Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 93377 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
It wasn't something I personally saw, but a neighbor of a coworker had a huge custom carpet put in their house  -- a giant Washington Redskins logo (US football team)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #406 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
Bright, blood red carpet. Wha?? Nothing goes with that!

LOL!  Careful there!   :(

When we bought our house (in 1970) it was brand new so we got to choose everything that was in it.  Our family room (sunken) had fairly dark wood paneling and bright fiery red shag carpet.  (I think the actual name of it was something like "Painted Desert".)

We had no trouble finding furniture that looked very nice with it! 

It has since been replaced -- both carpeting and furniture, but it wasn't because we grew to hate it.  It was just that it got old and worn out.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »
For some unknown reason, the in law's house in Vermont had an unshielded toilet in the garage.  It was convenient when someone was doing yard work and they did hang a shower curtain around it to provide some privacy.  still, it was an odd thing to see.

Pinky830

« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »
Bright, blood red carpet. Wha?? Nothing goes with that!

Sure it does!  The room that eventually became my nursery had blood-red shag carpeting and HOT PINK walls when my parents bought the house.  They repainted the walls, but a few of my earliest memories involve that carpet.  (That house had different primary color carpeting in every room of the house, apparently, and different neon-color walls in each room too.  My mom says it was the most hideous house she has ever seen and they got it for a steal because they were willing to paint!)

When I bought my first house, it was 15 years old. Every single room was painted a dull mustard yellow with beige trim. Really. Take a minute to picture how that looked. It was the original builder paint. Every room, the inside of every closet, everything. We were the third owner, and the previous two owners lived with it like that, not so much as repainting the kitchen. We didn't get it for a steal <sigh>, but it had sat vacant for 6 months at a time when houses in our area usually sold pretty fast. If nothing else, I'm amazed that the realtor didn't suggest to the owner that it might move faster if she had the darn place painted. Over the next few years, we repainted every single room, including the garage. I've posted elsewhere about the horrible nightmare the trim paint turned out to be.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #409 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
We just made an offer on a foreclosed house to use as a rental property. It's very cheap - one reason being that the furnace was stolen.

Wow. How would they get it out of the house? Wouldn't they have to dismantle it?

And why??

Someone stole a bridge. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180364-455.stm Somehow that helps put things into prospective.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #410 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
We just made an offer on a foreclosed house to use as a rental property. It's very cheap - one reason being that the furnace was stolen.

Wow. How would they get it out of the house? Wouldn't they have to dismantle it?

And why??

Someone stole a bridge. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180364-455.stm Somehow that helps put things into prospective.

Sounds like really ambitious scrap metal thieves. That's a lot of work!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Isometric

« Reply #411 on: January 24, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
Oops, sorry Slartibartfast & gramma dishes, I'm sure your red carpet looked lovely! It was just unusual to see, especially since the house was overpriced!

This was flat carpet, not shag, so I guess it could be fun to pretend you're going to the Oscars??

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #412 on: January 24, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Oops, sorry Slartibartfast & gramma dishes, I'm sure your red carpet looked lovely! It was just unusual to see, especially since the house was overpriced!

This was flat carpet, not shag, so I guess it could be fun to pretend you're going to the Oscars??

Oh, no, I'm pretty sure it was hideous  :P  I only have vague memories of that house (we moved when I was not quite four) and we don't have any pictures from before they repainted, so I have to take my parents' word for it.  From the pictures I've seen of the living room and the kitchen, though, I think the previous owners must have gotten some great deals on leftover paint from a kindergarten or a circus or something!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #413 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »

We lived in a rental house in northern Ontario for a while.

While there, we learned that in that area, homeowners don't own their furnaces or their hot water heaters.
Both appliances are rented - from the gas utility.

It always struck me as very strange - and probably a conflict of interest - that you had to rent your gas-powered appliances from the company you had to buy gas from.
Cause really, it wasn't in the utility's best interest to provide you with efficient appliances. The more gas they burned, the more money the gas utility made.

Very strange.

flowersintheattic

« Reply #414 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
It wasn't something I personally saw, but a neighbor of a coworker had a huge custom carpet put in their house  -- a giant Washington Redskins logo (US football team)

There's a house currently on the market a few blocks from me that has bright blue carpet with the Creighton University Bluejays logo. http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=652 (the carpet is the word "Jays" and the bird). All I could think when I saw it was that they probably had to special order it through the University....and adding the University logo to anything creates at least a 50% markup...so that carpet had to cost a fortune! And it'll probably be the first thing to go when someone else buys the house.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

Pinky830

« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »

There's a house currently on the market a few blocks from me that has bright blue carpet with the Creighton University Bluejays logo. http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=652 (the carpet is the word "Jays" and the bird). All I could think when I saw it was that they probably had to special order it through the University....and adding the University logo to anything creates at least a 50% markup...so that carpet had to cost a fortune! And it'll probably be the first thing to go when someone else buys the house.

There was a bunch of Georgia Tech stuff, like an area rug etc, in the basement game room when I bought my house. None of it was permanent. I'm finally getting around to redecorating that room, and I will correct the universe's basic error in making it a GA Tech room. It is about to be painted red with UGA decor.  ;D

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »

There was a bunch of Georgia Tech stuff, like an area rug etc, in the basement game room when I bought my house. None of it was permanent. I'm finally getting around to redecorating that room, and I will correct the universe's basic error in making it a GA Tech room. It is about to be painted red with UGA decor.  ;D

Eww!  ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »

I would bet that you could get Georgia Tech fans to haul the stuff away from your house...........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

And why??

Why?  "Hey, free furnace!"

ETA that I wonder if maybe the former owners took it with them in revenge for the foreclosure, or someone just broke in.

Could be, I know that around here if you buy a foreclosure, it's "as is".  If the previous owners choose to strew garbage all over the place or kick in the walls, there's no recourse.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #419 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:55 AM »

We lived in a rental house in northern Ontario for a while.

While there, we learned that in that area, homeowners don't own their furnaces or their hot water heaters.
Both appliances are rented - from the gas utility.

It always struck me as very strange - and probably a conflict of interest - that you had to rent your gas-powered appliances from the company you had to buy gas from.
Cause really, it wasn't in the utility's best interest to provide you with efficient appliances. The more gas they burned, the more money the gas utility made.

Very strange.

My electric water heater is rented from the local power company. They do care somewhat about the condition of their appliances because they are responsible for all the repairs. A sputtering/bad heater would mean an angry homeowner and a house call, and possibly a new unit.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.