Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 90959 times)

magicdomino

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #495 on: June 09, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »
Going on the assumption that my house is weird  ;), I've been mentally counting doors to bathrooms in friends' and relatives' houses.  The only ones with two doors between the bath and the rest of the house are baths in a master suite.*  On the other hand, none of them have a powder room opening directly into the kitchen either; it is usually around the corner off a hallway.  It's more economical to add plumbing to a place that already has plumbing, so I can see why a powder room would be located near a kitchen.  That's where the water is.

*Except for my house.  My master bath doesn't have  a door.  You can't see anything because of a glass block wall dividing it from a bit of hallway leading to the bedroom/study area, but it has crossed my mind that it is a good thing that I don't share it with anyone.

kitty_ev

« Reply #496 on: June 11, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Several had a downstairs toilet.... but the room for it came directly off the kitchen. Eeeew!

That is what happened when old houses had plumbing installed and the pantry was made into the bathroom.

Bathroom noises, even through a closed door, are Ewww! when we are eating or preparing a meal.

Oh, I'm fully aware of WHY there are toilets coming off the kitchen. It's just not hygienic. That's when building regulations now state that any new build houses or houses being remodelled need at least 2 closing doors between a toilet and the kitchen. It's not just the noises, it's the other associated bathroom... um.... atmosphere. Just not something you want nearby when you're cooking. Ever.

Only rarely have I seen a home with 2 closing doors between the kitchen and toilet. Even the most expensive house in the family has a huge dining room off the kitchen, a large foyer, than the powder room, which has the onlly closing door.

Our home has a kitchen, the small entryway for the front door, then the door to the bath is about 8 feet down a hallway; again, that's the only closing door. We have no issues with that.

I can only think of one home I've been in that had 2 closing doors, and the kitchen door was so in the way it was never closed and even may have been removed.

Where are you?

UK. It's one of the housing regulations here, so all new build houses and homes that are having interior renovations that are installing a downstairs toilet have to follow these regulations. Most of the older houses have had their interiors redone since these new regulations came in, so they have to abide by the new rules. The newer houses were designed with these building regs in mind anyway.

emwithme

« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2012, 04:48:20 AM »
Not any more - it's been changed this year.  For a long time it was two doors, but now it's just one.

IM(H)O, as long as the bathroom has a window that opens, or a good extractor fan, then there's no problem with only a single door. 

Many years ago, I was looking round rental properties with my (then) fiance.  We went to one property, looked round, noticed that there was only a toilet and sink in the (downstairs) "bathroom" and presumed that there would be another bathroom with a bath/shower upstairs.  But no.  All that was upstairs were the two bedrooms.

We asked the letting agent and she said "oh..." and lifted up what we thought was the (sole) kitchen work surface.  Underneath was a bath!  The top of the bath was at the right height for a worksurface, and the bottom of the bath was half way between the floor and the work surface height (If that makes sense!).  You'd have to use a step to get into the bath, and would then be sitting in the kitchen with your head at normal standing height, when you're sitting in the bath.

Oh. No...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
Not any more - it's been changed this year.  For a long time it was two doors, but now it's just one.

IM(H)O, as long as the bathroom has a window that opens, or a good extractor fan, then there's no problem with only a single door. 

Many years ago, I was looking round rental properties with my (then) fiance.  We went to one property, looked round, noticed that there was only a toilet and sink in the (downstairs) "bathroom" and presumed that there would be another bathroom with a bath/shower upstairs.  But no.  All that was upstairs were the two bedrooms.

We asked the letting agent and she said "oh..." and lifted up what we thought was the (sole) kitchen work surface.  Underneath was a bath!  The top of the bath was at the right height for a worksurface, and the bottom of the bath was half way between the floor and the work surface height (If that makes sense!).  You'd have to use a step to get into the bath, and would then be sitting in the kitchen with your head at normal standing height, when you're sitting in the bath.

Oh. No...

That is just bizarre, but I know bath tubs were often in the kitchen in the days before hot running water and central heating. The kitchen was warmer and the water could be heated right there.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
Our new home has one weirdness - the whole thing is PURPLE. It's a mobile home, and apparently this was a factory installed thing - purple carpets, purple trim, wallpaper with purple fans, living room trim with purple deco arches - it's purple everywhere you look.

One weirdness in our current home (other than the duct work that stops at the living room, leaving the dining room and den un-heated and un-air-conditioned, is the second front door. It's in the carport, and leads into the den. It's literally 10 feet from the front door. Why???? We also have our washer by our bedroom, and the dryer in the den - but that's sadly due to plumbing (there's no gas service to the back half of the house, and no water to the front). Just love hauling wet clothes across the entire length of the house.

magicdomino

« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
For years, my clothes washer was on one end of the basement, and the dryer was on the other.  When the house was built in the 1950's, the washer was placed under the kitchen, where the plumbing and a door to the backyard clothesline was located.  When a new-fangled electric dryer was purchased several years later, it was located next to the fuse box, rather than run a dedicated line all the way over to the washer area.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #501 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »
Odd feature, spotted from a friend's house.

