Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 95896 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
There was this lovely Cape Cod with an addition I looked at. Well, lovely from the outside. On the inside, on the ground floor of the main part of the house, they had removed all the interior walls. It was just one big open space, with a square of vinyl flooring in the corner where the kitchen was, and carpeting over the rest of the floor. They had removed the stairs, and you had to go into the addition to get upstairs. And the new stairs opened into the only bathroom in the house. So to get up to the bedrooms, you had no choice but to walk through the bathroom.

It was just odd. At first I thought that perhaps someone with a physical disability had remodeled the house, but there were no other signs of handicapped adaptations anywhere.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

wheeitsme

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
There was a fancy pushbutton lock on the outside of the master bedroom...

(Turns out it was an older owner who liked to go on trips.  She'd lock her bedroom before she left)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
When I was house hunting for the house I'm in now, I toured a number of brand new townhouses.  Not only were they typical townhouses in that the rooms were really small, because they were new, the basements weren't finished.  In one of the houses, the exposed two by fours were visibly warped and full of knots.  I couldn't help thinking that if these were the ones they left exposed, what did the ones in the walls look like?  One of the other houses, in addition to the two by four issue, had an obvious structural issue with the basement stairs for which they'd attempted a very poor fix.

So not really weird features but more 'What the heck were the builder's thinking?'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
Maybe a pseudo-rustic, pseudo-industrial hybrid? Otherwise, I got zip.
Words mean things.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
There was this lovely Cape Cod with an addition I looked at. Well, lovely from the outside. On the inside, on the ground floor of the main part of the house, they had removed all the interior walls. It was just one big open space, with a square of vinyl flooring in the corner where the kitchen was, and carpeting over the rest of the floor. They had removed the stairs, and you had to go into the addition to get upstairs. And the new stairs opened into the only bathroom in the house. So to get up to the bedrooms, you had no choice but to walk through the bathroom.

It was just odd. At first I thought that perhaps someone with a physical disability had remodeled the house, but there were no other signs of handicapped adaptations anywhere.

My best friend in junior high had something like that. The only way into her parents' bedroom was through the bathroom. So awkward to walk into the bathroom at 1 am, notice two heads pop up and realize "Oh crap, shut the door! Geez, good thing I looked around first. Why didn't anyone tell me this ?  >:( "  Worst bathroom design ever.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
When my parents bought their last house, one of the bedrooms had been fixed up for a small boy and had a sports-themed streamer of wallpaper around the tops of the walls under the ceiling.  As I had just started college when they moved, and was living in the dorms at that time, they made that my bedroom as well as their study. 

It took a fire in the house to get that wallpaper removed when it was being rebuilt.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
I had a mid-60s lakefront house in FL. It had a built-in cutting board in the kitchen with the zodiac signs on it. Weird but kind of cool at the same time. Because it was our vacation home we had fun decorating on the cheap w/vintage stuff. I bought a real malt shop mixer (with 3 "stations"), a 50s linoleum-topped dinerish table for the kitchen and vintage swag lamps for the living area.

I had to sell the place during the divorce and I still miss it terribly.

I almost bought a NJ place that, while the house was built in 1885, its basement was from the 1930s That was a puzzle until I learned that the house likely had been moved in order to make way for the building of the Garden State Parkway.

Edited to fix error.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:23:56 PM by jaxsue »

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
A friend of mine bought a house with an...interesting...paint scheme.

The downstairs bathroom was done in weathered-wood "barn board" on three sides. The door was in vertical, black and white stripes.
Apparently, it was like being in a old west jail.

The main room downstairs was white.
With red splatters.
Kind of an 'abattoir' effect.

She painted. A lot.

JoW

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
A house I lived in for 1 year in grade school.  The upstairs bathroom had 2 doors, one to the master bedroom and 1 to my brothers' bedroom.  To get to that bathroom I had to walk through my brothers' room. 

Another house I lived in as a kid had a window over the kitchen sink that looked into the family room.  The family room had been added after the house was built and they didn't bother to remove that window.

A house where the owner proudly pointed out that the masterbedroom had an overlook into the living room.  In fact the overlook was only about 6 inches wide - too narrow to see anything, but wide enough that noise and light from the night owl downstairs would disturb someone trying to sleep upstairs.

A house with a cathedral celling in the living room.  The upstairs master bedroom had a window looking into that space.  It let the parents check up on young children without getting out of bed, but for an older couple it would be weird.

A house where the laundry room had doors to both the interior of the house and to outside.  That makes it a great mud room.  But there was a toilet in the room with no walls surrounding it.  Maybe usefull but definitely odd. 

House with an attached garage but no door between the house and garage.   

