A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Weird features spotted while house hunting

<< < (104/114) > >>

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: OSUJillyBean on April 30, 2013, 11:09:37 AM ---2.  One of the weirdest things I've seen while looking for college housing (off-campus) was a jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom that had FULL SHAG CARPET ON THE FLOORS AND OUTSIDE WALLS OF THE TUB.  That house was the moldiest, nastiest property we looked at and I was so glad we found someplace clean to live!!!

--- End quote ---

We found one of those, too. Who does that???

OSUJillyBean:

--- Quote from: RebeccainGA on April 30, 2013, 12:38:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: OSUJillyBean on April 30, 2013, 11:09:37 AM ---2.  One of the weirdest things I've seen while looking for college housing (off-campus) was a jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom that had FULL SHAG CARPET ON THE FLOORS AND OUTSIDE WALLS OF THE TUB.  That house was the moldiest, nastiest property we looked at and I was so glad we found someplace clean to live!!!

--- End quote ---

We found one of those, too. Who does that???

--- End quote ---

It looked like a 1970s studio for adult films that had been hastily turned into really icky student apartments.  Carpet in the bathroom is a terrible idea.  Lime-green shag carpet with what appeared to be an active mold colony growing in it made my skin crawl.  The house was huge and very cheap rent.  Now I know why!  Yikes!

Mel the Redcap:
The house the Good Ethnic Boy and I bought after our wedding was listed as "4-5 bedrooms" - the main bedroom, two small children's bedrooms, a long thin room we've converted into a film/TV/game room, and a teeny-tiny room that used to be a small wardrobe-less bedroom, lost its window and a chunk of space when an addition was built on, and is now a storage space that I'm slowly converting into a library.

The weird features (apart from the odd shape of the long thin room) are the security shutters on the windows of the two children's bedrooms (surprising, given that no other rooms had them, the front security door was long broken, and the back fence was a low wooden picket fence in horrible condition that I was able to kick down when we replaced it), and the wallpaper borders at the top of the walls in the same rooms. Originally we were planning that I would have the slightly smaller one and the Good Ethnic Boy would take the one that had better storage space for his comic collection... then he looked up, and discovered that the smaller room had a dinosaur border, but the larger one had fairies. Pink fairies. His masculinity revolted, and I got the bigger room. >:D

Mel the Redcap:
Ooh, and how could I forget this one?

When the Good Ethnic Boy and I were house-hunting, we were looking at some that were in an area with a lot of small, fairly steep hills. One in particular was built on the downhill side of the road, and the ground had been dug out to accommodate a two-storey house. The ground floor was sunk into the hill, with about a six-foot gap between the front of the house and the (walled-up) earth, so those rooms got at least some natural light; the rear of the house was clear; and you entered the house via a bridge over the 'moat' that connected to the centre of the top floor. We made jokes about installing a drawbridge and pulling it up to protect you from visiting relatives. >:D

That house was really awesome but unfortunately we couldn't afford the area. Poot. :P

menley:
Our house also has a missing window from the inside! We never noticed when we bought it, but I accidentally locked my husband out of the house one day and he was going around peeking in all the windows (so he could figure out which room I was in and knock on the window). I was in the master bathroom and all of a sudden heard loud knocking behind our large rectangular bathroom mirror... and a voice saying "LET ME IN!" 

I just about passed out, because we'd found out shortly before closing on the house that the previous owner had committed suicide.

Then I recognized that it was my husband's voice and tried to figure out where on earth it was coming from... apparently when the master bath had been renovated, they decided they didn't want a window in there. Rather than actually close it off, they just drywalled and hung a mirror over it. So from the outside, we have a window (that still has blinds!) to nowhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version