from my parents house that had the exact same set up.  When the old red phone boxes were being sold off, must have been 30 years ago, several people that mum and dad knew bought phone boxes.  There was the one that replaced an old existing outdoor loo, another had some of the glass removed and became part of an aviary, and I can't remember what happened to the others. There were articles in the paper about the many uses of old phone boxes - it was a bit of a fad.  ;D
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #364 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
When we bought a new kitchen, we totally rearranged everything except the sink and dishwasher. We ended up with an outlet where the new pantry closet went and the guys putting the cabinets in just couldn't let us disconnect it and have the pantry cover it. So, I have a live outlet in my pantry which I will never use.

I wonder what any new buyers may think of that in 20 years. I don't know what to think of it.

Yup, if we didn't need the space for food storage. Maybe in a one person household it would be helpful.

I was picturing a standard outlet that you'd use to plug in one or two things but could be closed off with baby-proofing plugs if you didn't need it. I didn't realize it was taking up so much space. That would be a pain!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »

I was picturing a standard outlet that you'd use to plug in one or two things but could be closed off with baby-proofing plugs if you didn't need it. I didn't realize it was taking up so much space. That would be a pain!

No. It is just a regular outlet so just useless to me as I need all of that shelf for food, not recharging the DustBuster or phones. It's not in way, just looks silly when I clean the pantry.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
My parents live in a circa 1920's house.

At one end of the kitchen there is a shallow (as in 3" deep) cupboard. It used to house a built in ironing board, but the ironing board was long gone by the time we moved in.

Mom used to store her broom and dustpan since it was the perfect size.
A few years ago, they finally renovated the kitchen. The 'broom closet was retained, but now it holds...an ironing board.
Still confuses me when I go visit.  :D

JadeGirl

« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2011, 07:12:47 AM »

I have one of those - it's turned out to be really handy.  I made a hole in the side of the pantry closet so I could run power cables from appliances in the hutch next to it.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
My parents live in a circa 1920's house.

At one end of the kitchen there is a shallow (as in 3" deep) cupboard. It used to house a built in ironing board, but the ironing board was long gone by the time we moved in.

Mom used to store her broom and dustpan since it was the perfect size.
A few years ago, they finally renovated the kitchen. The 'broom closet was retained, but now it holds...an ironing board.
Still confuses me when I go visit.  :D

Myst be characteristic of houses for that time.  My own home was built in 1922 and I have a very shallow cupboard like what you describe in my kitchen.  I use it to house my broom , dustpan, and a couple other things I don't have another place for, but it's not much use to store cleaning supplies other than the broom and stuff, because bottles of cleaner and such are usually too wide and the cupboard doors won't close.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
The house we are in now has one of those, except, sadly, there is an actual ironing board in it, which is useless to us. Much better to have one lined with shallow shelves for spices and things.

Oh, and I don't know when the house was built, exactly, but I'm guessing 1915ish.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #370 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
From a slideshow of houses in the NY Times:

House 1: a faux hieroglyphics painted sink + a mini pyramid off to the side

House 2: Winnie The Pooh quote over the kitchen

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:44:35 AM by TeamBhakta »

Stormtreader

« Reply #371 on: November 18, 2011, 06:09:49 AM »
Ok, both of those are awesome :D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #372 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
We have been in our townhouse for 3 months. Two weeks ago, DH ran a dishwasher cleaner through our dishwasher. The object is for the dishwasher to get hot enough to melt the wax plug, which pulls all grit and sediment out of the dishwasher. After the cycle had finished, he opened the dishwasher to find a perfectly intact cleaner as it had not got hot enough to melt the wax. He did some investigating and found that there is only a cold water outlet where the dishwasher is located and it does not make its own hot water. So, for 12 years, this dishwasher has been run on cold water. No wonder it did such an awful job.

It has now been fixed, which involved cutting the water line, and making a mess. I am certainly glad the Thanksgiving dishes can be washed now and not rewashed by hand.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #373 on: December 10, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
My brother's first house after he married had the master bedroom and their daughter's room next to each other, with a closet directly opposite in the hall.  The closet had a large mirrored door, so if the MB door was left open while someone was changing, this would reflect into the daughter's room  :-X.  My SIL had him take out the door for a wood one.

I once saw a house that was a converted 1800's schoolhouse.  The living room was the original classroom, with the old stove in the middle.  The owner had lovingly preserved the original walls and even part of the chalkboard became the family's message center.  There were add-ons but all of them had used the same old-fashioned wooden wall look so the styles wouldn't clash.  It wasn't laughingly funny like some of the houses in the thread, but definitely unusual! 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #374 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
This isn't a house hunting story.  It's a story about the house where I grew up. When I was a teenager, my folks they decided that they wanted to turn the two family house into a one family house.  The renovations resulted in some interesting discoveries. 

The house dated from about 1840.  At that time, the area was noted for brick-making.  Renovating the house was frustrating because the floor plan couldn't be changed.  Althouh the house seemed to be clapboard, every single wall was load-bearing.  Each one was lined with brick.  We couldn't change the layout at all.

Even Dad's idea about enlarging the flower beds was thwarted because, a few inches  under the surface of the ground, we found the yard was also lined with brick. 

In the back yard were two magnificent lilac bushes that had once shielded an outhouse.  It was long gone but we always laughed that the original structure was also probably brick. After all,everything else in town was. 

We also learned that our parlor had most likely been a shop or tavern at some point.  There was the mysterious signature of 'Eugene Zundel' scratched into a family room window and yes, there was a small graveyard hidden in the raspberry canes behind the garage. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:11:11 AM by Thipu1 »