HorseFreak

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
My favourite was an acreage we wanted to check out. The realtor looked at us oddly and said "Do you like trains?" in what I can only describe as a psychoticly cheery tone.
Turns out there was a train track about 50 feet from the front door.
A bit too close for me, thanks.

I looked at a piece of property (not seriously, just peeked in the windows since it was vacant for years and looked at the website) that was really convenient to school. Unfortunately, two sets of train tracks were 15' directly behind the second floor bedroom window and a commuter train went by several times per day + many commercial trains. It also required a new roof and septic tank, but there was literally NOWHERE to put it as the tracks were on a mound that made up the back border of the property. It was doubtful one could even tear down the existing tiny house and rebuild legally since the whole property was teeny tiny and extended no more than 10' beyond each wall.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
A house I lived in for 1 year in grade school.  The upstairs bathroom had 2 doors, one to the master bedroom and 1 to my brothers' bedroom.  To get to that bathroom I had to walk through my brothers' room. 

Another house I lived in as a kid had a window over the kitchen sink that looked into the family room.  The family room had been added after the house was built and they didn't bother to remove that window.

A house where the owner proudly pointed out that the masterbedroom had an overlook into the living room.  In fact the overlook was only about 6 inches wide - too narrow to see anything, but wide enough that noise and light from the night owl downstairs would disturb someone trying to sleep upstairs.

A house with a cathedral celling in the living room.  The upstairs master bedroom had a window looking into that space.  It let the parents check up on young children without getting out of bed, but for an older couple it would be weird.

A house where the laundry room had doors to both the interior of the house and to outside.  That makes it a great mud room.  But there was a toilet in the room with no walls surrounding it.  Maybe usefull but definitely odd. 

House with an attached garage but no door between the house and garage.

Sophia Petrillo is in my head saying "You're a genius! I walk into the laundry room, and there's a toilet in front of the washer-dryer. It's an old lady's dream come true!"

One place we saw was completely done in animal print.  From walls to rugs, every sofa, chairs, bedroom sets and shower curtains were some sort of animal print.  The only thing I know that was not was the toilet and kitchen appliances.  It was frightening.

Then there was the mystery room house.  It was listed as 3/2, but none of us could find the master bedroom and bath.  We thought it was listed incorrectly.  We found it on the way out.  When the front door was open, it completely hid the doorway and there was kind of an optical illusion from the outside where you couldn't really determine the depth of the house.  It was strange.

One of my bedroom doors (well, I use it for a tv room) has a folding closet door to the right of it. Yep, when you open the bedroom door, it scratches up the closet door if you don't know about it. The bedroom door has to be locked while going through the closet. Otherwise it turns into one person opening the door and the person in the closet getting whacked by the door  ::)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:19:57 PM by TeamBhakta »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
One place we saw was completely done in animal print.  From walls to rugs, every sofa, chairs, bedroom sets and shower curtains were some sort of animal print.  The only thing I know that was not was the toilet and kitchen appliances.  It was frightening.

Then there was the mystery room house.  It was listed as 3/2, but none of us could find the master bedroom and bath.  We thought it was listed incorrectly.  We found it on the way out.  When the front door was open, it completely hid the doorway and there was kind of an optical illusion from the outside where you couldn't really determine the depth of the house.  It was strange. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
There was a fancy pushbutton lock on the outside of the master bedroom...

(Turns out it was an older owner who liked to go on trips.  She'd lock her bedroom before she left)

I once saw a house with 2 bedrooms with a chain and hook lock on the outside.  (was visiting)  Turns out that they were little kids and the parents didn't want to pay all that money for child gates so they locked their kids in the room.  ???

So um yeah we didn't stay too long.

lipli

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
My dad bought a house.  The previous owner apparently loved the color white.  Her entire living room was white - walls, carpet, furniture.  It was very creepy. But, that wasn't the odd part.  The "public" bathroom had pepto-pink tiles and cartoony frog and lily pad wall paper.  It was bizarre especially given the vanilla ice cream theme of the living room.  My dad ripped out the carpets (had awesome hardwood floors through out) and painted the rooms light colors.  But we kept the frog bathroom. 

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
I was looking at houses for sale online. One house would have been gorgeous, except the owners had a particular icon all over the house. It was a little eyeless character that resembled a gingerbread man. I don't know if they made him up, he's a famous carton or even a religious / political icon I've never heard of. Eyeless Gingerbread Man was in every.single.room. The dining room had a mirror hung up. All the way around the mirror, painted on the wall, were 2 foot tall rows of Eyeless Gingerbread Men holding hands and screaming.

Please post the link. Pretty please?