They have a house which the original owner himself built.  Let's say there was lots of electrical code violations until a few months ago, when they were remodelling it.  Apparently, the owner bought wire on what was on sale that week. :o

Same house also has this weird little structure in the rather large backyard.  It looks like the house, but its separate.  It has two, teeny, tiny, rectangular rooms separated by a single, temporary plywood board, and looks like it could have been a toolshed, if not for the pet-shaped hole at the bottom of it.  It has a wall that is pretty much one giant, flat-topped arch, a door to the left of that wall (same wall with the door is the one with the pet shaped hole), and a window on the other side.  Very, very weird.

Also, another only one closing door between us and a toilet.  The floorplan is very open on the front.  You come in through the door, to the immediate left is our now dining room (formerly a family room), straight ahead is the hallway to the two bedrooms and one master (with bath), and one common bathroom.  On the right is the front of the house, which segues first into the kitchen (on the opposite of the kitchen was our former dining room, now holds an island), and then into the living room.  The living room might be an oddity to the rest of our housing tract; it's much larger.  Dad designed it according to the golden ratio for sound, so it's around 20x15 feet, length and width, (exact numbers escape me now) but the builders forgot to extend the back porch, so it's teeny tiny. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:43:55 PM by Kaora »

alegria

« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
Same house also has this weird little structure in the rather large backyard.  It looks like the house, but its separate.  It has two, teeny, tiny, rectangular rooms separated by a single, temporary plywood board, and looks like it could have been a toolshed, if not for the pet-shaped hole at the bottom of it.  It has a wall that is pretty much one giant, flat-topped arch, a door to the left of that wall (same wall with the door is the one with the pet shaped hole), and a window on the other side.  Very, very weird.

Could it be a garden shed which was split to make part of it a dog house?  We had a preexisting shed in the space that we turned into a kennel, so we built a wall inside it and put in a dog door so about 40% of the space is for the dogs, and the remaining 60% or so is for the lawnmower and other shed-like things.  Lots of airspace, it's weathertight, and big enough for all three of the border collies, it works perfectly for our purposes.  :)  I actually just cleaned it out this weekend and put a fresh batch of straw inside, which they use for bedding that won't get destroyed by tugging/playing or by them tracking water inside when it rains.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »

Could it be a garden shed which was split to make part of it a dog house?  We had a preexisting shed in the space that we turned into a kennel, so we built a wall inside it and put in a dog door so about 40% of the space is for the dogs, and the remaining 60% or so is for the lawnmower and other shed-like things.  Lots of airspace, it's weathertight, and big enough for all three of the border collies, it works perfectly for our purposes.  :)  I actually just cleaned it out this weekend and put a fresh batch of straw inside, which they use for bedding that won't get destroyed by tugging/playing or by them tracking water inside when it rains.

I never thought of that.  Could be, considering I couldn't figure out why someone would want to put a pet door in a toolshed in the first place.  I'd be afraid stuff inside the shed could hurt the critters, but a split building would make more sense.  Maybe I can bring this up to BF next time I talk to him.  Thanks.  :)

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
Resurrecting this thread because I love it.

DH and I have started thinking about buying a larger house in the next year or so and have started looking online at different areas and neighborhoods to narrow it down before the real hunt begins. One house really stood out. 11 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, two kitchens (the top floor has an apartment set up). It's almost 8,000 square feet on about 1/2 an acre. We had fun thinking of all we could do with that kind of space at the listed price and then read on. It also has a beauty salon in the basement and there is a church on the property that is included in the sales price, as well as the 12 parking spaces belonging to the church. I kind of wanted to go check it out until I discovered that the neighborhood is not the greatest.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
^^^  Sounds intriguing!

It also sounds like the "house" is a neighborhood unto itself!!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
When we were house shopping, I really hoped for either a decommissioned firehouse or a deconsecrated church. 
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
I would LOVE that!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

faithlessone

« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
When we were house shopping, I really hoped for either a decommissioned firehouse or a deconsecrated church. 

A house in the village next to mine is a deconsecrated church. It's an absolutely beautiful building, and I heard that the developers did an amazing job converting it into a lovely 2 bedroom house. Apparently there was quite the bidding war on it when it sold, because it made more than 4 times what was expected of it!!

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
^^^  Sounds intriguing!

It also sounds like the "house" is a neighborhood unto itself!!

It really is! There's also an activity room and workshop in the basement. Apparently it was previously used as a personal care home. The listing says the church building bears no value so it must be in pretty sad shape. They didn't even show any pictures of it.

I have a five year old son who would LOVE to live in a firehouse! That sounds really neat.