Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 90031 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
I once saw a house with 2 bedrooms with a chain and hook lock on the outside.  (was visiting)  Turns out that they were little kids and the parents didn't want to pay all that money for child gates so they locked their kids in the room.  ???

The house I grew up in was custom-built, so I am sure Mom and Dad did this on purpose. All three of us had our own rooms. Mine and my sister's rooms locked from the inside. Our brother's locked from the outside.
Words mean things.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
I've been in my new house for about five months now.  I saw several odd houses while hunting.

• root cellar, complete with a 3-foot long carrot
  • bathroom that appeared to have black trim... until I realized that I was having difficulty breathing because of the mold
  • a single boot in a dilapidated shed
  • Harley Davidston themed bathroom, complete with homemade leather toilet seat
[/b]
[/list]

Honestly, of all the crazy things people have posted in this thread, a leather toilet seat strikes me as the most bizarre...and gross. #1aunt for the win.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
The house my ex-husband still owns has a half-bath in the hallway, across from the laundry room. Just toilet and sink, mirror over sink, towel rack. Small room. And it was SALMON. Vivid, orange-pink salmon. It was so small that we couldn't remove the toilet when we painted (we opted for a nice, soothing sage green), so behind the commode is still salmon.
Words mean things.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
When I was young, in the early 80s, my parents lived in a rented flat which had a small powder room (so small a person could barely fit inside). The standard option was for leopard print flock wall paper with gold shimmer. In a very small powder room. Do I need to say how absolutely claustrophobic it was?

A few years ago, my parents were downsizing after my sister and I had left home. They were searching for a smaller apartment and, by coincidence, were shown one in that same building they had lived in so many years ago. It turns out it still had the original leopard print flock paper powder room. Only it was now over 25 years old. So not good.

Sanity Lost

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
We also saw one that was in the middle of a basement, with little walls around it.  It reminded me of a phone booth.  I suppose it would be handy in a house with only one full bath, if you just really both had to go...

LOL DH's and my first house had that. It was townhouse built in the 50's and it looks like the walls were an add on with a plastic sliding door in front of it. Fortunately it was built right next to the laundry hookups so we could use the laundry sink to wash our hands. I had DH install a little shelf and towel bar there for the handsoap and towel.

That same house had one bedroom painted in only what I could call sea sick pink. It was pink with a very orangey tint to it. It would make me nauseous just to walk in. First thing we did after signing the closing papers? Paint that room a lovely shade of blue.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
Is it wrong I almost can't wait to be house hunting so I can share stories?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Is it wrong I almost can't wait to be house hunting so I can share stories?

The crazy houses are almost better than the actual prospects!  I miss it :(

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »
The house my ex-husband still owns has a half-bath in the hallway, across from the laundry room. Just toilet and sink, mirror over sink, towel rack. Small room. And it was SALMON. Vivid, orange-pink salmon. It was so small that we couldn't remove the toilet when we painted (we opted for a nice, soothing sage green), so behind the commode is still salmon.

Should you ever need to again, you can paint behind a toilet by taping a paint pad to a stick.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Hillia

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
This happened to a friend of mine.  She and her husband rented a lovely old farmhouse.  The owner had lived there with 3 teenagers, and allowed them to paint their rooms however they liked.  Sound good?  It should, except:

Boy's room 1 was painted all over - ceiling, walls, etc - in camo.  Huge patterned camo.
Boy's room 2 was painted all over black, with a glow in the dark moon in one corner covering the ceiling and both walls
Girls room was painted day glo pink, with giant fluorescent flowers

It took her many, many, many buckets of primer to cover all that fluorescing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »
This happened to a friend of mine.  She and her husband rented a lovely old farmhouse.  The owner had lived there with 3 teenagers, and allowed them to paint their rooms however they liked.  Sound good?  It should, except:

Boy's room 1 was painted all over - ceiling, walls, etc - in camo.  Huge patterned camo.
Boy's room 2 was painted all over black, with a glow in the dark moon in one corner covering the ceiling and both walls

Ha!  I'd happily let my kids paint their rooms whatever color they want, as long as they're the ones that helped repaint it when they move out or get tired of it :D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
My brother painted his grey. Even the floor! And my closet was only partly done because my parents are cheap and didn't want to pay for extra materials to finish it. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/08/19/unreal-estate-800-year-old-skeleton-lives-in-swedish-house/

A cemetery in the backyard is enough to keep some people away, but how about a skeleton in the house....and in full view?

Reminds me of the documentary I saw about a South American village. People had 800+ year old ancestor skeletons in a special spot in the house or the yard, talked to / prayed to the ancestor, left it special gifts, etc

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »

Ha!  I'd happily let my kids paint their rooms whatever color they want, as long as they're the ones that helped repaint it when they move out or get tired of it :D

When I was little, my parents let me draw on my bedroom walls. Shocked my friends when they came over.

The room was redone when I was older.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/08/19/unreal-estate-800-year-old-skeleton-lives-in-swedish-house/

A cemetery in the backyard is enough to keep some people away, but how about a skeleton in the house....and in full view?

I would totally buy that house.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »

When I was little, my parents let me draw on my bedroom walls. Shocked my friends when they came over.

The room was redone when I was older.

I was allowed to paint whatever I wanted on my bedroom walls as a child/teenager. One wall I painted with a celestial themed mural. The sun in one corner, the moon in another, with clouds and stars all around. Another wall had dragons and random sketches drawn/painted on it. I painted my window and door frames with multi-colored tribal type patterns. Eventually I painted over everything with regular old pale lilac paint, when I was about 20.