Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 97296 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Secret chamber?

Library & reading room

Crafts room and supply storage for those crafts

Computer room

Chocolate storage

Master bedroom

Playroom for the grandkids

Hide various collections in it - coins, stamps, music, books, chocolate bunnies..........

The bolded!  :-*

dtbrad

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
My house has the world's weirdest bathroom doors.  They are floor to ceiling saloon-type doors.  One whole door cut down the middle and swing both ways.  With 6 panes of glass in each.  Yes, I have curtains on them.  My house was build in 1906 without plumbing and so when the bathroom was added, the door would have blocked the whole hallway. This was actually a creative solution.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
My PILs have a "staircase to nowhere". It used to be their basement stairs. When they remodeled, they had the kitchen floor placed right over top of the stairwell, leaving the staircase and doorway at the bottom. They also put in what looks like a wood box with a lid in the kitchen, but if you open it you'll see the bottom steps of the original staircase. That's their laundry chute, and the tops steps they use for storage.

And I want a secret room! :D
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »
Secret chamber?

Library & reading room

Crafts room and supply storage for those crafts

Computer room

Chocolate storage

Master bedroom

Playroom for the grandkids

Hide various collections in it - coins, stamps, music, books, chocolate bunnies..........

The bolded!  :-*

Like this?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
A friend of mine has a house that has a really weird feature. They have a round alcove off their living room that they use a breakfast nook, which is really cool, and from the outside it looks like it's inside a turret that goes up higher than the house with a pointed roof. I assumed it was just an attractive feature and didn't think much of it, until one day I went to visit and when I made it to the living room, my friend was hanging upside down from a trap door in the ceiling of the breakfast nook. When I questioned him, he came down and gave me a tour: turns out there's a whole second floor of the turret, but it can only be accessed by climbing through the back of the upstairs linen closet and creeping down a long, low-ceiling-ed hallway. They cut the trap door in it so they could do the finish work on it to turn it into a playhouse sort of thing and it's got carpeting and drywall and wall sconces and it's furnished almost entirely with beanbags so it's a perfect reading room.

Very cool!  When I win the lottery and build my dream house, I'm determined to have a couple of secret passages (including at least one accessed by a sliding bookcase) and at least one completely secret room.  I haven't decided what I'd use it for, though. :)

The master bedroom?

The only person I know who has a secret room was a friend's uncle and his family. And the "secret room" (as in, the door was hidden by a cabnet and you had to open the cabnet and then open the door in the back of the cabnet) was the master bedroom. It was pretty cool.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

exitzero

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
The stairs ended at a door. I mean, right at a door. If you  didn't want to go into that room, you had to shimmy through a gap in the stair railing about 8" wide to get to the rest of the upstairs.

Someone, one day, thought that was a good idea.
It must have been a real circus watching people trying to move furniture into the other rooms through an 8" gap!!

They could have lifted it over the railing...still, it must have been ridiculous. While they were building it, NO ONE thought, "Hmm, if I just move this wall and door back a foot or two, my life would be SO much easier!"?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
I heard about, but it was rented before I could look at it, a rental place that was a converted water tower. I would have taken it sight unseen.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
There's an unused church near here that I'd love to convert into a house.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »
There's an unused church near here that I'd love to convert into a house.

That sounds awesome!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »
I heard about, but it was rented before I could look at it, a rental place that was a converted water tower. I would have taken it sight unseen.

That sounds interesting, but what kind of entrance would it have? The only ones I've seen are accessed by a ladder!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »

That sounds interesting, but what kind of entrance would it have? The only ones I've seen are accessed by a ladder!

I had much younger knees then.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Vall

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »
Eons ago I had a boyfriend who bought a home.  The house had lots of nice kitchen cabinets.  They also lined all of the walls in each bedroom with upper kitchen cabinets.  Good for storage but very, very odd.

When DH and I were looking at houses, we saw one that had a beautiful stone fireplace in the corner of the living room.  It really was beautiful.  The other downstairs rooms were large but needed some work (okay with us).  Upstairs, we opened one of the doors to go in, and were looking at the bare pipe for the fireplace.  Yep, they had just cut a hole in the wood floor and ran it up.  We had to turn to the side to squeeze into the room (it was a larger bedroom and this was the only access).  That had to be a fire code violation.

I'd love to have secret rooms and passageways too.  Very cool.

mandycorn

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
A friend of mine has a house that has a really weird feature. They have a round alcove off their living room that they use a breakfast nook, which is really cool, and from the outside it looks like it's inside a turret that goes up higher than the house with a pointed roof. I assumed it was just an attractive feature and didn't think much of it, until one day I went to visit and when I made it to the living room, my friend was hanging upside down from a trap door in the ceiling of the breakfast nook. When I questioned him, he came down and gave me a tour: turns out there's a whole second floor of the turret, but it can only be accessed by climbing through the back of the upstairs linen closet and creeping down a long, low-ceiling-ed hallway. They cut the trap door in it so they could do the finish work on it to turn it into a playhouse sort of thing and it's got carpeting and drywall and wall sconces and it's furnished almost entirely with beanbags so it's a perfect reading room.

I want this.  Minus the trap door.  Any windows in it?

Nope, it's excellent for napping ;)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Hillia

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
I looked at a rental place once that was a converted firehouse.  The truck garage (with pole) was still intact, and the bathroom hadn't been converted - it still had 3 stalls and 2 sinks.  Handy for throwing parties, I thought.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »

I want this.  Minus the trap door.  Any windows in it?

Nope, it's excellent for napping ;)
WANT!!!!  Beanbags and all!  It would make an excellent migraine room. 

I just remembered the house with the finished apertures in ALL interior doors.  I'm assuming they were for cats or small dogs, although there was no evidence in the house of either.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:54:30 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~