Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 86386 times)

Cydrius

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
Hoo boy, where to start, where to start.

When my father visited the house we now live in for the first time, before we entered the building, our estate agent told us not to pay attention to the decoration. It's a good thing he did too, because we were blown away when he opened the door. You see, the current owners had... odd tastes in decoration. Just to name what comes to mind, going room by room:

Living Room:
  • A decorative fountain in the middle of the living room.
  • A large collection of salt and pepper shakers in glass displays covering over half of the wall surface of the living room. (Easily a hundred pairs)
  • A fireplace in the living room and a fake electronic fireplace in the main hallway, both of which could be seen from the hall.
  • Table legs glued to the ceiling at an angle (the owner explained the concept, that it was as though the above neighbor's table was sinking through the ceiling)
  • A rope glued in a spiral to the living room ceiling, giving the image of a sun.

Hallway:
  • Shelves every step of the way, in fact, I don't recall seeing anywhere in the house a square foot of wall not including a shelf, most of which were covered by various knicknacks (some of which should have been put away before opening the house to the public. I'm looking at you, breast-shaped mug.)
  • Bead curtains in the place of doors on all closets.

Kitchen and dining room:
  • Dining room painted with green and yellow horizontal stripes, save for one wall painted in an impossibly elaborate mosaic that must have taken hours and hours.
  • More shelves, of course.

Laundry Room:
  • Painted hot pink, all I got to say.

Master Bedroom:
  • Entire master bedroom painted dark navy blue.
  • Canopy bed whose canopy was made of wood and reached about two feet down from the ceiling.
  • Shag carpeting

Extra Bedroom #1 (pretty large)
  • Apparently seldom used office space.
  • Much empty space.
  • Wallpaper on two walls featuring a large waterfall (a separate but identical one on each wall.
  • Non-matching color on opposite walls (I don't recall the color.)
  • Ceiling split in four triangles by wood moldings, with each triangle being painted a different color.

Extra Bedroom #2 (much smaller)
  • HUGE kids' bunk bed taking over half the room. The room looked so tiny because of it.
  • Teddy bear wallpaper, clearly a remainder from the room being used as a nursery.

There was more to it, but those are what I still remember, five years after the fact. It was very, very colorful, very loud, and very far from matching.

When we bought the house from them (the layout was great, the advantages was great, the place was well cared-for despite being garish and had some pretty clever features and a lot of storage), the owners seemed to think we loved their decoration and that we'd keep it intact. Of course, as soon as we moved in, all that madness was torn down and replaced with more normal stuff.

Another one of the houses we visited claimed to have three bedrooms. The third "bedroom" had the right size and furniture, but it had no walls and was open directly to the hallway on two sides. I don't even know how to describe it.

Ah, memories, memories.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:53:14 AM by Cydrius »

alegria

« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
You know, I can see having a hot pink laundry room if that's your thing.  It's not usually a big room, you're not in there constantly, and if it makes you smile then why the heck not?  Doesn't mean the next owners will like it, of course... :D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #452 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
You know, I can see having a hot pink laundry room if that's your thing.  It's not usually a big room, you're not in there constantly, and if it makes you smile then why the heck not?  Doesn't mean the next owners will like it, of course... :D

Yeah, the laundry room seems like a place you can easily go wild. Mine is robin's egg blue. Not a color I'd use anywhere else in the house, but it makes the small space cheerful.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Not only that, I'm sure you can get paint for a laundry room cheaply if you aren't really choosy about the color. 

magicdomino

« Reply #454 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Depending on how well it was done, I just might keep the table legs on the ceiling, the fountain in the living room, and maybe the kitchen mosaic, simply because my sense of humor twists that way.  I might even be tempted to keep the navy blue in the master bedroom, but the wood ceiling canopy would not play well with my wrought iron canopy bed.

Everything else can go.   :)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #455 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
In this summer humidity, there is no way I'd want a fountain in the living room!

Sounds neat, though.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #456 on: March 22, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »
In a really dry climate, having a fountain in the living room just might be heaven. :)
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Grancalla

« Reply #457 on: March 22, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
My family moved into a new house when I was in high school. One day, mom told me to go to the living room and count the windows.
Okay... 1,2
Now, go outside and count the windows.
1,2... 3?
It turns out, one of the previous owners had covered over the middle window in the living room in order to hang a very large piece of art. We'd lived there almost a year before anyone noticed.

And from house hunting:
In one house I looked at, the owner had "redone" the garage as a shrine to a local college football team. The walls were painted BRIGHT red. The floor was either painted, or had matching red carpet, I don't remember which. The side with the garage door was covered up, like the window in my old house, with the door itself still left on. It wasn't heated or air-conditioned, either.
But it gets weirder. The man's daughter had been helping show us around the place, and she'd had an unusual name. As I was driving away, I realized he'd also named his daughter after the football team...
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

Blondie

« Reply #458 on: March 22, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
And from house hunting:
In one house I looked at, the owner had "redone" the garage as a shrine to a local college football team. The walls were painted BRIGHT red. The floor was either painted, or had matching red carpet, I don't remember which. The side with the garage door was covered up, like the window in my old house, with the door itself still left on. It wasn't heated or air-conditioned, either.
But it gets weirder. The man's daughter had been helping show us around the place, and she'd had an unusual name. As I was driving away, I realized he'd also named his daughter after the football team...

Team name at least? I am driving myself crazy thinking about a kid somewhere out there named something like 49iera....
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #459 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
And from house hunting:

Team name at least? I am driving myself crazy thinking about a kid somewhere out there named something like 49iera....

With all that red, maybe the Cornhuskers? Did he name his daughter "Bugeater" (the old name for the team)?
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Grancalla

« Reply #460 on: March 22, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
And from house hunting:

He'd named her Crimson (for Crimson Tide). Not a bad name, really, until you realize where he got it.
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #461 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
Oh good. I'd hate to think of someone going through life being called "Bugeater"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #462 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
He'd named her Crimson (for Crimson Tide). Not a bad name, really, until you realize where he got it.

Did he have another child named Tyler?   ("And these are my children, Crimson 'n Ty.")

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #463 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
And from house hunting:

I hope for the daughter's sake that the local team was the Robins.  (Crimson?  It could have been worse - the two local teams here are the Ducks and the Beavers.  Can anyone tell where I am?)

JoW

« Reply #464 on: March 25, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
I hope for the daughter's sake that the local team was the Robins.  (Crimson?  It could have been worse - the two local teams here are the Ducks and the Beavers.  Can anyone tell where I am?)
Crimson Tide, University of Alabama.  I had to google it.

Like another poster I was concerned they were in Nebraska and the child was named Cornhusker or Herbie (the Cornusker's mascot).