Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 89454 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #420 on: January 25, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
I HAD to buy a smart meter but I cannot get a clear answer on who actually owns it. I've asked the elec. company, a few electrictions, the installer and the guy that signed off on the installation and NOBODY knows who owns it. If it's not me then I want a refund or at least a substantial maintenance/usage discount or I'll send them a rental fee. That meter was not cheap. Wonder if I have to add it to the house insurance.

Do you have a receipt?  If you have the receipt that clearly shows you paid for it then I'd think you own it.  But on the other hand, there are some very silly "laws" and rules out there!   ;D

It might almost be better if they own it because then they'd be responsible for any necessary repairs -- right?  Maybe.  :-\

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #421 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
Bright, blood red carpet. Wha?? Nothing goes with that!

Sure it does!  The room that eventually became my nursery had blood-red shag carpeting and HOT PINK walls when my parents bought the house.  They repainted the walls, but a few of my earliest memories involve that carpet.  (That house had different primary color carpeting in every room of the house, apparently, and different neon-color walls in each room too.  My mom says it was the most hideous house she has ever seen and they got it for a steal because they were willing to paint!)
That was the fashion in the hippie days -- neon wallpaint.  I vividly remember visiting a model house with my mother in Hawaii, so it must have been 1969 or thereabouts.  Every room was painted/papered in hot pink, acid yellow, blazing orange, and so on. With carpets a shade or two darker, IIRC, and at least one of the smaller bedrooms had neon psychedelic wallpaper.  ("Look, I'm tripping and I've never TOUCHED acid!")  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

exitzero

« Reply #422 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
Bright, blood red carpet. Wha?? Nothing goes with that!

Sure it does!  The room that eventually became my nursery had blood-red shag carpeting and HOT PINK walls when my parents bought the house.  They repainted the walls, but a few of my earliest memories involve that carpet.  (That house had different primary color carpeting in every room of the house, apparently, and different neon-color walls in each room too.  My mom says it was the most hideous house she has ever seen and they got it for a steal because they were willing to paint!)
That was the fashion in the hippie days -- neon wallpaint.  I vividly remember visiting a model house with my mother in Hawaii, so it must have been 1969 or thereabouts.  Every room was painted/papered in hot pink, acid yellow, blazing orange, and so on. With carpets a shade or two darker, IIRC, and at least one of the smaller bedrooms had neon psychedelic wallpaper.  ("Look, I'm tripping and I've never TOUCHED acid!")  >:D
It's not over yet. I live in a large condo building, and I was walking down the hallway awhile back when someone was coming out of their unit, and I glanced inside. I thought I was going to lose my eyesight. Neon green, yellow and pink were the colors I saw, but I bet there was more. That was only the hall way and part of the living room that I could see.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #423 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
When I moved into my own bedroom after sharing a room with my sister, she painted the walls tangerine orange with white trim.  It actually looked pretty good, except that it made the room seem quite a bit smaller.   This was the incident where I was going to paint the walls in my new bedroom (the one that had belonged to my brother) and discovered that he hadn't moved his posters, he had just painted around them.  Fortunately the unpainted areas were approximately the same size as most of my astronomy posters. 

What my mother had to say about my brother's painting job when she saw what he'd done was not E-Hell approved but very funny.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #424 on: January 25, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »
This was the incident where I was going to paint the walls in my new bedroom (the one that had belonged to my brother) and discovered that he hadn't moved his posters, he had just painted around them.  Fortunately the unpainted areas were approximately the same size as most of my astronomy posters. 

What my mother had to say about my brother's painting job when she saw what he'd done was not E-Hell approved but very funny.

We had "professional" painters do this! When we bought one of the buildings, we had painters paint the community room. We went to rearrange the book shelves (empty) and a few other moveable items and discovered that the painters had not moved them at all when they painted. They simply painted around them. They then tried to deny that their staff did so, security camera footage is a great thing! We were really tempted to stick a post it note over the signature line of the payment check and write around it (not sign it)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
We just made an offer on a foreclosed house to use as a rental property. It's very cheap - one reason being that the furnace was stolen.

Wow. How would they get it out of the house? Wouldn't they have to dismantle it?

And why??

Why?  "Hey, free furnace!"

ETA that I wonder if maybe the former owners took it with them in revenge for the foreclosure, or someone just broke in.

Could be, I know that around here if you buy a foreclosure, it's "as is".  If the previous owners choose to strew garbage all over the place or kick in the walls, there's no recourse.

Well, it turned out to be moot, because we hit a glitch in the paperwork for the offer, so this house is off the table.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

exitzero

« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
This was the incident where I was going to paint the walls in my new bedroom (the one that had belonged to my brother) and discovered that he hadn't moved his posters, he had just painted around them.  Fortunately the unpainted areas were approximately the same size as most of my astronomy posters. 

We had "professional" painters do this! When we bought one of the buildings, we had painters paint the community room. We went to rearrange the book shelves (empty) and a few other moveable items and discovered that the painters had not moved them at all when they painted. They simply painted around them. They then tried to deny that their staff did so, security camera footage is a great thing! We were really tempted to stick a post it note over the signature line of the payment check and write around it (not sign it)

Did they think that someone broke in, moved the furniture, painted the space back to the original color, then moved the furniture back? How on earth could the claim they hadn't done it????

