A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Weird features spotted while house hunting

<< < (2/114) > >>

Zenith:
The reactions to a wallpaper in my grandparents house when it was being sold. Having grown up in the house I'd never really noticed it and no one else in the family had either, it was in a little used craft room. They were 1 inch high little black stick figures on a white background dancing around little stick fires. Doesn't sound bad but they were stick figures of both genders and they were quite graphic and realistic about which genders they were. I mean really graphic, certain things round and third err legs included. I think my grandmother had a cheeky sense of humor as that room was her personal craft room. I wonder where she found the wallpaper.

When we were first told about it by an eagle eye potential buyer there was a bit of a uproar about what to do about it. In the end it was left alone but dang it was funny. 30 years and no one had noticed. Wish I had a picture. Apparently it was the first thing to go when the new owners took possession.

faithlessone:
Not me personally, but when a few friends of mine were looking for a student house, they discovered a toilet in a very odd place.

In the bathroom, there was an empty space where the toilet should have been. The pipes were there, just no actual toilet. The toilet was in the garden, and filled with earth, with a basil plant in the bowl.

Apparently, the landlord (who was showing them round) was just as surprised as they were. The funniest thing though, was that (rather than being incandescently furious), the landlord was more impressed that they'd managed  to get the toilet through the house and into the garden in one piece!!! Still, no idea why they'd done it.

(And no, my friends didn't take that one)

amanda_tlg:
With my DH being a general contractor he gets called in when people buy a new house and it has a feature that *has* to go. There's only two that come to my mind immediately, but he's told be about dozens of others

The first was the house where the entire downstairs had really nice crown molding that went through each room, hall, etc. Apparently it was stained a lovely color and would have looked nice....but it had been installed 6 inches below the ceiling....and upside down

The second was a gorgeous house that had been custom built by the original owner. I actually got to see this one myself when DH went in to work on it when the 2nd owner bought it. The house was absolutely beautiful. Except there was a minor (  :o ) design flaw, somebody had goofed. You could only get to the kitchen through the garage or by walking through a half bathroom. He fixed it. THEN the house was awesome.

hermanne:
My parents' house where I grew up had bright Christmasy red carpet and red flocked wallpaper. They couldn't afford to replace it when they moved in, so my early childhood memories involved playing dolls on the floor of Dante's Inferno.

The houses DH and I saw while we were house-hunting were pretty normal, but the smells. One place, they had a dog and the owner was cooking something tomato-based on the stove. That would've been kind of okay, except the owner also had a blueberry scented candle lit. Not a good combo.

amanda_tlg:

--- Quote from: hermanne on September 11, 2011, 07:48:48 AM ---My parents' house where I grew up had bright Christmasy red carpet and red flocked wallpaper. They couldn't afford to replace it when they moved in, so my early childhood memories involved playing dolls on the floor of Dante's Inferno.

--- End quote ---

*snorf*

*Note to self, do not eat yogurt and read ehell*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version