Wulfie

« Reply #427 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »

Did they think that someone broke in, moved the furniture, painted the space back to the original color, then moved the furniture back? How on earth could the claim they hadn't done it????

No idea. They just tried to claim that the painters had painted according to the contract. Never mind that we paid extra for them to move everything and it was very obvious what they had done. The color difference was not so major that it would show up clearly in photos but it was very obvious to anyone looking at the wall. We simply copied off footage of their people painting around the bookcase and not moving them. They ended up coming back and painting correctly but it was a huge hassle. In the end cost us nearly twice what the original quote was because we had to buy twice the paint than what we had budgeted for.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #428 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »

Interesting, here in Oz were own all household appliances except for the electricity meters, water meter and gas meters hooked up to an external source. Which is very strange because the elec. meter I HAD to buy a smart meter but I cannot get a clear answer on who actually owns it. I've asked the elec. company, a few electrictions, the installer and the guy that signed off on the installation and NOBODY knows who owns it. If it's not me then I want a refund or at least a substantial maintenance/usage discount or I'll send them a rental fee. That meter was not cheap. Wonder if I have to add it to the house insurance.

If you are in WA, I can answer that one.  You don't own it and when you move you can't take it with you.  The money you pay is an installation fee not a purchase price.

Blondie

« Reply #429 on: January 26, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Oh I have a couple...

Growing up there was a very pretty house across the street, but it was built sideways.... Front door facing the neighbors property, not the street. In addition there was a hidden room under the stairs, behind the fireplace, that ran the width of the house, so probably 5ftx20ft, not a small space, but hard to access. It didn't seem to have been built for anything, but the neighbors always wondered what it was there for. My Great Aunt (married into the family) came to visit, and it turns out her parents had actually had the strange sideways house built. Apparently her mother had liked the design for the front so well that when it didn't fit properly on the lot, they built sideways. And the space behind the fireplace was builders error. they built the house 5 feet too long, and rather than adding it to a room, hid it...

Out house now was actually on the market for a good year before we bought it, and I think I know why- it has spectacular 10ft ceilings, crown moulding, and a fantastic outdoor space. However, this was a little hard to see, as the entire first floor was painters tape blue. The crown moulding, baseboard, and window casings were all a slightly darker shade. Blue fridge, blue oven, blue doors, strangely- pink counters and sink, and BRIGHT RED front door. The owners told us they were going for a midwestern/Texas look... We tried to nod politely. This was interesting.... But it was nothing compared to the basement. Maroon walls, matching trim, sparkly popcorn ceiling, and liver pink rug. It was like walking into an organ throwing a disco. Five coats of paint later it is a livable grey, and the carpeting met its untimely demise.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #430 on: January 26, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »
...    the space behind the fireplace was builders error. they built the house 5 feet too long, and rather than adding it to a room, hid it...

Would it be possible to knock through a wall and add a more "traditional" doorway into this space?  I can think of a million and one ways to use it if you could more easily get into it.  Or could someone just knock out the whole wall and add the space to already existing rooms?

I've always wanted a house with a hidden "mystery room".   :)

Wulfie

« Reply #431 on: January 26, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
Oh I have a couple...

Growing up there was a very pretty house across the street, but it was built sideways.... Front door facing the neighbors property, not the street. In addition there was a hidden room under the stairs, behind the fireplace, that ran the width of the house, so probably 5ftx20ft, not a small space, but hard to access.

I saw a house like that once. The extra space was actually a bomb shelter! The builder was positive that Seattle was going to get bombed by The Soviets so built a shelter under the stairs with access to the fireplace for cooking. It was REALLY weird!

On that note, I saw on House Hunter's International where every house they showed either had a bomb shelter in the unit or had easy access to one. I think it was in Jordan or Israel.

magicdomino

« Reply #432 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
A house in my neighborhood was apparently built backwards and upside down on a slope.  The public rooms are on the second floor.  So, you go up the hill and around to the back  to enter the living room, or you can go through a side door on the lower level into the bedroom area.  The upper level kitchen door in front currently has steps and a deck, but for the first twenty or thirty years, it just opened into space (I think it was blocked on the inside). 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #433 on: January 26, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Friends of my parents had a house that was built on a hillside.  You entered the house through the attic to a little entry room.  Then you went down the stairs to the main floor where the kitchen, living room, etc. were.  You went down one more flight to get to the bedrooms.  I imagine it was great for sleeping in the summer but a mite chilly in the winter.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Blondie

« Reply #434 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
...    the space behind the fireplace was builders error. they built the house 5 feet too long, and rather than adding it to a room, hid it...

Would it be possible to knock through a wall and add a more "traditional" doorway into this space?  I can think of a million and one ways to use it if you could more easily get into it.  Or could someone just knock out the whole wall and add the space to already existing rooms?

I've always wanted a house with a hidden "mystery room".   :)

Nope- at some point they extended it back to include the coat closet, but one wall is the back side of the fireplace, and apparently there are building regulations about how much of a berth that needs. Last time I was over, it was just empty.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams